Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #715
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
You don't have to take the car in for the recall and if the dealer does for some reason the recall while your car is there for other things as long as you don't give them both keys you'll always have at least one switchblade key.

From what I read they are just changing the key and fob so as long as you don't give the dealer both switchblades you'll always one.

I would hope that GM will give us some kind of incentive to make the switch because I can't see a lot of people having this recall performed.

If you weren't planning on having the recall performed but GM decided to give you something like a cool keychain and $100.00 to repay you for the removal of the switchblade key standard option to have the recall performed, would you have it done?

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #716
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
I'm not seeing this as a problem on my car.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #717
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
You don't have to take the car in for the recall and if the dealer does for some reason the recall while your car is there for other things as long as you don't give them both keys you'll always have at least one switchblade key.

From what I read they are just changing the key and fob so as long as you don't give the dealer both switchblades you'll always one.

I would hope that GM will give us some kind of incentive to make the switch because I can't see a lot of people having this recall performed.

If you weren't planning on having the recall performed but GM decided to give you something like a cool keychain and $100.00 to repay you for the removal of the switchblade key standard option to have the recall performed, would you have it done?

Paul
The "cool keychain" would be counterproductive. IMO so is having a fob dangling as that moves things closer to your knee and possibly move the key again when "hit".

The problem is that wouldn't they program the new keys to your car so that if you do only bring one switchblade in, the other wouldn't work?
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #718
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
Do you always drive with your leg completely extended?

I'm going to guess by your smaller feet and extended legs that you are a smallish guy. So all rules governing ignition switches must be based off of how you particularly like to drive with the seat all the way back and leg extended driving with your tippy toes?

My leg, with seat pushed back ends up closer to in between the volume button and the climate controls. As a matter of fact I have many times accidentally changed the air flow with my knee while driving.
But then again on the other hand, must all cars' ignitions be built to suit the rules of your personal frame? What about Shaquille O'Neal? What about a midget?

I'm 5'8" tall and my leg appears as in that photo, although my knee is definitely bent and I can securely plant my feet flat on the floor behind the brake pedal - I do not now and have never driven 'toes on pedals' and neither do I drive with the steering wheel in my stomach.

The six way seat allows the utterly vast sweeping majority of drivers to achieve the correct driving position (if they chose to do that) but there will always be exceptions to whatever rules of body proportion we want to cite. In fact I would bet that 75% or 80% of Camaro drivers are completely in the wrong driving position through their size or by poor habit.

If your size is an issue there actually is a DIY mod that allows your drivers' seat to go further back.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #719
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well maybe if we can show the dealer that in our normal seating position there is no way to contact the fob without major effort they will let you not have it done. I just went out and tried to do it and between my short legs and fat belly I couldn't get my knee anywhere close to the ignition switch and fob.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #720
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
The "cool keychain" would be counterproductive. IMO so is having a fob dangling as that moves things closer to your knee and possibly move the key again when "hit".

The problem is that wouldn't they program the new keys to your car so that if you do only bring one switchblade in, the other wouldn't work?
In the abstract, assuming you have just the key and the separate fob, how would hitting the dangling fob (say that out loud, it sounds dirty) do anything but make the dangling fob (hee hee) swing back and forth?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #721
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
But then again on the other hand, must all cars' ignitions be built to suit the rules of your personal frame? What about Shaquille O'Neal? What about a midget?

I'm 5'8" tall and my leg appears as in that photo, although my knee is definitely bent and I can securely plant my feet flat on the floor behind the brake pedal - I do not now and have never driven 'toes on pedals' and neither do I drive with the steering wheel in my stomach.

The six way seat allows the utterly vast sweeping majority of drivers to achieve the correct driving position (if they chose to do that) but there will always be exceptions to whatever rules of body proportion we want to cite. In fact I would bet that 75% or 80% of Camaro drivers are completely in the wrong driving position through their size or by poor habit.

If your size is an issue there actually is a DIY mod that allows your drivers' seat to go further back.

It's not about further back, it's about the seat can't go low enough so that my head doesn't hit the ceiling. I have to combine putting the seat back far enough and leaning the seat back far enough so this doesn't happen. By doing this I lose a ton of visibility over the hood as it stands and it pushes my knees forward because my position is that of being more leaned back.

My 6'1" 180 pound brother has the same issue and hates driving my camaro for this exact reason.

It's obviously a poor design feature, same with changing gears and placement of the cup holder. Or the hump in the passenger side floor in the fourth gens.

I'm not saying they need to cater to me. I'm saying that it's obviously an issue for anyone of manly size. See video posted above.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #722
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:

Also I agree that I sit in the wrong position. But I guarantee you that there is no way in hell for me to sit properly without my head hitting the roof.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #723
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
1. People shouldn't buy cars they don't fit into.

2. People should learn how to properly adjust a car seat so their legs/feet/knees don't hit stuff.

3. My dealer can kiss my ass, they will do nothing to the car I OWN without my written consent, period. Not worried about this recall, I'm not retarded.

4. None of this would even matter if, as I've said many times before, if people were just intelligent enough to not crash and die due to something simple like the engine turning off.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #724
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Quote:
In the abstract, assuming you have just the key and the separate fob, how would hitting the dangling fob (say that out loud, it sounds dirty) do anything but make the dangling fob (hee hee) swing back and forth?
Think about that again, remember physics. If that fob is dangling and you have more weight on it, what motion is it that makes an ignition move? Oh yea, a turning motion, effectively turning the ignition off. Why they say you shouldn't put a lot of items on your key chain, plus it puts a lot of weight on the key and could do some damage there. Of course this would happen "over time" with a lot of wear but definitely possible.

All this is very hypothetical with a lot of things "happening just right" but then again it's just like this recall.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #725
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Knee jerk reaction to the Cobalt ignition switch issue. Yesterday on CNN, interviewed two parents whose teenage daughters died in one Cobalt crash. Shocked to hear the driver only had a learners permit (illegal), and all four occupants in the car were not using the seatbelts (illegal).

Agree the Cobalt had a design flaw with the ignition switch. But seriously how can GM design for just stupid use of their products especially when auto occupants don't use the seatbelts typically required by law?

This recall of +500,000 Camaro's stupid because the switchblade key and fob has been on the market for many years. We don't know if the 3-4 issues out of +500,000 Camaro's, people hung stuff from their fobs . I knew back in the late 1980s not to hang stuff and add weight to the ignition key.

I need to be convinced that this recall is not about the ignition switch and not the current key/fob combination. The issue is that the ignition switch doesn't lock the key into position when you put the transmission into Drive (or 1st gear), unlocks the key when you put the transmission into Park (or neutral).

Happy to see people on Camaro5 getting pissed at this recall. I have been driving for 45 years and never seen so many people both pissed and "refused" a recall. GM best take notice: the backlash from Camaro owners on this poor knee jerk recall quick fix is not acceptable. From Camaro5, might only take a few weeks before CNN reports that Camaro owners soundly reject this recall, first time in auto history auto owners reject a recall.

Contact your local news agencies, use your Facebook & social media, and let GM know this quick fix recall is not acceptable. Camaro owners reject this GM recall.

Voted NO, I am not going to accept this recall. No I am not giving up my current 2011 Camaro switch blade key + fob for the separate key and separate fob I have on my 1998 Riviera. Millions of autos have the switch blade key and fob combination, why are only Camaro's involved in this recall?
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #726
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
By the way, I am 5'-10", 175 pounds, age 63. Don't move as fluid as I did ten years ago. But can still get in and out of my Camaro without bumping the ignition key.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #727
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
You should always be allowed to turn off a car while driving. It's unsafe to not be allowed to do so because of Toyotas issue.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #728
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
You should always be allowed to turn off a car while driving. It's unsafe to not be allowed to do so because of Toyotas issue.
Usually you should have to shift to neutral while in motion to turn the car off and on. The issue with Toyota, on some, supposedly is that the shifter locked and they couldn't get into neutral. So now we have the ability to turn it off in drive and we have these issues.

Effectively, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall