Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #43
Gameover

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
I have litterally pulled up to a 4-way stop and NOT seen a ford explorer that was to my right. (yes, an SUV)
It's funny you mentioned an "explorer". When I first had my explorer, I had similiar issues with the mirror because it was positioned right at eye level. I also didn't see a couple of cars to the right, while at a four-way stop. Fortunately, I was able to move the 2 or 3 inch stem upward, out of eye level and that corrected the problem. I know some cars have little or no stem on the mirror, which would have been a problem. I haven't seen a camaro yet, so I don't know if it has a stem on the mirror to adjust!
Gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #44
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
If you don't like that mirror then you won't like a vette...
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #45
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
i drive an '05 mustang (motivated seller/purchase of convenience lol)

i do sometimes have to duck my head to look under the mirror at certain times but not very often and it hasn't been a major inconvenience
Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #46
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
When I sat in a 1LT at the Dealer it seemed ok to me (6'2" here), it was up higher.
In fact it looked like a 2 ended ball joint that could be lifted up then readjusted like my truck's mirror.

Better view:
That is all that is holding it, a ball joint. It can be adjusted all the way up to where it almost touches the front of the headliner (that's what I did in my my old Sunfire). If that is done, and angled so you can use it, it'll be no problem at all.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #47
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I look forward to having the problem, real or perceived.

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #48
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
I have it from a pretty reliable source that the mirror was made larger so that the owner will have a bigger view of the ear to ear smile he/she has on their face when driving.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #49
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_9 View Post
I look forward to having the problem, real or perceived.
hahahahhaha me too!
but, from the pictures, it looks about the same as my fourth gen
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #50
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
The auto dimming mirror must be bigger than the regular mirror.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #51
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
The auto dimming mirror must be bigger than the regular mirror.
oh, thats why one is bulky and rounded, and the other is slender looking with out the extra plastic all the way around?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #52
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
oh, thats why one is bulky and rounded, and the other is slender looking with out the extra plastic all the way around?
The auto dimming has a sensor on the face of it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #53
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
This is the exact reason I will only make right hand turns at 4way stop signs
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #54
djo165

Drives: 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
The interior mirror is about 2X as tall/thick as it needs to be and creates a MAJOR BLIND SPOT (that I didn’t even think about being there.)
The mirror could have been much much smaller and done the job… maybe I can get a smaller one from GMPP because it has OnStar in it.

BTW GM, windshield space is a PREMIUM on this car, please move OnStar buttons somewhere else.
I'm glad someone else noticed this. I noticed it as soon as I sat in one. I think a good fix would be if GM would put the buttons for Onstar along the top of the mirror, instead of the bottom. The glass along the top there is blacked out anyway, so it wouldn't make any difference.

I wonder if you could just rotate the mirror upside down? Although that would screw up the dimming function. Moving it up as high as possible is probably the best thing to do short of replacing it.
djo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #55
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
I'm 5' 11'' and I noticed this too when I went to check out the new Camaro. I even took a picture with the camera agaist my face looking into the mirror, so it is literally from my exact perspective. Also, check out the sun visor from my perspective... check it out.
I only sat in a new Camaro, (2LT/RS), not driven one. I must admit, the mirror does bother me though. It does eat up quite a bit of forward visibility to me, because it sits so low. I can't help but think they could have done a better job with it. I will say this however. The Camaro i sat in had the more rounded mirror, not the more rectangular one in the photo "Camaro Lives On" provided. I think I'd actually prefer the rectangular version...but would still like to look into it for real.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #56
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
I only sat in a new Camaro, (2LT/RS), not driven one. I must admit, the mirror does bother me though. It does eat up quite a bit of forward visibility to me, because it sits so low. I can't help but think they could have done a better job with it. I will say this however. The Camaro i sat in had the more rounded mirror, not the more rectangular one in the photo "Camaro Lives On" provided. I think I'd actually prefer the rectangular version...but would still like to look into it for real.
The one I looked at was a 1LT/RS, so this might explain why the mirror is less bulky.