Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
I Thought I knew what I wanted to do...

I was wrong...

So from the start I figured I would set my RWHP goal at or around 500. I thought I had determined I wanted to go the Supercharged route with LT headers, and a CAI. Not so sure anymore.

The more and more I research it I find myself liking the N/A route with a cam instead of a Supercharger. Especially after running across a GTO with a cam in it after leaving a restaurant with the wife, Was simply music to my ears. The sticky here on the boards about the cam basics was very helpful. But I'm still soooooo loss as to what is good for me spec wise on a cam. I have a shallow understanding of what the numbers mean on the spec...but as far as whats good and what will fit my needs....not a clue.

So that's where my camaro (or the ever so popular Cammy) brothers and sisters come in. I have a few questions and any other advice outside of them would be greatly appreciated!

First and foremost I want to say This will be my Daily Driver. If anything I may take it to the track maybe once a month later down the road for a couple of runs here and there. For a Daily Driver and the priority of driveability and reliability is 500RHWP with those supporting mods too much? From my understanding the more horsepower your wanting to achieve the more your driveability will suffer. So with that in mind 500RWHP is not a set in stone number.

When refering to Cammed cars I keep hearing the term bucking and surging used when in a certain rpm range. Im assuming bucking is just that bucking...similar to an inexperienced Manual driver or something. But the surging, what is that considered?

In comparison to supercharging our vehicles whats the price difference between Cam and Supercharger?

I've also seen it said at times that driveability of a cammed car lies in the Tune. How much truth does that hold? I dont mind sitting at a stop light shaking a little bit. But I dont want to be shaking so bad i look like a fool on a bull.

Any advice on a particular cam that you think may fit my needs would be greatly appreciated. To be honest with you I feel as though the sound is more important then the power increase from a cam...but not by much. If you need any information from me to give me more insight ill be happy to oblige
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
L99 or LS3?

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

lol my fault its a LS3
Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
NA cars are badass but they are usually built to their max potential whereas an FI car has room to grow and with more HP right out of the box. I am FI'ed and cammed and yes my car shakes at idle. I call it the harlem shake right before the car unleashes its retard strength from a light.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

rofl nice
Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
gnturboray

Look at it this way, to get 500 to 530rwhp on a heads / cam car you will also need LT headers, exhaust, CAI, and a tune. You dont have to have those supporting mods on an FI car to get same whp.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Thats the thing though. I think the sound is more important to me at this point since i wont be going to the track very often. So getting the goal of 500RWHP is not as big a deali could happily settle for 440+
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
gnturboray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Thats the thing though. I think the sound is more important to me at this point since i wont be going to the track very often. So getting the goal of 500RWHP is not as big a deali could happily settle for 440+
You say that now, wait til you're at that point and you get used to the power,,,,,you will eventually want more. You can hit the 440 mark or close to it on an LS3 without a cam
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Order the night fury cam package from lethal racing talk to nick or shawn they will set you dtraight! if you want that mystical 500 whp get so head work done as well the spund will be even better as well. Total pricing for me for everything was less than 5gs and i needed the ls3 conversion +a stall, so it should be alil lesa for you.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
rahallfly

Well i think what you need to do is set a budget and a HP goal. I know you said 500, but if you want sound over 500 then you can do anything in between. The nightfury cam is popular, Vengeance also is a popular, Mast... I just put Texas Speeds VVT2 in mine.(Dont have LS3 and i wanted to stay vvt) If you are worried about it being to aggressive of a cam and are not worried about the 500hp mark do a stage 2 cam. With mine I have not taken to dyno yet because its still in garage for winter and just finished it 3 weeks ago, but i am guessing around 450-465rwhp. But a stage 2 or higher cam + headers is going to get you smiling everytime you start your car. I went stage 2 for better driveability and i didnt want to put a higher stall in yet.

Another thing to think about is if you are possibly going to go FI after this, you should go with a blower cam so you dont have to replace that when FI comes later??

Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

^^^ what he said night fury is a n/a cam ive seen it work well with blowers as well. Talk to some sponsors on this forum tsp,lethal,rdp,vengeance, jre,etc they will all help you out and excellent customer service! Goodluck with your decision.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
rahallfly

here is mine its a stage 2 and that is cold. It sounds a little better once warm!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Jesus christ it sounds amazing!! What kind of exhaust you running?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266594 500rwhp exactly