Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #43
Dice69

Drives: Camaro SS
This has started to happen to me. It is now at 17k miles and the squeal noise begins when the car cold starts, then eventually going away after about a 10 minute drive. I think its the ac belt,pulley. I will look into it after work and let you guys and gals know whats up. The noise is enough to drive me insane.
Dice69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #44
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Mine has it too with 250 miles on it.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #45
Dice69

Ok update.. Woke up with a bad hang over and the noise only made me wanna blow up the car. But I'm not. Anyways, I noticed the ac belt was off one groove. It sits on top of the crank. Anyone know why this happens?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #46
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice69 View Post
Ok update.. Woke up with a bad hang over and the noise only made me wanna blow up the car. But I'm not. Anyways, I noticed the ac belt was off one groove. It sits on top of the crank. Anyone know why this happens?
The senior service guy I deal with at my dealer told me when I had mine done that it's just load on the system from WOT and then letting off, eventually it 'hops' off due to centrifugal force? I'm no engineer.

He did say, that there was no TSB at the time and he was going to go to some service meeting with some GM people at some point and escalate it to make sure it is known to either become a TSB or make sure it is in the process of being made into a TSB.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #47
Dice69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_GM View Post
The senior service guy I deal with at my dealer told me when I had mine done that it's just load on the system from WOT and then letting off, eventually it 'hops' off due to centrifugal force? I'm no engineer.

He did say, that there was no TSB at the time and he was going to go to some service meeting with some GM people at some point and escalate it to make sure it is known to either become a TSB or make sure it is in the process of being made into a TSB.

Take it for what it's worth.
This makes sense. For now im just going to loosen up the crankshaft, align the belt and see what happens after. And thanks for the tip Blake.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #48
insomniac2k2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM
I have this exact issue. I will go inspect the belt later on today.

I had taken it into the dealership, and I was so irritated with their lack of interest into looking into the issue and overall treatment(held my car for 2 days and lied several times about "looking at it". Day 2, they never even started my car.), that I will never purchase a car or have warranty work done with them again. (yes, different topic). I wont even go into the second gear grind issue that they wont look into either. If your in the bay area, do yourself a favor and stear clear of Concord Chevrolet......

It's good to hear that I will just be able to fix this myself, or at least pay a competent shop to do it.
insomniac2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #49
camarols3

Drives: camaro 2010 ss
guys im having the same problem with my car but im not sure if its from the belt or from the release baring in the clutch cz when i press the clutch the voice is gone and when i remove my leg from the clutch the noisy voice is back again !

any ideas ??
camarols3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #50
Live4redline

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Mine just started making the same noise.. I'm assuming its the ac compressor by everyones post?
Live4redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #51
schoen311

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Synergy Green
At 375 miles, mine developed a squeak. Upon inspection, we noticed the harmonic balancer wobbling! he belt was a tooth off too! Really!!! On a brand new car. I was less than pleased.

My dealer immediately took it in and was fixed in 2 days. All new belts, new HB bolt. Said it's fixed. No more squeak, but when I look, the HB still seems to wobble. I am concerned that with the wobble, it's just gonna keep walking that belt off without me knowing and eventually ruining something.

Anyone else having the wobble in the balancer?

Ugh.
schoen311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #52
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
I was told to spray water on the belt to see if its the culprit. I did and it got perfectly quiet for just a few seconds.
Guess I need a new belt.

Marc
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #53
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
Ok, I took a closer look today and found my ac belt was one rib off the pulley!! Rotated the pulley while twisting the belt and its back into position. After a 60 mile drive the squeak is gone.

Marc
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #54
TimSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
This appears to be a veryyy common problem. I've gone through 3 different belts on my 2011. It was squealing, I could smell it burning from the friction, and It was 2 ribs off. The first time that I went in, they cut the belt off and replaced it saying that someone probably stretched it by taking it off and putting it back on (which didn't happen), but they did it under warranty. The second time, they cut it off and left it off while we waited for a new harmonic balancer to be shipped. They put the new balancer on, slapped a belt on it and it works fine. I still check every now and again to make sure it's not happening again.

To anyone who attempts to get this fixed:
After you get it fixed, I would check at least once a week afterwards to make sure it really was fixed! Sometimes, just replacing the belt doesn't fix the problem.
TimSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #55
mrgm
cheap and fast

Drives: older
agreed. took us two trips to dealer for them to order new balancer.
mrgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #56
GarySS

Drives: 2012 RS/SS L99 A6 Muffler delete
Just looked and I'm having the same issue. Here are a couple photos of the misaligned belt.
GarySS is offline   Reply With Quote