Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
storm83

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
Drone...

I put an aftermarket cat-back system on this weekend and it has a bad drone (the instrument panel is rattling at around 2k rpm). I have a L99 still with the AFM, but it has the same drone if I use the paddle shifters (so I really don't think its the AFM kicking in, I can hear that too but its almost drowning in the drone). Would a tune help this or will the drone still be there?

I have been thinking about solutions. and came up with three potential: 1. put a resonated x pipe, 2. put two resonators after the existing x 3. put a Helmholz bend on like has been described on these forums 4. put fatmat in the trunk.

What do you think would be the best solution?

And please no comments like Man up or live with it... This is a horrible resonance frequency in the cabin not V8 as it should sound.
storm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Which system did you get?

A resonated Xpipe might help some, but it probably won't eliminate it.
Helmoltz tube might fix it.
Dynamat won't fix it, just muffle it some.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
sgseward

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
I added a Magnaflow Street Catback to by L99 a few weeks ago. I've never noticed the "drone", just that damn AFM noise that's been there since we bought the car. Mine goes away when I drive it in Manual mode though which is why I'm going to turn off AFM! Are you sure it's not AFM noise? On a couple of occasions I've had my AFM kick in for no reason while using the paddles, though it goes away once I shift it up or down.

I went with the Street because I feared the drone! I think I made a good choice.

Steve
sgseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The only thing that really gets rid of the drone are tuning pipe. They are deadended pipes that reverberate the sound back into the exhaust to cancel the drone. Depending on your current system there is probably an option out there. The Solo exhaust guys could help you out with a recommendation. I know a couple people who have had good luck with this even when the original exhaust wasn't one of theirs.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Which system did you get?

A resonated Xpipe might help some, but it probably won't eliminate it.
Helmoltz tube might fix it.
Dynamat won't fix it, just muffle it some.
+1

Or just buy the Corsa catback no drone and everyone who has it says the same.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
storm83

So I am looking around for resonators. But oddly enough they don't specify what frequencies they target, you would think that would be of interest.

As for two straight resonators or resonated X, what is the difference in sound cancelling? I am just assuming that these resonators in someway are helmholtz style cavities as well, just not a tube, or am I wrong?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
28" Helmholtz chambers on each pipe will fix you up. And that's the truth.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm83 View Post
I put an aftermarket cat-back system on this weekend and it has a bad drone (the instrument panel is rattling at around 2k rpm). I have a L99 still with the AFM, but it has the same drone if I use the paddle shifters (so I really don't think its the AFM kicking in, I can hear that too but its almost drowning in the drone). Would a tune help this or will the drone still be there?

I have been thinking about solutions. and came up with three potential: 1. put a resonated x pipe, 2. put two resonators after the existing x 3. put a Helmholz bend on like has been described on these forums 4. put fatmat in the trunk.

And please no comments like Man up or live with it... This is a horrible resonance frequency in the cabin not V8 as it should sound.
do us a favor and post some exhaust/interior drone videos... to show us how bad - bad is.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
corsa is really the man... they give one of the loudest cat backs with no drone
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
I tried the muffled X-pipe - made the drone worse. I like the J-pipe much better. But, it does make the system a little quieter.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Here we go again......DRONE.......

Corsa is the ONLY one that won't make your head pop......

I wasted time and money till I got the Corsa system.
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
My Borla-S type has a little drone, but its not bad at all.

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
mbspeed

Drives: 2015 CAMARO SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm83 View Post

the same thing happened to me i put 4 different exhaust systems on my ss b4 i went with corsa i listened to the guys on this fourm and they are 100 % correct no drone with corsa hope you can send your exhaust back good luck
mbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
storm83

But I don't really feel like spending $1200+ for another system. It will be fixing this or going back to stock...
I will give a J-tube a try next weekend or the weekend after, busy at work right now... Does it matter if it goes before or after the mufflers?