Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
Staying in Iraq until it comes out!

Yes that's right, haha I'm going to stay in this craphole and save me some money until I can drive the new Camaro off the lot. :P Although I'm not military I am a civilian here, so I make more money, which means more money for mods too.

I am a bit discerned though, not sure if they plan to do the same thing as the Mustang, where they released regular V6 and V8 stangs....then a year or two later special editions like the Roush and Saleen and the sort. I just don't know if I should buy the exact first ones or wait for something possibly better. Besides, I read here a couple months ago the gossip of Steve Saleen talking with Chevy about a possible Saleen Camaro???? I haven't heard anything further on that, I'm guessing that could possibly not happen as well.... Oh well.
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
According to fbodfather, Saleen won't be touching any Camaros...don't know if that still holds true or not, though...as some things Steve Saleen has said have come true.
I doubt that the "special" Camaros will come out immediately with the standard versions, either

but, on a slight tangent...you're a civilian, and you're going to stay in Iraq?!?! First off, what were you doing there to begin with? And where are you that it's decent enough to stay?! :eek:
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Oh the lengths that we will go to for our beloved Camaro.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
hftech

lol. I'm a DOD contractor. I work on computers and communications equipment for the Army and other branches. My boss was like "feel like making 4X your normal salary???" and I was like "sure" haha. But it isn't too bad, no beer! Haha, every now and then a rocket will fly overhead and completely miss everyone, stupid insurgents. But yesthe things we do for the beloved Camaro.

Maybe I'll just buy one right away and then if a bigger badder better version comes out maybe trade it in??!!??!!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by hftech View Post
lol. I'm a DOD contractor. I work on computers and communications equipment for the Army and other branches. My boss was like "feel like making 4X your normal salary???" and I was like "sure" haha. But it isn't too bad, no beer! Haha, every now and then a rocket will fly overhead and completely miss everyone, stupid insurgents. But yesthe things we do for the beloved Camaro.

Maybe I'll just buy one right away and then if a bigger badder better version comes out maybe trade it in??!!??!!
to you sir, you've got nutz...
Anyways, that sounds like a good plan, to me Just means you'll have to take real good care of the first car.:p
Old 10-05-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Welcome to the site, hftech. It's going to be nice paying off a new Camaro in cash!!! I'd wait...see what comes available. But, then again...you could buy a top of the line to trade it in for an even better model. Personally, I'm waiting...due to having to pay off the other car first.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
hftech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Welcome to the site, hftech. It's going to be nice paying off a new Camaro in cash!!! I'd wait...see what comes available. But, then again...you could buy a top of the line to trade it in for an even better model. Personally, I'm waiting...due to having to pay off the other car first.
True. I just bought me a pre-built Harley Sportster 1200 with cash 2 weeks ago. It'll be built for me and ready to go soon as I get back, can't wait for that as well!

Yeah I'm undecided on whether to wait or not, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what is down the road for Chevy.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yup...let's see what they offer out of the gate....go from there.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I have looked a couple of times at doing some contract work overseas, the money paid is crazy... but risks and inconveniences are crazy too. Good luck man may you come back safe and sound. We may have to chat about it over there some time.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
hftech

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
I have looked a couple of times at doing some contract work overseas, the money paid is crazy... but risks and inconveniences are crazy too. Good luck man may you come back safe and sound. We may have to chat about it over there some time.
It's actually not as bad as people make it sound. I live in a trailer on Camp Victory, the base is heavily guarded, so no one makes it on base without the proper identification. OCCASIONALLY a rocket flies over head and hits in a field or totally misses any people or places or anything, that's really the only danger though is a rocket flying over and the fact that the soldiers drive the hummers like maniacs. It's a huge base so you must have some SERIOUSLY bad luck if a rocket does hit anywhere close to you. And they have pizza hut, taco bell, most of the stuff you kinda would miss back in the states. That and the money is great. :P Yeah if you have any questions give me a shout anytime steve, like I said the new Camaro is going to be pocket change once I get back, vice before, when I was living paycheck to paycheck pissed off that I'd never be able to afford it. heh!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Yes that's right, haha I'm going to stay in this craphole and save me some money until I can drive the new Camaro off the lot. :P Although I'm not military I am a civilian here, so I make more money, which means more money for mods too.
:
watch your back ... you never know ...

remember to bring me back some islamists balls ... ho no ... forget about it ... they don't have balls.

so dude, if it starts to shoot somewhere around you, just find a hole, jump into it and don't move until you hear an american voice telling you "you can go out son"

remember a good camaro owner is a living camaro owner
Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
It's actually not as bad as people make it sound. I live in a trailer on Camp Victory, the base is heavily guarded, so no one makes it on base without the proper identification. OCCASIONALLY a rocket flies over head and hits in a field or totally misses any people or places or anything, that's really the only danger though is a rocket flying over and the fact that the soldiers drive the hummers like maniacs. It's a huge base so you must have some SERIOUSLY bad luck if a rocket does hit anywhere close to you. And they have pizza hut, taco bell, most of the stuff you kinda would miss back in the states. That and the money is great. :P Yeah if you have any questions give me a shout anytime steve, like I said the new Camaro is going to be pocket change once I get back, vice before, when I was living paycheck to paycheck pissed off that I'd never be able to afford it. heh!
you friggin civilians!!! you make insane amounts on money doing the same crap that we do. sometimes it makes me angry how underpaid we are for what we do! but Im happy for you just stay safe. I got a really good friend going on a IA tour in Iraq soon, but he wont make 25% of what your making.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #13
hftech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
you friggin civilians!!! you make insane amounts on money doing the same crap that we do. sometimes it makes me angry how underpaid we are for what we do! but Im happy for you just stay safe. I got a really good friend going on a IA tour in Iraq soon, but he wont make 25% of what your making.
LOL, I've done my 6 years in the military and did my tours. I get paid basically the same here as I would in the states. Thing is I work 7 days a week for 12 hours a day, so I get an ungodly amount of overtime in. Oh, and they pay us an extra 35% of our paychecks for being in a hazardous duty area, which helps a bit, but then again taxes negate ALOT of the money we receive. Military people don't have to pay taxes when they're over here, we do, which in the 1 month that I've been here I've paid Uncle Sam almost 4 grand. . Unless I decide to stay here for 331 days, then I get my taxes refunded to me, which brings me to getting back around August 08 if I decide to do that, which should not be tooooo far from the Camaro's hopeful release date.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Hftech, if your out there let us know your okey. Just seen on the AP that Camp Victory got hit with a mortor attack 2 hours ago. 2 dead, 40 wounded.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote