Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
JSC81

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
After market exhaust benefits?

SS Camaro M6 Looking for information about gains vs stock. I read a ton of threads from different forums about the benefits. The most interesting part I got was from the CAI test which Jannety racing stated none of the exhaust he dyno'd added any additional HP. So his 700+ HP car is running stock. Additionally most say exhaust is sound you wont gain much HP really. From my understanding stock is mandrel bent and is pretty free flowing. I'm really lost on this decision.. I want an exhaust really for sound but if I can get one that has some sort of gains thats a plus. Anyone actually dyno their exhaust after install w/o any other mods? I was looking at cheap route if this holds true possibly the flowmaster AT's or just an axle back borla atak. Just looking for some input before I blow a bunch of money on something that has just been hyped up.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
JSC81

So 54 views and this is the best anyone can come up with?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Any cat-back exhaust will be mostly for sound. The gains would be minimal. If you want gains and an improved sound, I would shoot for long tube headers.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
As you've pointed out, the stock exhaust is pretty free flowing, so back pressure loss is minimal. I don't see a benefit other than sound and looks in aftermarket Axle Back or Cat back systems. The general consensus around the forums (and Jennety's findings) is 0HP gains from an AM exhaust.

if you are looking HP gains, CAI and long tube headers are the next logical bolt on item before a CAM and lifter swap, or, Supercharger. Also, taking your car to a dyno and getting the car tuned will yield more HP.
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Any cat-back exhaust will be mostly for sound. The gains would be minimal. If you want gains and an improved sound, I would shoot for long tube headers.
+1

You have to know how a exhaust makes HP. It has to relieve backpressure to make more HP. Now go through the OEM setup and see where you can relieve a significant amount of backpressure to achieve decent HP gains. Looking from the cats and back, the tubing is 2.5in pressbent. Yes it's pressbent but there's not any big bends in the OEM system. There is the flattened section, right before the H-pipe. It may be worth 1-2hp there. The OEM H-pipe can be replaced with a better flowing X-pipe and the resonators can be deleted. That may be worth 3-5hp. Just about all aftermarket catbacks use the X-pipe design. The mufflers are straight through so no gains to be had there either. It's been shown that 2.5in is MORE than enough for the engine in OEM and even moderately modified form. That leaves you with roughtly 4-7hp to be made with a catback system. That isn't a bad gain but when you consider that most SS catbacks are in the $1k+ range you're looking at $150+/hp. Now compare that to a CAI that nets 10-15hp for $300-500 ($20+/hp), Headers ($35+/hp), FI ($45+/hp).
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
JSC81

Headers are definatly on my list of things to do. I just dont know if I want to deal with the hassle of the dealership for service if something breaks in the future having to uninstall them. To include I heard a few on youtube that sounded like they had glasspacks(possibly to loud for my taste) My reasoning behind this post was really just to get the most bang for my buck. I dont understand why people would pay the insane prices for Borla etc when all in all what are you really getting out of it? If you want sound then why not go with an Xpipe and axle back and save some cash?

Edit: Just found this post wow how restritive this has to be.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75846

Last edited by JSC81; 05-05-2010 at 06:53 PM.
JSC81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
I just installed Dynatech 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats with the stock LS3 exhaust . It definitely picked up the volume , no drone and the best thing is its louder when your on it and just throaty deep when cruising .
I'll post a vid tomorrow .
Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
It might just have been me but the car came to life with my corsa
rico-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I have the flowmaster AT catback and I love it.. has amazing tone and hits those harmonic sweet spots that flowmaster is famed for! :-)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
I have the flowmaster AT catback and I love it.. has amazing tone and hits those harmonic sweet spots that flowmaster is famed for! :-)

Me too!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xchamp View Post
I just installed Dynatech 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats with the stock LS3 exhaust . It definitely picked up the volume , no drone and the best thing is its louder when your on it and just throaty deep when cruising .
I'll post a vid tomorrow .
http://www.youtube.com/user/champ4x#p/a/u/0/_M1WfZMW3EY
Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
JSC81

Going to go with Flowmaster AT's. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for except after all the research I've looked for here deciding on exhaust and even CAI really. I'll do long tubes once the factory warranty expires.. Which sucks because I would love to do that first but I dont have cash to throw around on repairs that could be done for free. Nor do I want to uninstall them everytime something goes wrong.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC81 View Post
SS Camaro M6 Looking for information about gains vs stock. I read a ton of threads from different forums about the benefits. The most interesting part I got was from the CAI test which Jannety racing stated none of the exhaust he dyno'd added any additional HP. So his 700+ HP car is running stock. Additionally most say exhaust is sound you wont gain much HP really. From my understanding stock is mandrel bent and is pretty free flowing. I'm really lost on this decision.. I want an exhaust really for sound but if I can get one that has some sort of gains thats a plus. Anyone actually dyno their exhaust after install w/o any other mods? I was looking at cheap route if this holds true possibly the flowmaster AT's or just an axle back borla atak. Just looking for some input before I blow a bunch of money on something that has just been hyped up.
You have the same questions as so many, everyone wants to believe that if they spend money they get HP.

So I test Parts and combinations Daily and report the information truthfully, and I make Recommendations based on the test Data.

The Factories have really stepped up the Exhaust Programs and build some Killer systems that make Max Power and get Max MPG.

If you want to Change Sound or Looks then and aftermarket Exhaust system is the way to go, just don't expect any performance gains, this goes for LS3 and L99.

I was on the Dyno with a Camaro We built, last Thursday, it made 603 RWHP on pump gas, and was equipped with QTP Exhaust cutouts that we also installed.

Now if there was any HP to gain from Exhaust changes Cutouts would find it and FAST.

I did back to back pulls Open and closed HP and Torque Were IDENTICAL Just Louder.

I am happy to discuss your project, make recommendations, and provide you with the parts you need to achieve your goals.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote