Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Noise from valves

I have a Vengeance stage 2 cam, upgraded push rods, double springs, upgraded trunion kit!

I know your going to hear the valves because of the headers!

So I took off the valve cover for a visual inspection, everything looked fine!

My questions are as follows:
Are the rocker arms suppose to move side to side? Some do, some don't, but the movement is very minimal (1/8")!

Second what is this and why was it sitting in the bottom of the pan where the valves and stuff are!

It's a tiny spring about 1 1/2" long!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd turn your engine over a full turn by the crank bolt and see if different rockers now have that little play. That will tell you if it is normal, and it is just some that have spring pressure on them.

For the noise, I'd get a mechanics stethoscope and try to pinpoint the noise. Is it worse cold for the first few seconds..... maybe lifters or a loose fitting piston. Is it worse hot... check the hot oil pressure, the lower it gets hot the noisier the lifters will be. Possible oil pump issue or pickup o ring. Is it the back cylinders on each side, near the firewall... and lowish idle oil pressure hot? I had one like that, a blueprinted oil pump fixed it. These engines don't like low hot oil pressure, especially with stiffer springs. If your spring pressure is increased, a little bump to the oil pressure would be ideal.

Also watch out for the oil to be too full. It can be aerating. Keep it a bit below the full mark. A bad pump can do the same thing - aerate the oil after a few minutes of running. That will be an engine that is quiet on start up, then after 10-15 minutes has tapping lifters.

I'd look over the valve cover closely to see if that piece came out of the valve covers. Maybe where the bolts go through?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You are fine.......its gonna be noisy.....and yes, the rockers will move around a bit.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
csjcsj

I forgot to mention this part! It's noisy between 2000 and 4000 RPM's in 1st through 3rd gears! It wasn't that noisy 3 or 4 weeks ago! Rest of gears it is faint!!! Maybe that will help my question!!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
I have a Vengeance stage 2 cam, upgraded push rods, double springs, upgraded trunion kit!

I know your going to hear the valves because of the headers!

So I took off the valve cover for a visual inspection, everything looked fine!

My questions are as follows:
Are the rocker arms suppose to move side to side? Some do, some don't, but the movement is very minimal (1/8")!

Second what is this and why was it sitting in the bottom of the pan where the valves and stuff are!

It's a tiny spring about 1 1/2" long!
This spring looks like what you would find on the inside of a lip seal, for tension. Not sure what would be that area of the engine that would use such a seal, but that's what that spring is from.
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
csjcsj

Thanks! I found out from my neighbor what it was! We think it was accidentally dropped in where the rockers and springs are!