Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #29
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4DS View Post
The HUD Display was changed out by the dealership because it was out of focus. The new one is brighter but still out of focus. Is it just me? When the dealership replaced it they said it was fix. Now what?

Thanks
Same thing happened with my Grand Prix. It's not the HUD unit, they installed the wrong windshield. The HUD windshields has something in the that makes the HUD clear to see. I argued that with my dealer telling him it was the windshield, he wouldn't believe me and changed out a few parts then finally changed the shield and crystal clear.

Mine came from the factory with the wrong shield. My view was identical to what you now see. Tell them to exchange it.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #30
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
What did they do with the other HUD that they replaced? I don't get dealerships. Is it harder to check glass? Or replace the HUD unit?
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
RS4DS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
If the dealership is to come back and tell me they will not cover it, is there a Customer Service number I can call that will be usefull?

Thanks

Dan
RS4DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #32
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Same thing happened with my Grand Prix. It's not the HUD unit, they installed the wrong windshield. The HUD windshields has something in the that makes the HUD clear to see. I argued that with my dealer telling him it was the windshield, he wouldn't believe me and changed out a few parts then finally changed the shield and crystal clear.

Mine came from the factory with the wrong shield. My view was identical to what you now see. Tell them to exchange it.
Quote:
If the dealership is to come back and tell me they will not cover it, is there a Customer Service number I can call that will be usefull?

Thanks
What all the GM cars with HUD use is DuPont™ Butacite® wedged PVB interlayer this is a layer between the 2 layers of glass.

http://plastics.dupont.com/myplastic...3&locale=ch_CH

At the center of the HUD technology is a precisely engineered “interlayer” of DuPont™ Butacite® PVB that acts as the screen onto which the HUD information is projected. This interlayer is called the DuPont™ Wedge™ because of its angular cross-section.

Laminated between two layers of glass, the Wedge™ is transparent to allow distortion-free forward vision, but also is able to reflect the HUD projection for viewing by the driver. The virtual image appears to float in the driver’s line of sight near the front of the car, minimizing refocus time. Virtual image location and brightness can be adjusted to the driver’s preference. Together, these features help to reduce driver distraction, enhancing safety.

The Wedge™ angle is critical, and was developed through close cooperation with the GM engineering team, windshield supplier Asahi Glass Co. and Nippon Seiki, which supplies the HUD projector and served as package integrator.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I've never bought a GM Certified Used vehicle before, so I might be way off base here, but shouldn't all the parts have to be correct for the application?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #34
RS4DS

The dealership said they will NOT cover it. Time to call customer service. Not happy at all!!

Dan
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
The dealership said they will NOT cover it. Time to call customer service. Not happy at all!!
Yep. GM has had HUD (and HUD windshields) since the 1992 Bonneville. Dealer should have known to check the glass before replacing the HUD.

You can PM Chevy customer service here on the site: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/member.php?u=29125

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
RS4DS

Thanks for all your guys help. I have called customer service and it has been pushed up to a district manager. Should get a call back in a couple of days.

Thanks

Dan
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
RS4DS

Pick uo the car from the dealer last night, and I was told the refuse to repalce the windshield under warranty. I was told I would have to pay for the mistake they did not catch before they sold me the car. The price is $850. I told them I will not pay for thier mistake. Time to contact customer service.

Thanks

Dan
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Local price for replacement via safelite is approx $540. Seems to me that they shouldn't say 'no' flat out. I'm sure safelite gives a dealer discount so at a minimum they should work it out to pay at their cost.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #39
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
if you don't want to go the route of having the windshield replaced, you can "kind of" fix it but having a tint show put a clear film (usually called solar tint) in the HUD area.

In my 2010 Avalanche, I had purchased one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD-II-HUD-S...726895&vxp=mtr

and it comes with a piece of dark tint, I didn't care for, so I had a tint shop put on a piece of clear solar tint and it worked fine, and you can't really see it..

all depends on your desires.

this is the stuff you want though:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/

so that you can't see it on the windshield.

--

What all the GM cars with HUD use is DuPont™ Butacite® wedged PVB interlayer this is a layer between the 2 layers of glass, it is essentially the same thing as what I am describing above but between the glass layers instead of on the outside.
I find this very interesting since I installed HUD in my 2010. Can you tell me how big of piece they installed? And you can't see it much in different lights of day? I've been looking for something like this... next I need to find out how to get some and try it myself... TIA

Edit: Doing a bit more research and I see the crystalline comes in different shades. Any idea what % they put in yours?
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
Bucci
Bucci

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Pick uo the car from the dealer last night, and I was told the refuse to repalce the windshield under warranty. I was told I would have to pay for the mistake they did not catch before they sold me the car. The price is $850. I told them I will not pay for thier mistake. Time to contact customer service.

Thanks

$850 is quite high. You should be able to buy the HUD version for around $100, and maybe get it installed for $150...

So, I would say $250 max.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #41
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucci View Post
$850 is quite high. You should be able to buy the HUD version for around $100, and maybe get it installed for $150...

So, I would say $250 max.
There's no way you can get it that cheap.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
I find this very interesting since I installed HUD in my 2010. Can you tell me how big of piece they installed? And you can't see it much in different lights of day? I've been looking for something like this... next I need to find out how to get some and try it myself... TIA

Edit: Doing a bit more research and I see the crystalline comes in different shades. Any idea what % they put in yours?
you need to measure the area the HUD shows up in top to bottom when you use the button to adjust the up and down, and then measure the left to right.

placement should be in the area you see the HUD obviously; with a bit extra (1/2" or so) on each side.

the size in my Avalanche would be irrelevant as it was an on-top of dash unit, not recessed like the OEM

--

as far as tint shade, mine was zero tint 100% light pass-thru, clear as it was in my line of sight I didn't want any color. You can see the outline if you are focused on it, otherwise you won't even notice it.

It's purpose is for solar (heat) reduction and color is not required for that with the crystalline products. But because of it's nature it focuses the HUD LED display quite well, which is why GM uses it layered between the glass.

I have the same stuff on the Drivers and Passenger side windows of my Camaro. It is completely clear and there for heat reduction only, it works great, the interior temp of my vehicles is 15°-20° lower after sitting 8+ hours in the sun than it was before (yes we tested after installing it by having a therometer in the vehicle during the peak of summer and during peak sun times).

I also have the same stuff on all my house windows.. It reduced the heat in my home by 8° which in 95° dry heat is a big deal, means the A/C runs a whole lot less.

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 03-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote