Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Dropped my Camaro off for service.. Think I freaked out the service manager

Maybe I'm too technical, or maybe the service manager is just used to folks bringing in their car and saying "It makes this issue, fix it!".

I work as an Computer analyst/engineer by trade. If I have an issue with my own stuff, I'm going to research the issue and provide as much information to the dealer as possible.

I've had some minor issues that have annoyed me since I bought the car. Since the factory warranty is almost up, I figured I'd bring it in to have those issues addressed.

Maybe I provided too much info because the service manager looked puzzled when I gave him this:

Symptom: Odor coming from AC vents after AC was ran for a while, then turned off.
Possible Root Cause: ? Condensation on the coils not drying?
Notes: Intermittent. Usually happens after the AC had been running for a while, then car stopped (like getting gas or other short stop), then AC starts up again.
Documentation# / TSB#: 99-01-39-004C / #09207A / PIP4988 ?
Resolution Notes: Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating. Ask your dealer if they enabled the "afterblow feature" this will turn the blower fan on after the car is parked. This should remove any dampness left in the evaporator case. It has to be turned on with a scan tool.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: Squeaky noise from HVAC blower motor/fan
Possible Root Cause: Bad motor? Motor lubrication insufficient?
Notes: Intermittent. Sounds like crickets or a high-pitch pulsating tone when blower is on lower setting. The pulsing frequency increases the faster the blower motor is spinning.
Documentation# / TSB#: ?
Resolution Notes: ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: Service Stabilitrak warning displayed on DIC at startup
Possible Root Cause: ?
Notes: Only happens at startup for a couple seconds
Documentation# / TSB#: #PIC5432A: Service Stabilitrak Message Displayed At Startup - (Apr 28, 2011) Document ID: 2644901
Resolution Notes: Reprogram the EBCM with the revised calibration

Symptom: Clunk noise when going over speed bump
Possible Root Cause: Leaky/Bad strut? Loose front suspension bolts? This condition may be caused by the jounce bumper slamming into the upper spring seat because it is not retained in the correct up position. The jounce bumper loses position due to oil being deposited onto its retention fingers. The oil is from the strut leaking
Notes: It appears this is an issue on several Zeta platform vehicles (Pontiac G8, Camaro, Holden commodore)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+strut+TSB&#14
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...k+strut+TSB&#2
Documentation# / TSB#: #PIC5177 ? 12-03-08-001
Resolution Notes:

Symptom: Lifter ticking noise at startup
Possible Root Cause: This occurrence is from oil bleed down in the lifter after the car is shut off for two or more hours the oil bleeds out of the lifter and then takes a while to refill and compress therefore the tapping noise at startup. The new design of lifter eliminates this problem.
Notes: Only happens for 30 seconds or so after a cold start. Info I read points to “lifter chatter”. TSB# states there are new designed lifters to take care of this issue.
Documentation# / TSB#: #PIP4499D/PIP4499E: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More - AFM Engines - (May 25, 2010)
Resolution Notes: New designed lifters need to be installed to remedy the issue.

Symptom: Squeaky Brembo Brakes
Possible Root Cause: Harmonic vibration? Excessive Brake Dust?
Notes: When dry, brakes emit a high pitch squeal with light to moderate brake pressure
Documentation# / TSB#: PIE0032A: EI09304 - Engineering Information - Front and/or Rear Disc Brake Scrape/Squeal Noise.
Resolution Notes: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52217#16
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
It's because the service manager doesn't care about the car as much as you do.

He is going to put a brief description of the problem into the system, and have the tech figure it out. They don't pay any attention to "write-ups" like this.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

lol.. I was just trying to be helpful.

The funny thing was when I scheduled the appointment online, they didn't allow much text in the "describe the problem field".. I had to email the list above to the service manager once I got there.

Maybe the tech will find it helpful.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
T4JEt

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1 with RS Package
Send a message via Skype™ to T4JEt
Good for you for being thorough! I hope I make the time to do the same prior to my warranty being up.

T4JEt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
jrohan07

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Supercharged SLP
Let us know how that works out for you to see if it all gets fixed under warranty or they want to charge you.
jrohan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post

He is going to put a brief description of the problem into the system, and have the tech figure it out. They don't pay any attention to "write-ups" like this.
My exact experience when I showed them a TSB for an issue my car was having
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
lol.. I was just trying to be helpful.

The funny thing was when I scheduled the appointment online, they didn't allow much text in the "describe the problem field".. I had to email the list above to the service manager once I got there.

Maybe the tech will find it helpful.
Yea, I get where your head is at. When I was fresh-faced into car enthusiasm, I used to do the same thing.

Frankly, they don't care.

After the first time I wrote up an explanation, I never saw the sheet again. It was obvious they threw it away.

The second time, I made multiple copies and even left a few in the car. They didn't even budge, so it was obvious they weren't read.

They don't care about this stuff. They have their standard process for work being done, and that's what they follow.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:

Man this pains me..... you're right.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:

mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

I told them my MAIN concerns were the lifter noise and the suspension noises (in case it was a leaky strut).

The others seemed like small issues that could be easily fixed by the dealer.

The service manager asked me if I thought about opening a "lemon law" case on the car due to the amount of things I listed..

I was like, "No way.. I put too much into the car to do that for relatively easy fixes".
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

I wish I wasn't right.

Truth be told, I see it all too much. Hell, my one old "friend" is even the service manager at my dealer. He is so adherent to the dealer business model, that he won't even make any exceptions for me. He even goes into full salesman-mode on me when I get frusturated with the dealer services. He feeds me so much BS that I consider him a "friend" now because its clear he doesn't give a crap about me or my car. He just wants to do his job and save face in front of his management. I have spent a lot of money there also, so it pisses me off.

Now, imagine a sales manager that you don't have a relationship with.

It sucks, but it's true.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Well, I guess I just did research for my own self-gratification then.

at least I know that I can't be bullshitted..

Not that I think they would, so far this has been a really great dealer to work with.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
tcalh1

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I guess it depends on your dealership. Mine (Larry Puckett Chevrolet) goes the extra step when I have problem. <not a paid endorsement>
I have NEVER had a good experience with a dealership until I found them.
tcalh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

should've known it was going to be interesting as I've been driving around without door panels for a couple months while I've been working on my interior painting/LED project.

I opened the car door and he got wide eyed and said "Woah! You're missing parts!!".

I said, "nope.. they are in my living room!"