Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Skip Shift?

sorry for the basic question, I did try a search and found lots of discussion around this but no basic explanation --

what is "Skip Shift" ?

do I understand correctly that when you accelerate gently, in a manual transmission, the skip shift "feature" forces you to shift directly from 1st to 4th gear?

Does this apply to both the V8 and V6 manual transmission?

Is there a way to turn it off?

This seems like a really dumb feature . . . I'd rather accelerate gently and smoothly through all the grears than bog it down going straight from 1st to 4th . . . or maybe the V8 is so torquey that it doesn't bog . . . no wonder there is discussion of aftermarket products to defeat this "feature"

(I haven't bought mine yet so that's why I'm not sure what you are talking about, trying to learn all I can before I decide)
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
It doesn't happen all the time...not all that often actually. Do a search, there's been 1000's of threads on it.

That dumb feature helped save us from having to pay the gas guzzler tax...so I LOVE IT! Love it even more now that mine is disabled.

There's an SLP plug that disables it or you can turn it off w/ a tune. As far as I know it's only on the LS3.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
sorry for the basic question, I did try a search and found lots of discussion around this but no basic explanation --

what is "Skip Shift" ?

do I understand correctly that when you accelerate gently, in a manual transmission, the skip shift "feature" forces you to shift directly from 1st to 4th gear?

Does this apply to both the V8 and V6 manual transmission?

Is there a way to turn it off?

This seems like a really dumb feature . . . I'd rather accelerate gently and smoothly through all the grears than bog it down going straight from 1st to 4th . . . or maybe the V8 is so torquey that it doesn't bog . . . no wonder there is discussion of aftermarket products to defeat this "feature"

(I haven't bought mine yet so that's why I'm not sure what you are talking about, trying to learn all I can before I decide)
I have a 2SS with a manual transmission.
Yes it has skip shift.
If you accelerate gently in first gear and are in a given RPM/MPH range the drivers information center between the speedo and tach will indicate a skip shift will occur. If you are paying attention to traffic, you will probably miss this indication. When my car tries to skip shift, I just reroute the shifter towards third and then into second. I don't even have to think about it anymore,and I only have a few hundred miles on my car. I personally think first to fourth lugs the motor too much. My opinion,,, yes the car has lots of torque and will pull away with little problem, it's just a personal preference.
There is no way I know of to turn it off unless one of the programmer/tuners has that ability to do so. As you mentioned, for about 15 dollars, there is a skip shift plug in device. I think skip shift was put on the cars as a way to help with fleet mpg and/or emissions requirements.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Here is the criteria for skip shift (CAGS)
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
thanks! that explains it very well
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Here is the criteria for skip shift (CAGS)
Hmmm, I see what's written, but if I go from 1st and not into fourth, when indicated, I simply ease it towards third and then into second. As soon as I redirect the shifter towards third, the message goes out. I'm not sure if I release the clutch in the mean time. I'll have to mentally note that the next time I drive it...

I haven't read that far into the owners manual yet...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Get yourself a Skip-Shift Eliminator. I got one for SLP and works great! The message still come on but never stops me from shifting into 2nd or 3rd.

http://www.lmperformance.com/53552/119.html
Old 12-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
ilon3vvolfi

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss1 transformers
i read somewhere that going from 1st to 4th is supposed to help increase the mpg. However on my ss1 it turns on so infrequently that it becomes a guessing game. Yet in the manual it says not going into 4th when the indicator turns on can damage the transmission... Highly doubt it though.

May order a Skip-Shift Eliminator, or just drive like I mean it
ilon3vvolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Do the 20cent resistor. so easy.