Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Stainless Brake lines

Ok, so I'm figuring I might as well upgrade the brake lines when I swap out for the Brembos. So far I have found three aftermarket brake lines:

Goodridge from Stillen- about $180

MTI Racing- $150

IPS- $100

Any pros/cons to these? Are the IPS ones just as good as the Goodridge for half the price? Any other options?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
What you look for in aftermarket lines are strain relief and OE mounting hardware.

Pictured are Pedders 5th Gen Camaro brake lines with strain relief and integrated mounting brackets that use the OE mounting points.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Ok, so I'm figuring I might as well upgrade the brake lines when I swap out for the Brembos. So far I have found three aftermarket brake lines:

Goodridge from Stillen- about $180

MTI Racing- $150

IPS- $100

Any pros/cons to these? Are the IPS ones just as good as the Goodridge for half the price? Any other options?

Thanks
Keep in mind that Goodridge is the world leader in SS lines, supplying F1, NASCAR and every major racing series around the world. The upgrade line kits are also TÜV-certified, which is not easy to get! Since they are an OE supplier, they have the equipment to do certification testing and production testing in-house, so each line kit is pressure tested before packaging.

Make sure whichever lines you buy are quality bits. There is a huge variance in line quality right now, the most I've ever seen in my 20+ years of doing this. Some of the ones on display at SEMA/AAPEX should be outlawed!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Keep in mind that Goodridge is the world leader in SS lines, supplying F1, NASCAR and every major racing series around the world. The upgrade line kits are also TÜV-certified, which is not easy to get! Since they are an OE supplier, they have the equipment to do certification testing and production testing in-house, so each line kit is pressure tested before packaging.

Make sure whichever lines you buy are quality bits. There is a huge variance in line quality right now, the most I've ever seen in my 20+ years of doing this. Some of the ones on display at SEMA/AAPEX should be outlawed!
I know you probably don't want to bash any companies on an open forum but would you pm me ones to stay away from? I just want to get the best value and want to know why some are twice as expensive.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I know you probably don't want to bash any companies on an open forum but would you pm me ones to stay away from? I just want to get the best value and want to know why some are twice as expensive.
You're right, I won't do that! However, keep in mind that Goodridge is doing the best they can to keep costs down. If they could make them for less money, they would. Safety, performance and quality control just don't go on sale.

If something costs half the price, you have to ask yourself what are they leaving out? You can hold different sets in your hands with your eyes closed and feel how the steel braid handles deflection. Some of the cheapest lines crackle and creak, jerking and moving unevenly. Some even start to kink instead of continuing to bend. I don't want that stuff on my car -- especially for a system so critical to safety as brakes. One bad experience makes a small up front cost savings seem pretty trivial.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
That is a terrifying image.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I have the Pedders brake lines on my car. Highly recommended. Really improved the pedal feel and brake response.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

I was hoping IPS would chime in here and tell us how they can make the same quality for half the price. They are a vendor here so I'd like their input...

Looks like I'll be going Pedders or Goodridge probably, damn this is getting to be an expensive brake swap.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
I have the Pedders lines they are high quality and they mount just like the oem,no zip ties,no chance of a line being rubbed into.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I put on the IPS ones. I got them for $80 during the Black Friday sale around Christmas time. I've only had them on the car for a couple months but so far so good.

It looks like they have the same mounting hardware as in post #2. I'm not sure what is meant buy strain relief but from what I can tell from the pics they look just like what post #2 has but in black instead of red.

Not sure how they make them cheap but they weren't half of the MTI ones. The MTI ones are like $130 and IPS is $95. I don't remember what the Goodrich ones cost but I don't remember them being $200. I could be wrong on that though.

LOL...maybe IPS ones are made in China????
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
RetiredRacer

Drives: 2LT RS ABM
I got the Goodrich set from Tire Rack. Installed last summer - no installation issues and no problems to date. Have used Goodrich lines on purpose built road racing cars for sometime and never had any issues.
RetiredRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I installed a couple sets of Goodrich lines on GTO's, and after that I had to stop, there were more issues with them than they fixed. We even re-did one of the cars with another manufactures lines because the customer wasn't happy with them

I've installed a few sets of the Pedders lines for the Camaro and they fix perfectly, and there have been no issues at all.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
I installed a couple sets of Goodrich lines on GTO's, and after that I had to stop, there were more issues with them than they fixed. We even re-did one of the cars with another manufactures lines because the customer wasn't happy with them

I've installed a few sets of the Pedders lines for the Camaro and they fix perfectly, and there have been no issues at all.
Wow! We've been putting them on GTO's since '04 with no issues that come to mind.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
They have no proper mount to mount them to the front struts, the rears are not made correctly, so they either rub on the tire, or they are bent too far in.

are you a vendor on this board? you seem to have very strong opinions on brakes, and advertise for people in your signature, so i'm curious about your reasoning for taking certain positions at times.

I have no benefit either way for Goodrich, Russell, or the Pedders lines. I sell Pedders and Russell, but not goodrich. The reason i don't sell goodrich is due to problems, one of which includes a GTO that lost it's brakes due to a defective goodrich line, and i refuse to sell a sub par product.

could you explain your background/employment a bit so i can understand?
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote