Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Awesome build, same direction I want to go, I just don't have to coin yet. Get that bad boy on the track and post some videos.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
We've already taken it to Gingerman, it's a friggen' blast! Such an increase in composure and control.

This summer, I hope to put it around Watkin's Glen. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my damned GoPro to sync up with Harry's lap timer properly. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
Awesome build. Tasteful and functional! My type of build! Well done!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
So tell us your thoughts about the difference in the ride quality on the street between the 1LE and Z/28 suspensions.
Stiffer. MUCH stiffer. You feel every little ripple in the road with the Z/28 equipment. Large potholes are best avoided, because they make the car feel like it's going to break in two...however, it's not a "harsh" ride...it's really difficult to explain. The 1LE suspension, compared to the Z/28, is soft.

If you've driven an SS, and a 1LE...If you thought the 1LE was significantly stiffer and difficult to live with, you're going to hate the ride of the Z/28. If, however, you felt like the 1LE was great, and didn't mind a stiff ride because you were too busy enjoying the lack of body roll...they you'll love the Z/28's ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That's a mighty fine project there. Nicely done.

Just in time for a Gen 6 for a DD
Spring of 2017.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #30
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I really like the direction you've taken with your build. At some point, I'd like to add a little more power to my car, raise the redline and useable power to about 7K rpm, and maintain near stock-level drivability. It sounds like this power kit hits all of those points. Anyway, love the write-up, can't wait to see what comes next!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #31
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
wait... so throwing a cam & heads on the car wasn't nothin' but a thang, but you're wary of having a full-up tune done on the car? as for power, headers ain't gonna send you bass-ackwards around the next turn because you can't control the tire-melting torque; you'd probably only be good for another 30-40hp, but it breathes more efficiently (power/economy), and depending on the set you get, there's weight savings to be had (faster car). the sound just gets a bit deeper/throatier, and i ain't ever heard of anyone who ended up hating the way headers changed the sound
Headers make the car MUCH louder. No thanks.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #32
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
I really like the direction you've taken with your build. At some point, I'd like to add a little more power to my car, raise the redline and useable power to about 7K rpm, and maintain near stock-level drivability. It sounds like this power kit hits all of those points. Anyway, love the write-up, can't wait to see what comes next!
The kit maintains all stock drivability. There's 0 negative effect. Mostly because it's an LS7 cam, so it's been used in a factory application, not a "hot cam. It might be exactly what you're looking for!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #33
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Headers make the car MUCH louder. No thanks.
remember: "a lot" louder is a very subjective description. it also depends heavily on the rest of your exhaust system. my truck, for example, has a stock 5.3 & after i put my headers on, it idles a little louder & really screams at WOT. that's with no cats & 2.5" collectors Ying into a single 3" to a chambered muffler, then dual 2.25" tails ending with 3.5x22" tips (which resonate & deepen the tone a little).

my car, however, has a blown 5.7 with 1 7/8" headers & cats into dual 3" back to the axle & then reduces to 2.5" for stock-ish mufflers. with the cutouts closed, the only difference idling or under load is that it's got a deeper tone. it's barely louder than with the stock exhaust, if at all. just ask IRPQ, GTAHVIT, or any of the Emerald Coast guys. cutouts open... that's a different story
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #34
red_riot

Drives: Track Camaro
Amazing build, Mr. Wyndham!

Question: any particular reason you went with the GM Cam/heads package over a aftermarket/custom cam?

Reason I ask is because I plan to cam my 1LE in the near future, but I haven't decided which direction I am going to go in.
red_riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #35
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Great build, subscribed!
Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #36
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
remember: "a lot" louder is a very subjective description. it also depends heavily on the rest of your exhaust system. my truck, for example, has a stock 5.3 & after i put my headers on, it idles a little louder & really screams at WOT. that's with no cats & 2.5" collectors Ying into a single 3" to a chambered muffler, then dual 2.25" tails ending with 3.5x22" tips (which resonate & deepen the tone a little).

my car, however, has a blown 5.7 with 1 7/8" headers & cats into dual 3" back to the axle & then reduces to 2.5" for stock-ish mufflers. with the cutouts closed, the only difference idling or under load is that it's got a deeper tone. it's barely louder than with the stock exhaust, if at all. just ask IRPQ, GTAHVIT, or any of the Emerald Coast guys. cutouts open... that's a different story
I get what you're saying, but completely stock everything through NPP with the fuse pulled is bordering on too loud right now. Remember, this is my daily-driver and I commute to work every day with my wife in the passenger seat, a wife who can't tell the difference in sound between a Harley and an R1, or an Aventador and a Civic. To her, the exhaust only drowns out the radio.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_riot View Post
Amazing build, Mr. Wyndham!

Question: any particular reason you went with the GM Cam/heads package over a aftermarket/custom cam?

Reason I ask is because I plan to cam my 1LE in the near future, but I haven't decided which direction I am going to go in.
There were a couple reasons. Some that people don't quite agree with me, or "get".

1) I didn't want to sacrifice daily drivability at all. I drive the thing every day back and forth to work, through the summer, and the snowy months. I'm not into the bucking and heaving associated with a moderate to heavy cam...no matter how slight.

2) I don't like the sound of a real lopey cam. I think it makes the car sound sick and broken. This cam gives the car a real slight hesitation in the idle burble...it sounds alive, not broken, to my ears...it's very very subtle.

3) This kit was designed by the GM engineers who designed the LS3 to begin with. The computer can run the cam without any tune at all and be perfectly within parameters, you just don't get the benefit of a 7100 rpm if you don't recalibrate. But even then, the recalibration is provided by the dealer. I like the "home grown" aspect of the kit, vs aftermarket.

There are a lot of ways you can go in terms of cam and engine modifications - but this setup hit all the right notes I was looking for, personally, and came highly endorsed by an engineer friend of mine in the company that's worked with it.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham

Here's a couple other opinions on this style of setup by some folks over on The Block:

After some testing at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park:
https://theblock.com/news/spring-mou...do-accessories

And SCCA T2 racer, Todd Napieralski, talks Z/28 parts on his car...
https://theblock.com/news/shave-seco...rformance-kits
Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #39
red_riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
There were a couple reasons. Some that people don't quite agree with me, or "get".

1) I didn't want to sacrifice daily drivability at all. I drive the thing every day back and forth to work, through the summer, and the snowy months. I'm not into the bucking and heaving associated with a moderate to heavy cam...no matter how slight.

2) I don't like the sound of a real lopey cam. I think it makes the car sound sick and broken. This cam gives the car a real slight hesitation in the idle burble...it sounds alive, not broken, to my ears...it's very very subtle.

3) This kit was designed by the GM engineers who designed the LS3 to begin with. The computer can run the cam without any tune at all and be perfectly within parameters, you just don't get the benefit of a 7100 rpm if you don't recalibrate. But even then, the recalibration is provided by the dealer. I like the "home grown" aspect of the kit, vs aftermarket.

There are a lot of ways you can go in terms of cam and engine modifications - but this setup hit all the right notes I was looking for, personally, and came highly endorsed by an engineer friend of mine in the company that's worked with it.
Thanks for reply! I already have long tubes/CAI, and I just want mild/moderate HP gain that is functional for a DD with occasional road course fun with a very subtle lope. Sounds like that GM package is exactly what I am looking for. Like you said, the fact that it was engineered by the guys that make the car is favorable.

is this the package?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...49#moreDetails

Last edited by red_riot; 11-16-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_riot View Post
Thanks for reply! I already have long tubes/CAI, and I just want mild/moderate HP gain that is functional for a DD with occasional road course fun with a very subtle lope. Sounds like that GM package is exactly what I am looking for. Like you said, the fact that it was engineered by the guys that make the car is favorable.

is this the package?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...49#moreDetails
Not quite. That package is still missing the coolant crossover plugs, cam sprocket, and cam sprocket bolts.

This is the deluxe kit. I'm sure there are other sources.

https://www.citycratemotors.com/part...6-Deluxe/2464/
Old 11-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #41
red_riot

Thanks for the help. I know what i'll be picking up for Christmas.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #42
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Nice build! I'm going to reference your pics/info when i put on a Z28 splitter soon
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote