Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Anyone else's sidemarkers look like this?

This is now the 3rd set of ghosted sidemarkers I've gotten from AAC. They keep coming back too dim. First I was told the paint was being applied too thick, which is understandable, but now I'm being told that's just how their suppose to look. This picture was taken as it was starting to get dark outside.

The first set I got, half of them were working fine (pictured left) and the other half were too dim (pictured right). So I know how their suppose to look. I just don't understand why I can't get a set that works?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
SSRSin2010

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
This is now the 3rd set of ghosted sidemarkers I've gotten from AAC. They keep coming back too dim. First I was told the paint was being applied too thick, which is understandable, but now I'm being told that's just how their suppose to look. This picture was taken as it was starting to get dark outside.

The first set I got, half of them were working fine (pictured left) and the other half were too dim (pictured right). So I know how their suppose to look. I just don't understand why I can't get a set that works?

Is it always the same ones that dont seem to work right? Might want to check the voltage at the sidemarker socket, that'll make sure its the light and not a bad ground or voltage issue on the car.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
butters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRSin2010 View Post
Is it always the same ones that dont seem to work right? Might want to check the voltage at the sidemarker socket, that'll make sure its the light and not a bad ground or voltage issue on the car.
The first batch I got, 2 were bad. The second and third batch I got, all 4 were bad. I've tested them on both sides of the car. So I'm almost certain its a paint issue.

Is there a way to check voltage?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
that looks like an issue with the resistors on the LED boards.. no way to tell without cracking them open, but it sure looks to me like they might have a short internally, probably due to a crappy soldering job at the contact points of either the wires or where they split the original board.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
butters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
that looks like an issue with the resistors on the LED boards.. no way to tell without cracking them open, but it sure looks to me like they might have a short internally, probably due to a crappy soldering job at the contact points of either the wires or where they split the original board.
Makes sense. What are the odds though they screw that up 3x for the same customer?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Makes sense. What are the odds though they screw that up 3x for the same customer?

well if it is the same person making the kit, chances are pretty good.

they aren't made to order, just a kid sitting there making them over and over, if he fubared a whole lot of them at one time no one will know until they get the complaint.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
butters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
well if it is the same person making the kit, chances are pretty good.

they aren't made to order, just a kid sitting there making them over and over, if he fubared a whole lot of them at one time no one will know until they get the complaint.
Thanks for the info, you've been more helpful than AAC.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Sw0rdf1sh

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary - No Stripe
All of mine are the same brightness as the one on the right. I guess I should really look at it more at night to see if there is some issue.

Looking at a lot of the pics on the Side Marker thread, there are quite a few that seem brighter than mine, but because they are all the same I thought maybe that is the way it should be?

Mine are also ghosted. Are they supposed to be bright as heck or not?

2012 45th Anniversary LT2; Stripe Delete; MnP Carbon Fiber Bowtie Inserts; ORACLE Concept SMD Sidemarkers; Oracle LED License Plate Bulbs, ProClip Center Speaker Mounted Samsung Galaxy Tab, Sequential Taillights
Sw0rdf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
butters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0rdf1sh View Post
All of mine are the same brightness as the one on the right. I guess I should really look at it more at night to see if there is some issue.

Looking at a lot of the pics on the Side Marker thread, there are quite a few that seem brighter than mine, but because they are all the same I thought maybe that is the way it should be?

Mine are also ghosted. Are they supposed to be bright as heck or not?
From what I've seen up-close and in pictures, their suppose to be pretty bright. How long ago did you order yours?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Camaroowner77

Drives: The Red Menace
Mine are ghosted and they are WAYYY brighter than both of yours. When mine light up its a solid bar of light not individual leds I wouldnt be supprised that something is wrong with them.

And that pic was took during the day!
Camaroowner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
butters

thanks for posting, that's a huge difference!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
You have to realize they are normally so bright and vivid that a lot of people are having trouble with cops saying the fronts are red. I don't think a cop would pull you over if they weren't VERY bright bordering on red or not.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Mine are very bright even during the day both front and back
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Sw0rdf1sh

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary - No Stripe
All mine are absolutely like the ones on the right.

It doesn't bother me actually, I think it looks good.....just always thought it was strange they didn't seem to GLOW like all the pictures that I see.

I have been beside and have had conversations while in my car with multiple LEO's and it has never been mentioned that my lights were illegal.

2012 45th Anniversary LT2; Stripe Delete; MnP Carbon Fiber Bowtie Inserts; ORACLE Concept SMD Sidemarkers; Oracle LED License Plate Bulbs, ProClip Center Speaker Mounted Samsung Galaxy Tab, Sequential Taillights
Sw0rdf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote