Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Concept

Chevrolet Introduces Colorado ZR2 Concept
Aggressively styled, more capable and driven by new 2.8L Duramax diesel engine
General Motors

November 19,2014

LOS ANGELES – Chevrolet today introduced the Colorado ZR2 concept – a vision of how Chevrolet could take the all-new midsize truck’s off-road capability to the next level. It also showcases the new 2.8L Duramax diesel engine that will arrive in the Colorado lineup later next year.

The aggressively styled concept builds on the capabilities of the production Colorado Z71 and advances the legacy of Chevrolet’s previous ZR2 production models.

“From the bold stance to the trail-ready special equipment, the Colorado ZR2 is all about the fun of driving where the pavement ends – and doing it in characteristic Chevy style,” said Tony Johnson, Colorado marketing manager. “Chevrolet has a heritage of the ZR2 representing the ultimate in production-based off-road capability and we’ll gauge the public’s interest in this concept as we continue to explore the possibilities for the all-new Colorado.”

The Colorado ZR2’s imposing stance is four inches wider than a production Colorado Z71, with features including new front and rear fascias designed to increase approach and departure angles when driving off road. Ground clearance and rough terrain are handled with a two-inch lift and integral skid plates, while the wider track helps enhance stability in potentially unstable situations.

The Colorado ZR2’s greater approach and departure angles – 30.7 and 22.7 degrees, respectively, versus the Z71’s 25/21 degrees – are enabled by all-new off-road fascias that drastically reduce front and rear overhang. They also feature integrated, flip-out aluminum tow hooks and the front fascia incorporates a built-in winch.

“The design of the ZR2 concept is all about functionality,” said Johnson. “It is inspired by the needs for traversing rock-strewn trails, as well as the aesthetics of competition-style vehicles such as pre-runners – with all elements contributing to safe, sustainable off-road driving.”

Mono-tube coil-over shock absorbers by King™ are designed for greater suspension travel and feature remote-mounted fluid reservoirs that add to the Colorado ZR2 concept’s capability. The reservoirs for the front shocks are accessible and mounted in the wraparound portion of the front fascia, while the capability of the shocks is matched with all-new front control arms.

Off-road traction is enhanced with electronic-locking front and rear differentials, which distribute torque to 275/65R18 off-road tires mounted on custom 18-inch aluminum multi-spoke, bead-lock-style wheels. The center section of the wheel design has a raw aluminum appearance with black accents, while the bolt-on bead lock cover is orange-anodized aluminum.

Custom wheel flares cover the larger off-road tires and increased track width, enhancing the truck’s purposeful stance. They’re complemented by custom rocker guards.

A matching spare wheel/tire assembly, with a quick-release handle, is mounted in the bed. The bed also features the protective spray-in bed liner available with production Colorado models, GearOn™ accessories and a 48-inch Hi-Lift jack – all necessities for the trail.

Additional exterior elements include an all-new grille and headlamp housings with blacked-out accents. The power dome-style hood is unique and echoes the design cues of Chevrolet’s Duramax-powered Silverado heavy-duty trucks.

The Colorado ZR2 wears a concept Cyprus Green exterior color, with Henna Orange accents and custom ZR2 identification on the rear fenders, tailgate and grille.

Inside, the concept off-roader features the same blend of capability and comfort found in the production Colorado Z71, with ZR2 logos embroidered on the front-seat headrests and embossed in the custom Chevrolet Accessories-based floor liners. The ZR2 logo is featured on the instrument cluster display, as well as a custom inclinometer that shows degree of incline from front to back, and side to side.

Additional electronic accessories have been added to the center stack to make the Colorado ZR2 a true off-road warrior. Incorporated into the piano key bank is AUX toggle and four additional toggles: two for winch in and winch out operation; and two for the electronic front- and rear-locking differentials.

The Jet Black leather-trimmed interior features orange stitching that complements the exterior’s orange accents.

All-new 2.8L Duramax diesel

The Colorado ZR2 concept’s new 2.8L Duramax diesel packs the power – an estimated 181 horsepower at 3,400 rpm and 369 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm – to tackle the toughest trails.

The 2.8L Duramax diesel is part of a new, global family of turbo-diesel four-cylinder engines designed to deliver more-efficient capability. It features a variable-geometry turbocharger for optimal power and efficiency across the rpm band and a balance shaft for greater smoothness.

“This new Duramax diesel engine will take efficient capability to an entirely new plateau for the midsize truck segment,” said Johnson. “Its broad torque band makes it very powerful at low rpm, while the turbocharged performance provides a confident feeling of immediate and smooth power on demand – attributes customers will appreciate when trailering.”

The engine is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission.

FAST FACT: Chevrolet introduced the ZR2 in 1994 on the compact S-10 pickup. It was added to the S-Series Blazer in 1996. It was available through 2003 on the S-10 and in 2005 on the Blazer. Chevrolet also offered the off-road-inspired S-10 BAJA from 1988 through 1991. Like the Colorado ZR2 concept, it was available with a racing-inspired bed-mounted spare tire.

Photography

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 11-19-2014 at 08:36 PM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I almost had you beat ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Need bigger photos! lol
Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
I try to avoid these kinds of posts but that is a stupid idea and an ugly execution. No clue why someone would buy that.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Awesome truck. Too bad it's just a concept and, if it even makes it to production, will not look anything like that. It's probably just a way to hype up the 2.8. I would have rather seen the 5.3 at a minimum for the ZR2 but it's irrelevant anyways.

Knowing GM, the ZR2 will probably end up a sticker package available on the Z71 optioned trucks.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
It looks great.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
I try to avoid these kinds of posts but that is a stupid idea and an ugly execution. No clue why someone would buy that.
I say you will be in the minority. I think its great. Its something GM has been missing from its trucks since the old S-10 ZR2
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Awesome truck. Too bad it's just a concept and, if it even makes it to production, will not look anything like that. It's probably just a way to hype up the 2.8. I would have rather seen the 5.3 at a minimum for the ZR2 but it's irrelevant anyways.

Knowing GM, the ZR2 will probably end up a sticker package available on the Z71 optioned trucks.
Remember when the Camaro concept was first shown in 2006 there were no plans at that time to build it...public fell in love with it and the rest is history.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Remember when the Camaro concept was first shown in 2006 there were no plans at that time to build it...public fell in love with it and the rest is history.
In my opinion, that's apples to oranges. Based on what I've read from fbodfather, the Camaro was going to come back when the time was right. The Colorado already exists and this concept is far more extreme than the Camaro concept was. It reminds me a lot of the Cheyenne concept from last year. Awesome truck but it remains just a concept.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 11-19-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Looks great, hope it comes to fruition. Chevy could use something to put against the Raptor while different size as we know with Jeep wranglers its not the size but how you use it. If it is truly off-road capable that's what matters. My next toy may be offroader more places to use that near me than my Camaro (no local tracks and most area weekdays only anyways).
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
In my opinion, that's apples to oranges. Based on what I've read from fbodyfather, the Camaro was going to come back when the time was right. The Colorado already exists and this concept is far more extreme than the Camaro concept was. It reminds me a lot of the Cheyenne concept from last year. Awesome truck but it remains just a concept.
If enough people show interest it will be built. That's my opinion...

FYI it's Fbodfather, not Fbodyfather.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
If enough people show interest it will be built. That's my opinion...

FYI it's Fbodfather, not Fbodyfather.
I'm one of those interested. I want a truck to take out to the desert when I go shooting. This would fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure if it had the y or not.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
In my opinion, that's apples to oranges. Based on what I've read from fbodfather, the Camaro was going to come back when the time was right. The Colorado already exists and this concept is far more extreme than the Camaro concept was. It reminds me a lot of the Cheyenne concept from last year. Awesome truck but it remains just a concept.
I don't feel it's that far off from a production ready model. Hopefully that's the case.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Only think I see that might be different is bumpers (to pass Pedestrian safety guidelines) similar to the jeep Rubicons removable sides that are only supposed to be off for off-roading.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote