Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
2014 Forester

I purchased a 2014 Forester 2.5i a couple days ago and Just wanted to share how awesome it is and how impressed I am.

I have never owned an AWD vehicle before and it feels awesome on the road. Not only that but the build quality is simply outstanding.

Also I want to note that because of the CVT, this 4 cylinder accelerates as if it has a 270hp V6 engine. Its great.

Highly recomended.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
that 2.5L engine is proven and will last you until maybe the end of time. Subaru is a tough brand to beat. I bought my mother one and she to this day will not part with it, I have offered to buy her another but she says hers is just fine and has over 230K on it.Just do the belt change at 100K and you will be fine.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
DaBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
that 2.5L engine is proven and will last you until maybe the end of time. Subaru is a tough brand to beat. I bought my mother one and she to this day will not part with it, I have offered to buy her another but she says hers is just fine and has over 230K on it.Just do the belt change at 100K and you will be fine.
Exactly why I decided to go with my first Subaru. The boxer engine is proven to be in for the long haul as you said.

I am a big fan of buying new and keeping it for 15 years or so. I am confident this vehicle will do that for me.

I am seeing MPG just as advertised. Its a great CUV.

I was lucky because I wasnt planning on buying for a few months but my stupid Kia was getting worse and worse. They took $1,000 off sticker and gave me $3,000 for my KIA. I couldnt refuse that deal since it perfectly put me on the monthly payment I wanted.

Again I was lucky because they are NOT making deals on these right now because they are selling as soon as they leave the boat.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
05stram

I also find it funny when a Subaru passes a big 4x4 stuck in the snow. The AWD system is second to none. I believe they introduced the CVT a couple years ago the one she has is a 4 speed auto and gets around 27 MPG I believe the CVT when I tried to get her one is averaging around 30-35 depending upon the area it is ran in.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
DaBears

Quote:
I also find it funny when a Subaru passes a big 4x4 stuck in the snow. The AWD system is second to none. I believe they introduced the CVT a couple years ago the one she has is a 4 speed auto and gets around 27 MPG I believe the CVT when I tried to get her one is averaging around 30-35 depending upon the area it is ran in.
This is the first year the CVT is in the Forester as far as I understand it.

The avertised MPG is 32 and I am seeing that easily. Mixed city/hwy I average 27MPG.

Im still on my first tank of gas so obviously its too early to judge it.

I am very happy with this vehicle. The 2.5i is a great bargain trim. Things like bluetooth are standard while other things that cost extra are not there to inflate the sticker price. Its perfect for me.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
05stram

I believe the CVT was introduced in the Outback and is migrating across the line. Didn't the forester go through a redesign this year?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
DaBears

Quote:
I believe the CVT was introduced in the Outback and is migrating across the line. Didn't the forester go through a redesign this year?
Correct, it first appeared in the Outback and I believe the Legacy was using them the last year or so as well. The XV Crosstrek is also using it.

And Yes the new body style started in 2014 and is the one I purchased. It's fantastic.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Just do the belt change at 100K and you will be fine.
No more timing belt to change since they switched to a chain a few years ago.

Subaru's have been using CVT's since model year 2010, so that's 4+ years already.

I got my wife a 2013 Legacy 2.5i last year and its been a great car and does better in the snow and ice then my 1 ton Cummins powered Ram on 35's.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
DaBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post

Subaru's have been using CVT's since model year 2010, so that's 4+ years already.

I got my wife a 2013 Legacy 2.5i last year and its been a great car and does better in the snow and ice then my 1 ton Cummins powered Ram on 35's.
Yup. Subaru has said the chain will never need changed in most cases.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:

The 1984 Justy was the first Subaru to use a CVT.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
I knew I should of been more specific...

I was also gonna mention the new 2.5's getting DOHC but didn't feel like further explaining myself and providing exceptions.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
05stram

Quote:

Another reason I need to get mother to change out cars - I know the belts lasted but with the chain I can be assured she is good to go and it sounds like I can sell her on the CVT with the better fuel mileage. Plus I like the new body style on the Outback better than hers. Hers reminds me of the old Baja trucks.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Also built in the U.S. if I recall correctly.

Personally, I've never like CVTs. I had one of them in a CTF Saturn VUE many years ago. Lets just say there is a reason you didn't GM vehicles with CVTs. It wasn't a good effort.

But Nissan and Subaru have pushed forward and have them to a very refined level. I just don't like driving a car that feels like I'm driving a snowmobile

An old friend of mine bought the Forester a few years ago and loves it.

Subaru is one manufacturer that continues to grow. Slowly but continuously. In Northern Michigan, the NE U.S. you see them everywhere because of the overall package for getting around in rural areas with lots of snow.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post

Also I want to note that because of the CVT, this 4 cylinder accelerates as if it has a 270hp V6 engine. Its great.

This is the first time I think I have ever heard positive feedback about a CVT, can you elaborate...I just might have to go drive one.