Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
RipCityCoug

Drives: 2010 2SS, Black w/ Black Stripes
Plasma Taillights

Hi guys. I've been looking into doing a bit of a halo effect on my taillights lately and was hoping to get some insights from people who already have them. From scanning the web, it seems that my main options are either the Afterburner 1.0 or 2.0 from AAC or Afterburners from Automotive Halo Kits. I know people have experience with the AAC stuff, but what about AHC? Any issues? I'm a little wary given the cheaper price and the fact that it seems to be a much smaller site. And then 1.0 vs 2.0: which shape do people prefer? I think I'm leaning more towards the 2.0 shape but I'm curious what others think.

One more question as well: when you add the halos in, do you remove the original bulbs and just leave them out? It kind of looks like that's what happens but I've never seen confirmation.

Links:
http://www.automotivehalokits.com/pr...a-concept-led/

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/afterburner2.0.aspx
RipCityCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityCoug View Post
Hi guys. I've been looking into doing a bit of a halo effect on my taillights lately and was hoping to get some insights from people who already have them. From scanning the web, it seems that my main options are either the Afterburner 1.0 or 2.0 from AAC or Afterburners from Automotive Halo Kits. I know people have experience with the AAC stuff, but what about AHC? Any issues? I'm a little wary given the cheaper price and the fact that it seems to be a much smaller site. And then 1.0 vs 2.0: which shape do people prefer? I think I'm leaning more towards the 2.0 shape but I'm curious what others think.

One more question as well: when you add the halos in, do you remove the original bulbs and just leave them out? It kind of looks like that's what happens but I've never seen confirmation.

Links:
http://www.automotivehalokits.com/pr...a-concept-led/

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/afterburner2.0.aspx
Plasma is the latest marketing buzzword in the automotive lighting community. They're still LED.

Anyway, I have personal experience with AHK. At the beginning of this year I ordered the full ZL1 front end (fascia, absorber, grille, lights, etc). They wrapped it in bubble wrap and duct tape and shipped it on a Greyhound bus. I had a thread on here about it. Anyway, as you can imagine, the brackets were all broke and even the fascia itself was rippled. They sent me some replacement brackets to rivet on but told me that they were going above and beyond their responsibility.

I doubt that they'd ship these smaller products but if they are faulty, you might have trouble with customer-no-service.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Fla904

Drives: all black '12 ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Plasma? Isn't that what the sun produces in it's inner core? That won't even leave any ash of your body. Which degrades to gamma rays which will blow the skin off your skeleton. And then after ~1,000 years of bouncing around in the outer layer is degraded to photons (light) and unleashed upon the planets.

For a real answer scope this sub-forum:
Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions
Smart ass? Isn't that what annoys the shít out of people when they're trying to get a honest opinion? That won't even allow for answers that people come here for. Which degrades often due to smart ass answers such as this one. And then after multiple failed attempts at getting help on a forum people just wreck their camaros out of frustration.

For a real answer ignore this douche bag😁 by the way those lights look sick, you have me interested now.
Fla904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
RipCityCoug

Drives: 2010 2SS, Black w/ Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
Plasma is the latest marketing buzzword in the automotive lighting community. They're still LED.

Anyway, I have personal experience with AHK. At the beginning of this year I ordered the full ZL1 front end (fascia, absorber, grille, lights, etc). They wrapped it in bubble wrap and duct tape and shipped it on a Greyhound bus. I had a thread on here about it. Anyway, as you can imagine, the brackets were all broke and even the fascia itself was rippled. They sent me some replacement brackets to rivet on but told me that they were going above and beyond their responsibility.

I doubt that they'd ship these smaller products but if they are faulty, you might have trouble with customer-no-service.
Thanks for the response, it's very helpful. I think I'm going with the Afterburner 2.0, I ike the shape of them more than anything. The look I'd really like is the one off of the Mustang (except in a Camaro shape obviously) but as far as I can tell that's not available anywhere.

RipCityCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Yeah way cheaper but the sjmautopro light kit is AWESOME!
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
toddux

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Coupe
Hi All,

I'm a little late to the party, but here is my story.

First, I fell in love with the Afterburner Tail Light look and jumped on that mod right away (just bought used 2013 2SS/RS)

First choice (LED, CFL, Plasma) chose plasma for the bright uniform appearance

Second choice (White or Red) I chose RED to be doubly sure that the intense bright white would not be washed out (too white) Very glad it did that!

Third choice, disable the OEM tail filament? Since I went with a light NightShade tint on the Tail lens themselves, I "bent the rules"! lol

RATHER that clipping the tail filament connection off the bulb, I BENT it around to "add to" the Brake. Using toenail clippers,I snipped it as close as flush as possible and carefully bent it around to the opposite side. So now the Brake/Turn lamp socket is connected to BOTH filaments.

It's not much (outer is dual filament / inner is std only bright filament), but it does have the added security of redundant filaments, so 4 filaments (2 on each bulb) would need to fail before I was completely without Brake/Turn indicators.
Attached Images

toddux is offline   Reply With Quote