Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
After 48 hours and 100 miles, my feedback on 2 SS/RS

I have had my cgm 2 SS/RS now for 48 hours and have put 100 miles on it so I thought I would share my personal experience and opinion on the car.

I am thankful, at this point, it has not caused any accidents. I have had people backing down streets to pull u turns to follow me for a closer look. Cars on the freeway getting in front of me, then beside me and then behind me to get a look at all sides of it. I have seen people actually stop at green lights when I am behind traffic to turn right in the right lane, in order to stare. I have had two local Houston police officers stop me to ask questions, look at it and take pictures.

The exhaust note is perfect. I don't know why anyone would spend a dime on changing it unless you just have to have a louder car. The time and effort GM put into the exhaust note is very evident. It sounds better then my corvette did and I have had two corvette owners tell me the exact same thing.

The acceleration is neck jerking. That is the only way to describe it. You can accelerate as slow and smooth as you want, or, you can let it rip. There is just a minor difference between my camaro and my old 1LT vett. The vett obviously had more torque and I had the Z51 pkg so it was geared a bit lower and gave a little more. It can, however, take off from 2nd gear as well as first so that should give you some idea as to the power in this baby.
I have not used the launch control or really tested the true power of the car as I want to break it in first. You can reach speeds of 80 mph and not realize it, this car is that smooth.

The clutch is perfect. Nothing to say. The 6 speed tranny far exceeds my vett. Not sure why as they are the same, but, it shifts from gear to gear effortlessly. It was the first thing my 16 year old son noticed. He drove my vett ( always with me in it) and so he knows the difference. For him to feel it says a lot about the camaro.

The handling is first class. It takes corners just like my vett did. No body roll. You do not realize you are in a larger car. By larger I am again comparing it to my vett. This car is not a corvette nor is it meant to compete with it but it is what I just got out of and feel it is fair for me to compare it too. You can feel the stiff suspension but it is not rugged and bumpy. I can take normal residential speed bumps at 20 mph no problem.

The cabin is very quiet. The interior is very roomy. I am 6'2" and I have to move the seat up to be comfortable. Plenty of head room with seat adjusted all the way down. Controls easy to reach. Ipod connection awesome, my kids love it. Radio has a great sound. The thing I appreciate most is the hvac. The A/C cools this car off in seconds. It has been in the 90's here and my car has been cooled off instantly every time I get in and fire it up. I am very thankful for that. It will be even better once I get the windows tinted.

As long as you have room to swing your door wide open, it is very easy to get in and out of. This amazes me the most. It sits so low and looks like it would be difficult to get in and out of but it is not. Maybe I just have the perfect leg length or something, but, this car is easier for me to get in and out of then most I have owned.

Love the one touch up/down windows.

ABL, (I almost hate to bring it up) in the doors looks really nice. What a great touch.

Visibility is not a problem. Just make sure your mirrors are set and you will not have any trouble. Front and back view, to me, is no different then any other car.

I can honestly say I can find nothing about this car to complain about or criticize. It does not matter how many pictures you see on the internet, none of them will do this car justice. They just won't. You have to see it in person. Especially the interior. Pictures do not give the true story of this car. It is a simple interior built to perfection. Absolutely no clutter or ugly, unneeded decorative trim.

Lastly, anyone who is thinking about canceling their order will be sorry. You are going to want your car. This has to be one of the finest american made cars ever. You cannot compare this car to a mustang or a dodge. Camaro is in a league all it's own.

Congratulations to all who made this car a reality. I for one find it to exceed even all that we were told by you!!
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
thanks for the great review
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Very nice write up, did you get the sun roof?
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Very nice OldTimer, you gave me chills with that review
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Great review! I can't WAIT!!!!!!!

Last edited by patriotpa; 05-10-2009 at 04:56 PM.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
ControlFreak

Drives: Silverado
No photos? I think your in the wrong section. Cool review though!
ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Great write up! Congrats!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
LSP2010
IM A GURL

Drives: 2010/2SS
nice job now im thinkin about waiting 4real
LSP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
hiway61revisted

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 2000 Silverado
did you say "100 miles" in 2 days? try a higher gear,lol
hiway61revisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Great review...... i can't wait for mine
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I could have written this exact same review after my first two weeks with my car. So many of the things we were worried about, and the mag reviews made mention of, aren't even in my head anymore. I don't notice the lack of visibility, or the car feeling "big" at all. It really is a functional, fast, and beautiful machine that I have absolutely no complaints about.

Great review
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
what year vette are you making a comparison to??

by 1LT did you mean LT1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
USA1Camaro

Drives: 2004 GTO
Nice write up.
USA1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice Review, I am glad to hear that the manual is smooth and has neck snapping acceleration, I did not feel that way in the Auto I test drove, but I knew the manual would have more pep. I was also glad to hear how smooth it shifts. I am curious on the exhaust, I doubt the manual and the stick is that much different, but it was too quiet for me, but I guess that is a personal choice.