Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
Additional Recommended service worth it?

So I had my car in for an oil change and they tried to up-sell me on a bunch of stuff. My car is a 2010 with 58,000km. They asked if I wanted:
  • Mobil1 oil filter vs a standard filter?
  • Differential flush
  • Fuel injector cleaning (fuel system flush)?

So is any of the above worth the extra cost?
Is a Mobil1 oil filter that much better than a standard one?
Should I get the differential flushed?
I use nothing but petrocan Ultra94 fuel or premium if I can't find ultra94, so do I really need to get the fuel injectors cleaned? He really tried to sell me on this one, saying the performance difference would be really noticeable.

Comments please
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Filter, the stock filter should be fine.
Diff fluid changed is a good idea, I did mine around 20,000.
Injector cleaner can be bought and poured in yourself.
Fuel system flush?? Not sure about that one? Probably not needed.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Octaneman

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Services

Servicing your diff is a good idea, use proper fluids, the rest IMHO is a waste of money

Steve
Octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Garoad Shenlong
"The Wife"

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I would do the diff service, but the rest is not needed.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
I'd service the diff service personally, but anything other than what GM recommends in your owners manual is simply the dealership trying to make money. Also Switching to the mobil1 oil filter can cost you if anything goes wrong with it as it not an OEM filter

follow the link or pull out your owners manual for your maintenance schedule

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/owner_ce...evrolet_camaro
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Follow the owners manual, and you generally can't go wrong.

The diff service may not be a bad idea, particularly with a limited slip. Fuel injector cleaning nowadays, with all the additives in the gas, is probably not necessary. I wouldn't do it as long as its running right. My Alero has 173k miles (that's 278k Canadian), and I've never had it done and the engine is still as smooth and efficient as when it was new.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
NFRNOSS

Assuming the rear axle mentioned in the manual is the same thing as differential servicing, the manual says I don't need it until 160,000km! Where would they get the idea it is required now? Btw, this was not done at a dealership, but at a lube city express oil change (I had a $22 off coupon )
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Our van at work just had the dealer injector flush done and it runs a lot better.

Get the flush done before the oil change if your doing it.
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRNOSS View Post
Assuming the rear axle mentioned in the manual is the same thing as differential servicing, the manual says I don't need it until 160,000km! Where would they get the idea it is required now? Btw, this was not done at a dealership, but at a lube city express oil change (I had a $22 off coupon )
TheLube places recommended it and most people don't question it so they just do it and the place makes money.

Make sure you are sticking with OEM filters when you go to those places! Had a filter disintegrate in an engine that was not a OEM filter.Engine needed to be replaced and was not covered under warranty.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
NFRNOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
TheLube places recommended it and most people don't question it so they just do it and the place makes money.

Make sure you are sticking with OEM filters when you go to those places! Had a filter disintegrate in an engine that was not a OEM filter.Engine needed to be replaced and was not covered under warranty.
wow!
I opted for the standard filter, but I had never heard of this mobil1 premium filter before.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

OEM filters are great but the Pennzoil filters I use in my lube shop meet and exceed warranty requirements. There is nothing wrong with using other brands of oil and filters other than OEM as long as they are new car warranty approved. I get asked that question a lot when customers are in for service at my Lube Shop. I just simply show them the oil filter with the "meets and exceeds new car warranty requirements" ant the oil that has dexos approval on it and that always does the trick to ease their mind. I like the dealership I go to for my purchases and warranty work. They are pretty straight up. I know them well enough that when they are to busy they send me customers to take care of their lubrication needs! I'm only a 5 to 10 min drive away from them. I run my quick oil change centre at a high level and they recognize that.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler H View Post
OEM filters are great but the Pennzoil filters I use in my lube shop meet and exceed warranty requirements. There is nothing wrong with using other brands of oil and filters other than OEM as long as they are new car warranty approved. I get asked that question a lot when customers are in for service at my Lube Shop. I just simply show them the oil filter with the "meets and exceeds new car warranty requirements" ant the oil that has dexos approval on it and that always does the trick to ease their mind. I like the dealership I go to for my purchases and warranty work. They are pretty straight up. I know them well enough that when they are to busy they send me customers to take care of their lubrication needs! I'm only a 5 to 10 min drive away from them. I run my quick oil change centre at a high level and they recognize that.
I supposed I wrote that wrong......SOME quick change places are like that. There are also some great shops out there!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
1) I've looked at 5 brands of filters compatible for the LS3 camaro, once you compared how they are made, you can tell quickly which one has a better craftsmanship... Mobil 1 is on the top end of that Spectrum. It’s what I used since day 1. And I have 34k miles on the odo and 5 filter/oil changes. Mobil 1 all the way.

2) Differential fluid flush: once every year (Amsoil 75W-90 Limited Slip with slip additive)

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I supposed I wrote that wrong......SOME quick change places are like that. There are also some great shops out there!!!!
Unfortunately you are correct! There are a ton of low quality lube facilities out there. I was more focusing on the products they carry. All people have to do is ask to see the warranty approval on the filters being installed. If the lube facility won't or can't then I recommend people carry on and find a place like mine that is happy to ease your mind! I hope you don't feel I was being crude towards you Layla. That was not my intent. I have taken my truck through other lube shops just to see how the competitors roll and in some cases I just couldn't believe how terrible the service and workmanship was. The un needed up sales were the biggest issues I had. Hence the reason that my staff is NOT on commission. (You can tell right away the shops that are). Sure our sales average may not compare to other shops but our customer return rate is unmatched I'm sure. I prefer the customer loyalty over the quick buck any day! Just like you selling vehicles. Long term relationships are keys to success!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote