Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #29
Mrhavasu

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I have not noticed any of this. Let me know where its most obvious for you all and I will try it.
Mrhavasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #30
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Can someone set up a poll on this to get an idea if is an isolated or widespread problem?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #31
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
You guys know that the Strut has some room to move and that may be what you hear, There is 3/16" of up and down room so if you hit a bump that may be the Strut dropping and the top of the Strut washer hitting the Strut tower.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #32
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
Update....taking my car in tomarow for this...lets see what the dealer says...also i have rattle noise up by my windshield (lower right corner). When i get my car back i will post...
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
You guys know that the Strut has some room to move and that may be what you hear, There is 3/16" of up and down room so if you hit a bump that may be the Strut dropping and the top of the Strut washer hitting the Strut tower.
This sounds plausible, and most likely what I'm hearing if true.... Why would G.M. leave 0.187" of play !?

Can some type of rubber spacer be put in between ??
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #34
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe View Post
Update....taking my car in tomarow for this...lets see what the dealer says...also i have rattle noise up by my windshield (lower right corner). When i get my car back i will post...
yes, please let us know as I will be going to the dealer sometime before the end of the month for this and would like to know what to say to them because I have been there once about this with no resolution. Thanks.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #35
2SSRS@Gen5diy

I think its the design of the front end, what is needed as a 3 pivot plate, 1 side is for the side to side movement and the top has to stop it from dropping when you hit a bump, Last it has to pivot the strut.

One thing you can do but GM dos not think it is smart, Is to flip the top big washer the one in side the Engine department,It looks like this.

I tried it and had no problem but was told that it limits the side travel of the strut, We are working on some thing now hope to get back to you soon.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
Well i just talked to a service guy at my dealer and he said they all had the loose feeling up front and they drove 3 different cars to compare. They also checked and made sure all was torgued down correctly. Looks like "2ssRS" theory could be correct. Picking up car later today.

Update...well i picked up my car today and they let me drive another 2SS/RS and car made the same noise....it's just the way they come stock ....Good Luck

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 12-10-2009 at 06:09 PM.
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #37
kencarguy
kencarguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS- Inferno Orange w/Black
After follow up with C
ustomer Service, GM Tech Support ( through Dealer Servioce Dept.) and my local Dealer Sales Manager. They have replaced the strut mounts and will do nothing further. GM won't approve replacing anything more because all the other camaros on the lot do the same thing. GM Tech support has nothing more than the service bulletin for the strut mounts. That is supposed to be for noises while cornering.

I think we need for EVERY CAMARO OWNER to get active and raise a stink about this !!!!

No brand new car should do this........ I could have kept my 1997 Camaro... At least I knew it had bad struts....

Keep the pressure on the dealers and GM to recognize this flaw and correct it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kencarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Hay guys this is some info for you from a friend.

I think there is a potential concern for noise at the upper strut bushing/grommet area. I think GM might call it a strut insulator. I have seen the grommet or insulator separating or starting to peel out. It is pretty easy to spot. Just put the vehicle in the air and with a flashlight, and see if you can see the inner piece separating from the outer grommet. Now I do not know if this is related to a bulletin, PIC5177 dated 6/4/09 that talks about snap or popping noises when turning. This noise can be felt at the top mount when turning either direction. GM says the front mount can become contaminated with road debris and want both mounts replaced. In the picture the part is #4.

So can we have you guys take a peek at this are and report? Maybe this is some of the noises we are seeing.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #39
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Hay guys this is some info for you from a friend.

I think there is a potential concern for noise at the upper strut bushing/grommet area. I think GM might call it a strut insulator. I have seen the grommet or insulator separating or starting to peel out. It is pretty easy to spot. Just put the vehicle in the air and with a flashlight, and see if you can see the inner piece separating from the outer grommet. Now I do not know if this is related to a bulletin, PIC5177 dated 6/4/09 that talks about snap or popping noises when turning. This noise can be felt at the top mount when turning either direction. GM says the front mount can become contaminated with road debris and want both mounts replaced. In the picture the part is #4.

So can we have you guys take a peek at this are and report? Maybe this is some of the noises we are seeing.
Cool info 2SSRS My car's in the garage ( storage ), and I don't have the room to check..... Hopefully someone in a warmer climate can check

That black rubber grommet/spacer does not look right !!

Last edited by camarorick; 12-13-2009 at 05:55 PM.
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #40
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
I've got nearly 19,000 miles on my car and not a sound out of the front end.
Everything still feels tight just like new.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #41
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Hi mtcwby how are you?, Looks like you and me are close to the same Mi on the cars, I was driving last week and hit a pot hole and it did it for me, What i think is its the 1/4" to 3/8" that the strut has of up and down travel in the strut tower, I am making some Pillow Ball"s to lock up the front end will let you know how it go's.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #42
Aristomones
Transformer Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT coupe
Hey I picked up my 2010 camaro 1LT in May and almost 700 miles or so I started noticing the same popping noise in the front suspension when going over speed bumps ever so slowly! You can't drive these cars faster then 5mph over the speed bumps or you might get a herniated disc! I brought the car to the dealer and the same story, can't duplicate the noise. So I figured i'll drive slower over bumps! And another issue I have is going over some of the small bridges we have out here in Az. that average about 100 ft. or less because my car bobs like a seasaw front to back but it seems as if it's the front on 1 side then the back to the oposite side of the car! I mention the legnth of the bridge becacause at the average speed here at 45 mph. the car will bob about 3-4 times! I'm looking at other cars to see how they're moving and they bop at the start and the end of the bridge. Then I brought the car in to another dealership exactly 2 months later. The noise would come & go but now I'm worried there's a real problem but they couldn't duplicate the problem and I'm thinking whose nuts here? You all have me hoping this can be resolved. There's stregnth in numbers! Make copies of all responding to this subject page for your complaint & proof to your dealer and for the" record" if It becomes a leagal issue in court if need be. My wife worked for lawyers and says keep records on all important matters! Sorry for the long of it! Artie
Aristomones is offline   Reply With Quote