Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
bbenavitz

Drives: 2013 ZL1, Panoz GTWC, 2013 Durango
Why does the Roto Fab not require a tune while all other intakes do?

What is the difference in the Roto Fab intake that does not require a tune while every other intake requires this? They all have high flow filters and larger diameter plumbing so what makes the difference? I recall one tuner on this forum suggesting that in their opinion the Roto Fab does need a tune. Any opinions on this?
bbenavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenavitz View Post
What is the difference in the Roto Fab intake that does not require a tune while every other intake requires this? They all have high flow filters and larger diameter plumbing so what makes the difference? I recall one tuner on this forum suggesting that in their opinion the Roto Fab does need a tune. Any opinions on this?
Aftermarket intakes will skew the reading of the MAF sensor. Supposedly Rotofab has deigned their intake to keep the MAF reading the same as stock. I'll see for sure if that is true as I intend to get one for my car. The first I do after I put it on will be to check it with my wideband.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
Seriously, why the scepticism? How many of us have to post that it.works before you believe it? Todate i have 4000 miles on my 2013 zl1 (so there is no.question which car i am talking about) with no checkengine lights, this is since install. Probably 500 since big gulp install. As easy as it is to flame a company about a.product not.delivering what it says,.the abscence of that alone should convince you. I am not a paid spokes person. I have 750$ into the pair. Best money i have spent. Can we stop beatingtrigger already. If you want to hear it in person fly into denver and come take a ride inmy car. It will also bein sturgis tearing up the autocross. Sturgiscamarorallycom
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
Seriously, why the scepticism? How many of us have to post that it.works before you believe it? Todate i have 4000 miles on my 2013 zl1 (so there is no.question which car i am talking about) with no checkengine lights, this is since install. Probably 500 since big gulp install. As easy as it is to flame a company about a.product not.delivering what it says,.the abscence of that alone should convince you. I am not a paid spokes person. I have 750$ into the pair. Best money i have spent. Can we stop beatingtrigger already. If you want to hear it in person fly into denver and come take a ride inmy car. It will also bein sturgis tearing up the autocross. Sturgiscamarorallycom
Easy...the OP has a fair question. I also have the roto-fab installed, but am curious why it doesn't need a tune vs why others do. Some of us like to LEARN. I don't think there was any skepticism or flaming in his question.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
ADM's street intake does not require a tune either.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Easy...the OP has a fair question. I also have the roto-fab installed, but am curious why it doesn't need a tune vs why others do. Some of us like to LEARN. I don't think there was any skepticism or flaming in his question.

This. And I am also curious. I am planning a modest build and like the feed back on the Roto-Fab cai but as I intend to tune my Z I would love more data on gains with a tune for the Roto-Fab as others have already published their data.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
family man

Drives: .
Quote:

It's posts like this that piss me off. The guy asked an honest question and he only has 7 posts here. Way to make him feel welcome.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
It's posts like this that piss me off. The guy asked an honest question and he only has 7 posts here. Way to make him feel welcome.
Agreed 100%

OP - It comes down to the design and diameter of the intake tract that houses the MAF sensor. As sophisticated as the ECM is; it can only compensate so much without a recalibration due to increased airflow. The slot style MAF sensors used in this car are very sensitive to air volume and speed changes. That sensitivity is increased because GM no longer uses a screen (actually air flow straightener) in front of the sensor like in the older heated element design.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
ADM's street intake does not require a tune either.
The ADM for the ZL1 does in fact require a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
I don't believe his post was directed to the OP ...

It's all about the location of the MAF
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
if i would buy a new zl1 ,rotofab intake would be my first mod . without hesitating.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Have you scanned your car? Have you put a wideband on it? If not, then you really don't know. Have you ever even tuned an EFI car? Just because there are no codes doesn't mean you might not have LFFT's of +10 when in PE and your really running pig rich. I like the idea of not having to do alot of scaling of the MAF table as I already have it dialed in right now. But I can can guarantee I won't just install the RotoFab and assume it's perfect.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I have a Rotofab on my car with no tune and have had it on the Dyno twice since installation - last result was 526rwhp

AF ratio is perfectly safe and it most definitely does not REQUIRE a tune.

The last guy who had it on a Dyno was skeptical when I said it had no tune, but was very impressed with the results once some readings were taken.

It's all about the design of the MAF housing and they put a lot of time into the R&D on that to make it a no tune required intake.

That doesn't mean you won't get better results by tuning, it just means you get very good safe results without having to tune if you don't want to.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Aftermarket intakes will skew the reading of the MAF sensor. Supposedly Rotofab has deigned their intake to keep the MAF reading the same as stock. I'll see for sure if that is true as I intend to get one for my car. The first I do after I put it on will be to check it with my wideband.
That is correct, but what is happening is the fuel trims change and that is somewhat a tune in its self. You can do a tune with a RotoFab and not have to run fuel trims as much.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Have you scanned your car? Have you put a wideband on it? If not, then you really don't know. Have you ever even tuned an EFI car? Just because there are no codes doesn't mean you might not have LFFT's of +10 when in PE and your really running pig rich. I like the idea of not having to do alot of scaling of the MAF table as I already have it dialed in right now. But I can can guarantee I won't just install the RotoFab and assume it's perfect.
Yes I have checked lambda with a wide band and run HPtuners scan and it is trimming the fuel. Yes the car will run better with the tune but my lambda is fine as long as I do not run out of trim.
I welded a bung as soon as I bought my car. I have used a LM2 wide band.
I will not do any tuning for a long time, due to the warranty.

Yes JTE has done a wide band test and all other test on the ZL1. They are all the same stock if you have about the same set up and mileage. If the fuel trims where off by by a large amount it will throw a code.

You are right, it will not be perfect.

Last edited by Skylane765; 03-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote