Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
Has Anybody got Spacers on their camaro?

This is my 1st experience with getting Wheel* spacers, which im still considering. im not exactly sure how far i could go without scraping so ANY pics or comments on ones experience with them would be great!
i was thinking of getting 1/2inch/10MM?
also my car is lowered with eibachs springs n sways around an inch all around. any problems with that?
i have stock 20in SS rims.

If anybody has gotten them can you post pics and include rim/tire size and what MM spacer you have.

thanks guys.

Last edited by SoTHavok; 11-02-2012 at 06:58 PM.
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Why do want to use wheel spacers?

I would never recommend anyone to use spacers, and a 10mm one is huge. Not only will they put an large amount of additional strain on your lug nuts, but if your still using the stock wheels, they're going to push your scrub radius out and mess up the dynamics of your suspension and steering.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Lambo Camaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
i didnt get wheel spacers on mine i think the camaro called for 265 35 22 and i had my shock plates bent to put 265 40 22 on mine and it didnt cost but 25 a tire .
Lambo Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
dtodd6012

Drives: 2SS 6M Convertible GFX
I have spacers on my Camaro. I went with 26mm in the front and 22mm in the rear. Combined with my 1.4" Drop in the front and 1" drop in the rear I am very happy with the stance.

Here are a few pictures ...

dtodd6012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
What tail lights are those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtodd6012 View Post
I have spacers on my Camaro. I went with 26mm in the front and 22mm in the rear. Combined with my 1.4" Drop in the front and 1" drop in the rear I am very happy with the stance.

sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Spacers and /or wheel adapters,which the car above has,are a definitely a NO-NO with these cars.
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
dtodd6012

I did do an alignment but I lowered as well so it was definitely necessary.

They are H&R hub-centric spacers. I have had them on for 5000+ miles with not a single issue yet.

If I was dragging it every day or something I would understand why you wouldn't want them but for daily use and some playing around I have had no problems.

I agree that especially when lowered the wheels often look buried. I am very happy with the stance and how flush they are, I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
dtodd6012

Just north of Detroit
Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
SoTHavok

Quote:

that looks amazing with your side skirts
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
SoTHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
Spacers and /or wheel adapters,which the car above has,are a definitely a NO-NO with these cars.
can you explain more in detail why there so bad? from what i've the worst thing that can happen is bearing pressure and damage and bottoming out in the back

also with spacers in the front wouldn't it actually improve handling with wider wheels in front compared to back
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
SoTHavok

Quote:
I did do an alignment but I lowered as well so it was definitely necessary.

They are H&R hub-centric spacers. I have had them on for 5000+ miles with not a single issue yet.

If I was dragging it every day or something I would understand why you wouldn't want them but for daily use and some playing around I have had no problems.

I agree that especially when lowered the wheels often look buried. I am very happy with the stance and how flush they are, I couldn't be happier.
thats good to know i think i have my wheels/suspension exactly like yours with 1inch lowered eibach springs and stock SS rims which i believe are 20in if im not mistaken front/back?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
dtodd6012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTHavok View Post
thats good to know i think i have my wheels/suspension exactly like yours with 1inch lowered eibach springs and stock SS rims which i believe are 20in if im not mistaken front/back?

Yes, I am also running the stock wheels/tires but I have a split drop ... 1.4" front and 1" rear utilizing BMR drop springs but very similar set up.

I have had no contact issues of any sort or any wear issues.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTHavok View Post
can you explain more in detail why there so bad? from what i've the worst thing that can happen is bearing pressure and damage and bottoming out in the back

also with spacers in the front wouldn't it actually improve handling with wider wheels in front compared to back
Component Wear

• Wheel spacers can cause accelerated wear on suspension and hub components because of the added stress that they place on parts that were designed to certain tolerances by the manufacturer. Because the wheels are further from the hub, more stress is placed on the wheel bearing, hubs and/or axles, potentially causing these parts to fail prematurely.

Heavier Steering

• Depending on the size of the wheel spacers, the steering will potentially become heavier. The wider track means that more effort is needed to turn the wheels, which can make it more difficult to turn the steering wheel. Again, this is dependent on the width of the spacer. A small, ¼-inch width spacer will not have as much effect as a 1- or 2-inch spacer.

This is just a brief summary.In my opinion it is better to have wheels with the correct offset or when using the stock wheels leave them tucked in.

This issue continues to be debated,but to each his own
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote