Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
Annoying rattle from the dash?

This morning on my way to work I stated to hear a very annoying rattle coming from the dash I think. I don't think it was from the glovebox so I'm kinda worried it's coming from a loose screw behind the dash or something. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Haven't had the problem in my Camaro... would make me utterly, maddeningly insane. It's happened in other vehicles, and my eventual solution is to set 'em on fire and roll 'em off a cliff.

Okay, not really, but... the first place I always check is the defroster vents... see if anything fell in there, see if the rattle changes with different blower settings. And, sometimes, a couple of Fonzie- style smacks on the dashboard will shake loose whatever is creating the offending sound.

Just hope that it's not the "Holds- the- whole- car- together" screw. Sucks when THAT one falls out.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Man, that sucks. I hate that too. I've made it my mission in life to eliminate noise wherever I find it, that would drive me batshit.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
I had the same thing on mine and it turned out to be the passenger side A pillar plastic cover rubbing against the dashboard. Push on it and see if it makes any noise. I wedged a small pc of rubber in the joint and it stopped.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
infernostripes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Man, that sucks. I hate that too. I've made it my mission in life to eliminate noise wherever I find it, that would drive me batshit.
Lol I'm not at the bat shit point but it could get there...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
infernostripes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
I had the same thing on mine and it turned out to be the passenger side A pillar plastic cover rubbing against the dashboard. Push on it and see if it makes any noise. I wedged a small pc of rubber in the joint and it stopped.
This could actually be the problem! I thought it was coming from the dash and near the door. I'll check it out after work. It only happens when there's drone though.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

1LEMayhem's post reminded me: I DID have the problem in the Camaro... It sounded like it was coming from the dash, but was actually the little plastic cover over the seat belt anchor point over my left shoulder. That did have me right on the edge of a twitchy, fetal- position, bout into the depths of insanity, but, right before I poured the gasoline on the car to set it on fire and push it into the gravel pit, I noticed the thing flapping around. Snapped it into place, and, other than the sounds of Scorps and Leppard, the cabin's been pretty quiet since.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Dasche

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 1LT/RS
I have noticed a faint "cricket-like" sound when the AC unit is on low... and also noticed the same thing when I drove a Malibu loaner w/the AC unit on low... quite annoying!!!
Dasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasche View Post
I have noticed a faint "cricket-like" sound when the AC unit is on low... and also noticed the same thing when I drove a Malibu loaner w/the AC unit on low... quite annoying!!!

I hear that "cricket- like" sound whenever I tell jokes, ESPECIALLY in my own house. Often accompanied by a sighing sound from irritated kids. Weird.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Hell, I just wish I could drive my car. Stupid snow.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Here is something funny. I drive mine snow, rain or shine and last winter for about 2 or 3 days going to work I could here this rattling sound and it seemed to echo in the car so I could not pin point where it was coming from. The funny part: since I drive mine year round I had stopped at the bank and got a couple rolls of quarters. Broke one open went to the car wash on a Friday, car sat in garage all weekend and come the following week I had this rattle. Turns out it was the loose quarters in the cup holder. Sad part is it took 2 or 3 days to figure out because it didn't sound like coins and it sure didn't sound like it was coming from the consoles cup holders.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote