Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Zach Jennings

Drives: 91 Z28
what all is involved in switching from auto to manual in a 91 Z28

This kind of goes with another thread I started, I was a diesel mechanic for about 10 years so I have been helping my cousin with all of his other mechanical questions, but this is more of a vehicle specific question that I cant really answer and I though someone here has probably done this at east once, somone on here said it was rather difficult. I would like ot know exactly how difficult is this?
I thought the hardest thing would be making a mount for a clutch pedal and getting the correct geometry on the linkage, Im sure he would have to have a driveline made as well. How much more difficulty would there be in this project?
Thanks - Zach

This is my cousins car I am helping out with some information,
Zach Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I found you information! This is a site dedicated to third generation Camaros, and this appears to include just about all of the information you'll need to do this swap.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Zach Jennings

wow awesome you guys all rock! Thanks again
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Zach Jennings

haha I am totally 4 popped collars cool maybe even 5
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
BlueZee28

Drives: 1991 Z28 convertible
I did the auto to manual swap (T56, but it's the same concept). It wasn't hard really. The key to getting the hole for the master cylinder right is to put the pedals in the car and bolt them down, then take a sharpie and mark where the semi-circle piece of metal on the pedals touch the firewall. The cup of the semi-circle is where you're going to need to drill out the firewall for the master cylinder.

And for cutting a hole for the shifter...you will see four holes under the center console which were used for mounting the automatic shifter to the floor. If you cut just inside those four holes you will have a hole that will fit with the new transmission. Make sure you buy a lower shift boot too.

There's a little bit of wiring to be done to make everything functional, the main one is soldering the two wires that went to the auto shifter for the reverse lights to the two wires for the lights coming out of the transmission.

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
http://www.omnipotent-goku.com/iroc/gallery/album140
BlueZee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Jennings View Post
wow awesome you guys all rock! Thanks again
lmao
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Zach Jennings

I talked to him last night and he is thinking about buying a wrecked car with all the parts and doing a complete swap.

I have a question about the mounting of the clutch pedal. Like what exactly needs to be done? I am guessing some sort of rod mount so the pedal can pivot, but really I am kind of in the dark on this one.

Last edited by Zach Jennings; 12-15-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
BlueZee28

Drives: 1991 Z28 convertible
The master cylinder will have the rod in it already. The only parts you need for the swap other than the transmission itself are the pedals and hydrolics (master cylinder). The master cyl has the rod that will go through the hole you cut in the firewall, and on the end it has a bushing that slips over a peg on the side of the clutch pedal.

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
http://www.omnipotent-goku.com/iroc/gallery/album140
BlueZee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
It can help make it easy if ya can get it cheap. Just have the whole floor section cut out of the stick car so everything stays in place.

Nice to have it there to see how it should go.

Did similar with doors once, cut the skin off a bad one to see how the guts worked. As once apart them door can get tricky with the track setup. And you only got a few access holes in a good door and can barley see what your doing as is.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote