Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #57
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoke View Post
its a great thing to see that with all the trouble GM is having- that the Camaro remains unaffected. I believe this car combined with the success of the Malibu will really be another start for GM.
Cruze, done right, will too.
Their trucks are already more than adequate and the Traverse is selling well.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #58
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
What do the workers think about this? They are losing a week of vacation
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #59
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Good to hear!!!

Good for the workers that get some extra time too !

It'll let some air out of the sails of the gouging dealers too.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #60
CharlieNubz
Nubz SS/RS

Drives: NADINE 2010 SS/RS 24551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to be pissing off the Guys and Gals who are building your car. Just a thought......

I agree, I'd want my car to be built buy somebody who is taking pride in their work and not forced to just "pump" them out. These workers in Oshawa need vacation and time off just like the rest of us. Also if you're pushing the truckers to deliver these as fast as they can, they're not going to take time to be careful with your car as they load and unload it. They just know that they need to get them DELIVERED!! It also looks like a ploy for GM to milk every last drop of sweat from their workers before they do file for bankruptcy and then have to re-negotiate worker's salaries. This entire ordeal has been a huge roller coaster ride for all.

Keeping the American Revolution Alive...:flag1:
CharlieNubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #61
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
This may not increase production?

There are 4 stat holidays in that period. Regular Full time employees with seniority will have the summer off. Productivity will drop. All the extra OT will only offset the decline.

If you want more units and hold the quality a 2ND shift would do that as they go home at 2 pm and the line is dead.

My TPW has now been moved back 3 times.
I'm a regular high seniority employee in the Flex Plant and i don't get the summer off !! I'm not sure where you got that info. A 2nd shift will need to be trained to do the jobs again.
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #62
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
So much for my vacation plans. Although some overtime is better then no overtime. I can eye that new skeeter bass boat even more now hee hehehehe. Yeah and don't piss off the workers who build your car.
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #63
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by super60 View Post
I'm a regular high seniority employee in the Flex Plant and i don't get the summer off !! I'm not sure where you got that info. A 2nd shift will need to be trained to do the jobs again.
Super60, how are you and some of the other guys in the plant reacting to this news? I agree with just about every post here (even though they're mixed, I know). I love the idea of faster production, and hopefully getting my car sooner, but I also believe you guys shouldn't be run ragged, or a) you won't enjoy your jobs as much, b) you won't be able to do them as well due to lack of sufficient sleep/rest/vacation, or c) both. Either way, I've said it several times before and I'll say it again. I greatly, supremely appreciate all your hard work and the love you put into my car and those of the many who will happily receive them.

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #64
03xtreme

Drives: 09 Malibu LTZ - 05 Nox
typical gm... they'll over produce them, devalue them and they'll lose money on the cars and they'll be rushing the line workers. Have some patience, (sorry to swear) toyota buyers waited FOR EVER and longer to get a stupid prius....

quality over quantity is better for everybody in the long game.

:edit: seems to be me they should spread some wealth over to some detroit plants if the demand is so high
03xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #65
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Super60, how are you and some of the other guys in the plant reacting to this news? I agree with just about every post here (even though they're mixed, I know). I love the idea of faster production, and hopefully getting my car sooner, but I also believe you guys shouldn't be run ragged, or a) you won't enjoy your jobs as much, b) you won't be able to do them as well due to lack of sufficient sleep/rest/vacation, or c) both. Either way, I've said it several times before and I'll say it again. I greatly, supremely appreciate all your hard work and the love you put into my car and those of the many who will happily receive them.
Well its a good problem to have right now. I look at it this way , if we don't build then GM gets crapped on , if we do build with the addition of Saturdays then GM gets crapped on for going too fast !! Rest assured we will get the job done over the course of the summer. I know for me i'm Thankful for having this car in Oshawa and you won't get complaints from me or my fellow workers.
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #66
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Well its a good problem to have right now. I look at it this way , if we don't build then GM gets crapped on , if we do build with the addition of Saturdays then GM gets crapped on for going too fast !! Rest assured we will get the job done over the course of the summer. I know for me i'm Thankful for having this car in Oshawa and you won't get complaints from me or my fellow workers.
Awesome to hear! I know the paychecks will certainly be rewarding, and with all the talk of job cuts floating around the auto industry lately, it's got to feel good that you and your co-workers are working at quite possibly the highest demand plant right now...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #67
Ryguy
Small Town Gov't Hero

Drives: '07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
Quote:
I agree. I don't post on this forum much, but I do read a lot. It seems everything GM does with this car is a conspiracy and/or every decision GM makes is wrong.

I understand what everyone's going through, I want my car yesterday and I want it to be the best car ever built. I know I can't have both. I'm glad the plant workers are getting some extra $$$ in their pockets especially during the bad economy and GM's tough times. But I also know how weeks of OT can wear someone down. I hope everyone at the plant gets to enjoy a little bit of summer with that extra cash.

I echo the sentiments of those that thank you guys for your hard work and dedication to the car we all love.

Ryan

Imperial Blue Metallic 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #68
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
This may not increase production?

There are 4 stat holidays in that period. Regular Full time employees with seniority will have the summer off. Productivity will drop. All the extra OT will only offset the decline.

If you want more units and hold the quality a 2ND shift would do that as they go home at 2 pm and the line is dead.

My TPW has now been moved back 3 times.

Always with the negative waves.

Quote:
You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the good work and you and your family enjoy the OT pay. It is a good problem to have.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #69
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
camaro will be old news

before they would be able to do that. You don't just restructure something that large over night. And even if you could parts and other things are ordered months if not years in advanced. From a Maintenance aspect it's a nightmare to ramp up for something this large and that's only one department. Equipment as to be broken down Maintenanced possibly reconfigured. Nice pipe dream though
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #70
ugxvibe
GM Transmission Tech

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Awesome news.. seems like this car is gonna rule the world shortly. Someone is getting a raise for this one.

Tags
oshawa