Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis550 View Post
I have a question... How are you getting such high numbers? Are you resetting your average often?

most likely. the funny thing I noticed with mine is on the highway I can easily get 30-35 mpg. but just stop and take off from one traffic light with about a 30 second wait, and it drops down to 28 or so. another light or two and it's down to 22. doesn't take much to make that great looking number pretty crappy.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #30
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
took a 300 mile trip with my 2ls, and averaged 33.5mpg doing 75mph
Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #31
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Yeah, I finally reset mine on a road trip after I filled up. A/C was on 3 gas station right off of highway. I eased it up the on ramp. 20 miles of nearly no traffic it read 33 mpg. I nearly ran off the road when I saw it!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  100.2 KB
Sorry for the blur, I was going 75 by the way. And I had to pass a car before I took the picture so that makes up for the .2 mile difference you see here.
CruisingSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #32
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
Yeah, I finally reset mine on a road trip after I filled up. A/C was on 3 gas station right off of highway. I eased it up the on ramp. 20 miles of nearly no traffic it read 33 mpg. I nearly ran off the road when I saw it
For this post (or any other) to have any validity, I must ask... what type Camaro do you have (can you be more specific than "Black")?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #33
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
why do people always say you didnt drive it far enough. If he drives 15 miles and used so much gas then thats what he got.
Because most of the time, people check their mpgs for (say, 15 miles) and claim their car gets 30+ mpgs. What about the rest of the time? Why not just check it for 5 miles? Or one mile? I can reset my MPG, drive a mile, and get 35-40+ mpgs - or reset when doing 60, let off the gas (or shift to neutral) and get 60 mpgs immediately. It means NOTHING as far as what kind of mpgs I get on a regular basis.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
This^
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #35
HmBuilder2

Drives: 2014 RRM 2LT RS
My wife and I just took my 2014 2LT/RS Auto trans on a 300 mile round trip yesterday, I filled up prior to us leaving and when we returned on, My DIC showed 21.1 MPG. I averaged 70 MPH and had maybe the air on for 1 to 1 1/2 hours total.
Anybody wanna show me how to get 26-28 on the highway, I am all ears.
But on A bright side, I loved getting to spend the day with my wife and drive my RRM baby.
HmBuilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Because most of the time, people check their mpgs for (say, 15 miles) and claim their car gets 30+ mpgs. What about the rest of the time? Why not just check it for 5 miles? Or one mile? I can reset my MPG, drive a mile, and get 35-40+ mpgs - or reset when doing 60, let off the gas (or shift to neutral) and get 60 mpgs immediately. It means NOTHING as far as what kind of mpgs I get on a regular basis.
Because every new car sold in the US has two MPGs given, one for highway and one for city. Not ONE has an average MPG, (they are doing estimated annual fuel costs now, which is not useful as gas prices vary, mileages vary and how a car is driven varies) which is what you say is the only way to figure it right. And that is not right. People that want to see how their car compares to the Govt rating, would have to find a highway with zero grade changes, wind and nearby traffic; set the cruise; reset the average MPG and check it in a few miles. The computer will have the average quicky, so you don't need a lot of miles. The best way would be to use mile markers as start/stop points on a two lane highway and make a pass in each direction. You should see near the Govt rating if your car is completely stock. Of course letting off the gas going downhill, you can get the DIC to show anything. But someone who is really trying to see what their car is getting is not going to do that for their info. There is a big difference between highway, city and avg MPG, and some people want to see all the numbers not just the average.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #37
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HmBuilder2 View Post
My wife and I just took my 2014 2LT/RS Auto trans on a 300 mile round trip yesterday, I filled up prior to us leaving and when we returned on, My DIC showed 21.1 MPG. I averaged 70 MPH and had maybe the air on for 1 to 1 1/2 hours total.
Anybody wanna show me how to get 26-28 on the highway, I am all ears.
But on A bright side, I loved getting to spend the day with my wife and drive my RRM baby.
How many miles on your car? MPG is not as good during break-in. Did you reset you DIC prior or during the drive? If not, you were still averaging all your driving since your last reset.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #38
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I reset mine before a trip to the local community college (mostly highway) and got like 28.5mpg
No you didn't- At best the SS averages 22-23 MPG on the interstate..... CASE CLOSED !!!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #39
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
Yeah, I finally reset mine on a road trip after I filled up. A/C was on 3 gas station right off of highway. I eased it up the on ramp. 20 miles of nearly no traffic it read 33 mpg. I nearly ran off the road when I saw it!Attachment 624378
Sorry for the blur, I was going 75 by the way. And I had to pass a car before I took the picture so that makes up for the .2 mile difference you see here.
Double ......Of all the exagerations here on Camaro5 the most common is the MPG posts.
Again Over 22-23 MPG- average interstate: Your going down hill, no traffic, with a tail wind, with your cruise control set at 65.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #40
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
exactly, I reset it in my wifes car the other day while driving and hers said 99MPG.

they can be accurate, but sometimes from my experience they can read out on the high side. Example, a buddy of mine has a 14' Silverado 4x4 crew cab with the 5.3. He sent me a picture of his computer showing a read out of 27MPG at 70MPH. I think we all know a Silverado isn't going to get 27MPG at 70

An instantaneous readout of 27 mpg on the highway in a Silverado is hardly a reason to dismiss the DIC as inaccurate. That may even be possible on a level grade. The instantaneous mpg could far exceed that if he was on a downhill grade or had a tailwind.

People just don't seem to understand the difference between instantaneous mpg, short term average mpg, and long term average mpg.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #41
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I reset the DIC when I got the car and I'm at 23.4 average now after two years but for the first two weeks I was babying the car and my average was 26.x mpg. I do take off quick and well, I don't drive like like a granny and still at 23.4 after two years... In the winter I do let the car idle for 30 minutes so it's nice and toasty when I get inside. Does that lower your average mpg?
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #42
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
How many miles on your car? MPG is not as good during break-in. Did you reset you DIC prior or during the drive? If not, you were still averaging all your driving since your last reset.

lol. there isn't really a break in period, and it certainly wouldn't effect your MPG'S

the bottom line is, for some unknown reason MPG threads always turn into a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. why people feel compelled to lie about something so stupid as MPG's is beyond me. I don't know if its an ego thing, if they're just egging people on, or what. but go to any MB on the internet and you'll see threads like these.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote