Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
FWIW, this is pretty much the exact same process for any oiled filter. The clean/oil chemicals may be different but the process is the same.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
FWIW, this is pretty much the exact same process for any oiled filter. The clean/oil chemicals may be different but the process is the same.
Correct, I can't speak for any other companies, but usually the instructions are very similar
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Question..., I am looking at CAI but have been told that there are issues with water getting through the filter and into the engine. Is this an issue? I'm not planning to drive through any ponds or lakes but I do drive it as a daily driver and don't garage my vehicle just because of a little rain.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #18
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I've never had an issue with water and the cai inc filter. The cai filter sits in a similar position to stock and is way out of the way for water to get in. I have had to deal with flooding on streets with the air scoop and not had an issue with the problem you're speaking of. I even have a hood that exposes to filter to all the stuff that hits the front of the car and no issue. Water is a concern for the intakes that sit in the driver wheel area.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #19
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
I've never had an issue with water and the cai inc filter. The cai filter sits in a similar position to stock and is way out of the way for water to get in. I have had to deal with flooding on streets with the air scoop and not had an issue with the problem you're speaking of. I even have a hood that exposes to filter to all the stuff that hits the front of the car and no issue. Water is a concern for the intakes that sit in the driver wheel area.
+1
Exactly my experience
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
Desert Stealth

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1 Convertible Automatic
We use a CAI system in my wife's 2013SS (with APEX air scoop) and also in my 2014 ZL1 (no air scoop). I purchased a spare filter for each car plus the recharge kit. So far, I've swapped out the filter on my wife's car twice (about every 10K miles - it does get dusty here in the desert!). No issues with water intrusion (and, Yes, it does rain here - bone dry one minute and flash floods the next). Cleaning the filter is pretty simple and I have plenty of time to let it fully dry before oiling (since I use a spare).

No issues at all in either car.

Marcus
Desert Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. A local garage mechanic was trying to tell me different but I would have thought more folks would have been saying something, if it was a true issue.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. A local garage mechanic was trying to tell me different but I would have thought more folks would have been saying something, if it was a true issue.
It sounds like the posters above answered your question correctly. We have been in business and selling CAI's for a variety of vehicles for nearly 10 years, and have sold thousands of 5th Gen Camaro systems each year and have shipped them all over the world, we have never heard of a single water intrusion issue.

Unfortunately some people are just mis-informed, and/or they use a blanket statement to all things where an isolated incident may have occurred with a specific brand. Its the same with some people not liking oiled filters because they have heard that oil can get on the MAF, so they think that every oiled filter will have that issue. There are brands out there that have known problems with issues like that, we have never had a single issue with it, its all about quality control.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Ummmm......sorry to say but I had this happen with my CAI intake.... oil on the MAF....as a matter of fact you guys shipped me a new one because of it.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #24
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Ummmm......sorry to say but I had this happen with my CAI intake.... oil on the MAF....as a matter of fact you guys shipped me a new one because of it.
Well then, it seems like we have had an occurrence, errors can happen, but our track record is nearly flawless in this area (I'd estimate less than a thousandth of a percent). Glad to hear that your issue was taken care of
Old 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #25
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Well then, it seems like we have had an occurrence, errors can happen, but our track record is nearly flawless in this area (I'd estimate less than a thousandth of a percent). Glad to hear that your issue was taken care of

Yep, no one is perfect........and for the record I like my CAI intake very much ......the replacement unit fixed the issue.

also for the record......I know the oil was the original problem 100% because a few weeks ago before my dyno tune I did a recharge of the filter with a CAI recharge kit from Maryland Speed......well, I guess the combination of the hard dyno pulls, some spirited driving with my new found HP, and 95 deg humid weather I experienced the exact same symptoms.....pulled out the MAF and observed tiny red specks of filter oil.....one shot of cleaner and she runs like a scalded dog again.
Don't know how much more careful I could be with the oil....but oh well things happen........

Thanks CAI for a great product and good service!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #26
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I recharged my filter for the first time and I used very little oil. I know you advertise you should get 2-3 uses out of the kit. I maybe used 20 grams, Did i use enough oil?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #27
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
for all those just buying another filter. dont throw it out sell it on in the classified section. Iv got 10,000 miles on mine and it still looks like I just installed it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #28
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
I recharged my filter for the first time and I used very little oil. I know you advertise you should get 2-3 uses out of the kit. I maybe used 20 grams, Did i use enough oil?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
no it should be all uniform red. you need to add more oil.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air filter, cai filter, cold air inductions, oiled filter, recharging an air filter