Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
RipCityCoug

Drives: 2010 2SS, Black w/ Black Stripes
Marks on Black Stripes

I got my car striped today (went with the matte black on black). When I picked it up from the dealership after they were installed I took a look over everything to make sure it was in order. The service department where I picked it up however was inside and I didn't think to look at it in the bright sunlight. When I got it home, I noticed that in probably 6 or 7 places on the stripes there's these weird streaks that almost look like pencil lead or something but I can't figure out why they would be there (pics below). I tried wiping them off with a wet rag and didn't have any luck but I didn't try too hard because I didn't want to mess anything up worse than it is. It shouldn't be a problem getting the problem fixed by the dealer especially since it was part of my purchase agreement but that's a hassle and I'd like to just take care of it myself and not make the 1 round trip twice to drop off and pick up. Has anyone seen this before?

As I side note, I love the look of the black on black but having the stripes in the sun sure does make them appear a weird color. I couldn't find any really good pictures of the combo before I got it and now I know why.

EDIT 5:10 PM: So I was out examining the problem again trying to figure out what to do and I realized that when they were (presumably) waxing the car to put the stripes on they put a big scuff in the paint. Un flipping believeable.
Attached Images

Last edited by RipCityCoug; 08-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.
RipCityCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Dknight16

Drives: 2014 2SS RS
Looks like fine scratches that kind of buffed the matte finish of the stripe. Disappointing I'm sure, but likely the first of more to come as you wash it over the months and years to come. If you complain you might get a gift card or merch as compensation.
Dknight16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Get use to it. If you dont want scratches dont goto car washers or dont drive it at all. GM paint sucks and the vinyl stripes will show any light scratches.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
RipCityCoug

Drives: 2010 2SS, Black w/ Black Stripes
Has anyone used Mr Clean Magic Erasers to clean up the stripes at all? One of my dads friends says he does it to his stripes and I trust him but I guess I'd like to hear it from more than one person before I let it touch my car...
RipCityCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityCoug View Post
Has anyone used Mr Clean Magic Erasers to clean up the stripes at all? One of my dads friends says he does it to his stripes and I trust him but I guess I'd like to hear it from more than one person before I let it touch my car...
please don't do it...magic erasers are the equiv of about 3600 sandpaper and can scratch easily, esp if you bear down....a cleaner wax is all I'd use here
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
If it is under the stripes there is not much you can do.
Black is a very difficult color to keep perfect.
Nobody else will recognize them except you
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
HorsemenLC-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2005 CTS-V
Looks like it might be where they used a hard plastic squeegee to lay em out. Might of pressed too hard. They look scuffed to me. I have matte black stripes and they look good. More maintenance to keep up with is all. Have the dealer redo them.
HorsemenLC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote