Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Borla Sport Exhaust v's GMPP Catback

I just got off the phone with a guy with Borla and he gave me lots of great info.I asked him questions about the GMPP cat-back exhaust which they built verses there Cat-back Exhaust.He said there was a tremendous difference between GMPP's product and there complete Cat-back.He said the GMPP product was designed with alot more restrictions and would not make much difference in HP or Sound.Borla makes two systems for the 2010 Camaro a Sport and a Touring.He said the Sport system sounds awesome and on the dyno produced 6.2% increase in flow and get this 27 to 28HP increase.Please don't jump on me about those numbers that is what I was told.The touring is not as aggressive of a system.I was all set to buy the GMPP Cat-back until he said it will not make much difference in HP or in Sound.His exact words was lots of people are going to waste there money buying the GMPP Cat-back system.He said that they will beable to deliver there exhaust systems the first week of May.
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
I was under the impression that GMPP system was only axle back
But I am defiantly doing the sport system... Sounds incredible on the C6 LS3...
By the way. Buy from Summit, you can save a couple hun rather then Borla directly.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...earchType=Make
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

Last edited by MrGazinya; 04-20-2009 at 04:13 PM.
MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Wow! Great info. And THANK YOU. Because I was also about to buy the GMPP exhaust, I figured if it was built by Borla, then it must be about the same as their products, and the GMPP parts are warranteed and such. Guess I wont be now. And if those HP numbers are legit, that is AMAZING. That would make them totally worth the cost! Again, great info and thanks!

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
I was under the impression that GMPP system was only axle back
But I am defiantly doing the sport system... Sounds incredible on the C6 LS3
nope.

Cat-back. look at the mod threads in my sig
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
wow thats cool info, i didn't know the stock system was restricting that much power but i guess it would have too, to be quiet
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
wow thats cool info, i didn't know the stock system was restricting that much power but i guess it would have too, to be quiet
Yeah.. It seems crazy GM would sacrifice that kind of HP. We will see how these HP numbers hold up. Ive got my fingers crossed, but we'll see.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Rothnak

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS Camaro
Wow that is really cool. It would be even more amazing to see a comparison vid of the GMPP vs. Borla exhaust setups in the coming months.

I hope you guys who get your cars soon plan on doing the dirty guinea pig work for the rest of us!
Rothnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnak View Post
Wow that is really cool. It would be even more amazing to see a comparison vid of the GMPP vs. Borla exhaust setups in the coming months.

I hope you guys who get your cars soon plan on doing the dirty guinea pig work for the rest of us!
I am so tempted to buy this exhaust today.... But I guess I'll wait
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
I just got off the phone with a guy with Borla and he gave me lots of great info.I asked him questions about the GMPP cat-back exhaust which they built verses there Cat-back Exhaust.He said there was a tremendous difference between GMPP's product and there complete Cat-back.He said the GMPP product was designed with alot more restrictions and would not make much difference in HP or Sound.Borla makes two systems for the 2010 Camaro a Sport and a Touring.He said the Sport system sounds awesome and on the dyno produced 6.2% increase in flow and get this 27 to 28HP increase.Please don't jump on me about those numbers that is what I was told.The touring is not as aggressive of a system.I was all set to buy the GMPP Cat-back until he said it will not make much difference in HP or in Sound.His exact words was lots of people are going to waste there money buying the GMPP Cat-back system.He said that they will beable to deliver there exhaust systems the first week of May.
$1500 for shiny pipes, no thanks imo. Ill wait for KOOKs to release their LT's, off road X pipe and their cat back, that will cost ~$2k but you get so much more. (ref: pontiac g8 system)
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
.He said the Sport system sounds awesome and on the dyno produced 6.2% increase in flow and get this 27 to 28HP increase.Please don't jump on me about those numbers that is what I was told..
Not jumping on you, but if anyone up here thinks there gonna get that, well
your not!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
your not!!!
It's not impossible. It's very unlikely but not impossible. There are vehicles with suffocating exhausts that can see large gains, but I'm not convinced the Camaro will be one of them.

I'd be willing to guess at 15 rwhp gains in a perfect world.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
It's not impossible. It's very unlikely but not impossible. There are vehicles with suffocating exhausts that can see large gains, but I'm not convinced the Camaro will be one of them.

I'd be willing to guess at 15 rwhp gains in a perfect world.
The Tom Henry Camaro with rockers, exhaust, intake, long tubes and a tune
only gets 16 more hp with all of those mods. I would say the stock SS is
pretty darn good at least based on those numbers.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
your not!!!
That is why I said don't jump on me.I know those numbers are pretty impossible.The guy I talked to looked these numbers up on his computer and read them off of there Dyno sheet.If it could produce 15+ it will be worth the $1294.00 from summit racing.I ordered the Borla Sport Exhaust system from Summit Racing with shipping and everything it was $1306.00.The guy with Borla said the the guy that tested the Sport Exhaust couldn't shut up about how good it sounded on the SS Camaro.He also said the guy that has been testing the touring Exhaust said it was nice ,but it was to quit for him. The guy I talked to with Borla was as helpful as I have come across in along time.
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
mmarcum

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro SS
Would there be a significant difference in horsepower gains between the Sport and the Touring models?

Event code 1100 on 1/24
Event code 3000 on 3/24
Event code 3400 on 4/27
Back to event code 3000 on 5/1
Event code 3800 on 5/5
Event code 4B00 on 5/5
Event code 4200 on 5/22
Event code 6000 on 6/3!

VIN# 2G1FT1EW6A9107395
mmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote