Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #29
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I will wait to find a SS or top of the line speed demon camaro....short of any overpriced special editions.

That is because the next car I buy will be the car I want to keep until there is no more gasoline left on the planet.

That being the case, I want the most amount of power possible out of the box from the factory, and with enough room to squeeze extra power out in later years if "lesser" cars start creeping up on the 400hp mark.

Back in 2005 when I got my 300 hp Mustang, I figured that would be enough, and I have modded it up to the 310 rwhp (350ish bhp) mark. However, it just sucks knowing that V-6 Nissan Maximas and Toyota Corollas are all closing in on the 300 hp mark already, and there are more than a few 300hp+ performance V-6s already on the road....namely the G35, G37, 350Z, last gen M3, BMW 335i, and that one chevy engine. So unless I supercharge my car, I am not comfortable my 350 hp will hold out for more than 3-4 years.

I want that comforatable lead for a long long time, and I think the Camaro SS will give that to me.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #30
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Soldier View Post
A Z/28 would be good enough for me, I'll just be 18 when I get a new camaro. 550HP would be a killer insurance rate, and im not a big fan of supercharged car. Give me a 350-400HP Z/28 and im happy, and for the extra money I would be forking out for insurance, gas, and the MSRP price of the SS (ZL1), I could turbo a Z/28 and save some money.
omg man,i'm new to theese boards,i've been rading all you guy's input on this and i too am waiting for my camaro,now i fuigure i'm 21 (22 in a month) and i hope by when i'm 25 and insurance drops,they can have my navy blue SS,i'm not much of a poster,i've been reading most of the threads here,and i gotta tell ya's ...GOOD STUFF!!! as for the quote...u'r right man,by 25 i want to get the highest horse powered engine they have,i'm starting to save now,by then i'll probably put a good 20-25 grand down for it,so if it costs 40k,thats cool i'll even pay 50k if i have to..i missed out on muscle cars,and i've been fascinated by them,but until i'm 25 i wont be seeing one.
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #31
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Welcome to the boards Navy, just a few questions for ya. Have you ever owned a high hp muscle car? If you're like me and have been driving four bangers and what not, going straight to a monster machine is probably not gonna be good for you. If you're anything like me you're foot will turn to lead as if you were a 16 year old all over again. You'll have to exercise that much more restraint to not get in trouble with the law. I've raced Vipers at laguna seca, and after driving my eclipse for a few years, getting in the viper and stomping on it scared me. It truly scared me because I wasn't used to the power. If you stomp on the throttle and start fishtailing while lurching forward, you don't feel in control.

This brings me back to my original point. I wouldn't worry too much about the highest hp engine as much as the main thing. I'm going for the vert and I hope they have the LS3. To be honest the L96 or base v8 whatever will be more than enough for me because if you still want more power after you've gotten used to it, you can always trade up. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the top hp trim, but I just think you don't seem to care about anything other than a number.

If you've driven a v8 muscle car before and know you can handle it, then just disregard everything I've just said. =) I'm 25 if you were wondering and yes the viper had me shaking everytime I had to brake for the corkscrew. Even taking that turn at 70 miles an hour almost made me wet myself.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Welcome to the boards Navy, just a few questions for ya. Have you ever owned a high hp muscle car? If you're like me and have been driving four bangers and what not, going straight to a monster machine is probably not gonna be good for you. If you're anything like me you're foot will turn to lead as if you were a 16 year old all over again. You'll have to exercise that much more restraint to not get in trouble with the law. I've raced Vipers at laguna seca, and after driving my eclipse for a few years, getting in the viper and stomping on it scared me. It truly scared me because I wasn't used to the power. If you stomp on the throttle and start fishtailing while lurching forward, you don't feel in control.

This brings me back to my original point. I wouldn't worry too much about the highest hp engine as much as the main thing. I'm going for the vert and I hope they have the LS3. To be honest the L96 or base v8 whatever will be more than enough for me because if you still want more power after you've gotten used to it, you can always trade up. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the top hp trim, but I just think you don't seem to care about anything other than a number.

If you've driven a v8 muscle car before and know you can handle it, then just disregard everything I've just said. =) I'm 25 if you were wondering and yes the viper had me shaking everytime I had to brake for the corkscrew. Even taking that turn at 70 miles an hour almost made me wet myself.
That's what I'm gonna be going through. So far, I'm 21 and haven't driven a v-8. I'm probably going to by a v-6 GM something or other next year when i graduate university. Then save and buy an entry/intermediate v8 camaro in 2010 or so.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #33
izwar

Drives: Silver
ill be 22 by the time the camaro comes out dam feels so far away as im 20 now turning 21 in december.
izwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #34
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

I'll be 25. Don't feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That's what I'm gonna be going through. So far, I'm 21 and haven't driven a v-8. I'm probably going to by a v-6 GM something or other next year when i graduate university. Then save and buy an entry/intermediate v8 camaro in 2010 or so.
I'm going for the LS3 no matter if it's top, base or what. I'm gonna take it out and get used to the power since it'll be my first muscle car ever. Only things I've driven with some power is my stepdad's 2001 porsche C4 cab and the Vipers for Skip Barber (2001 ACR viper). I drive the porsche once in a while and I know how to handle a stiff clutch without any problems, but it's AWD so you can't really lose traction that much, especially with the traction control on.

On the other hand, I will need to learn what rpm's are what speed in each gear so I can quickly learn to rev match while downshifting so I can get my Heel & Toe working. I have super long legs so it's difficult =/
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #35
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post

that honestly is very wise advice,i've driven 4 bangers and currently own a v6 impala,and the fastest car i've drive (at high speeds) was my brother's mustang,though it was a v6,i will most defenetely take your advice,but i've been told by everyone, "If you're buying a sport's car get a V8" so finally this amazing camaro comes,and not downing v6's or anything,i just want a v8,its something different for me,because i've always had to settle with my car's i could never get what i wanted,so its not the power that i want,its the luxury of saying "i really wanted the best....and i got it".

thank you for the valuable advice,and believe me,i'll have my homework done by the time i get it,i should be ok ....i hope heh
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #36
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Sounds good. A v8 is a v8. People have said it themselves, a L76 is more than enough power for them, but they want an LS3 for the status thing. That's why I'm getting it, but I plan on learning the power curve and since I've driven things with a lot of power, I know to be VERY careful about just going balls to the wall soon as I leave the dealer's driveway.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #37
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

yea,i hear ya, though its hard for me to say i wont go nuts with that kind of power,i look at it differently,i like the idea of having the power when i need it to be there,but i also think about what i do (sometimes),but i think by then i'll be matured enought as to realize that the car wasnt given to me,and that i have to trasure it and take extremely good care of it...off the topic..who's sleeping in their camaro the first night they get it...
Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #38
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

i dont know if this has been debated before,but i'm thinking about insurance,any info anyone?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #39
Aptom

Drives: N/A
off the topic..who's sleeping in their camaro the first night they get it...[/QUOTE]

I might be B/C the wife is going to be upset, that i'm getting another car!
Aptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #40
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by izwar View Post
ill be 22 by the time the camaro comes out dam feels so far away as im 20 now turning 21 in december.
Darn kids!!! LOL I'll be 33 in 3 days (Aug 30th).
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #41
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

you yourself are young in my eyes atleast,and i'm not trying to win points with you you're NOT old!! you're as old as you feel
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #42
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Welcome to the boards, Navy Blue. Mindz was right...you be careful. I fishtaled behind a police officer way back when, when I picked up my buddies 93 Cobra from the alarm shop. I didn't even mean to do it. No, I wasn't used to all that power (no he didn't stop me). You will get the hang of it after a few weeks of driving. You'll know your vehicles limits....just know yours.

Oh, and there is a thread covering insurance. Don't know where it is at the moment, but use the search key at the top and you'll see all the threads that have had the word "insurance" posted in the thread. There will be one w/ the title of the thread on insurance.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote