Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Unhappy Driver license and registration question

I got into an argument with my parent today and its annoying. Since they would not shut up about it.

Here is what going on. I have Florida Driver license, I've join the US AF. Got sent to NC to station there after basic training. Saved up my money, and bought a Camaro in NC. The Dealer took care of my car registration and got me a NC license plate. I called USAA, which is my bank and my insurance provider. They put NC insurance policy on my camaro.

After got the car for about a month, I took leave and came down to FL on a visit. I look at my Driver license and notice that it'll expired in 6 months. So i went ahead and renew it. That's when my mom ask me, is it okay to have FL driver license and have your car register in NC? I told her it should, since I'm in the service. I'll be moving all the time, why would i need to get NC driver license to drive my car?. If i do need it I'll end up having all driver license from every states.

My question is, can you have FL driver license and drive a car that register in NC, and NC auto insurance? Since my residency is in FL. I don't want to have to move my residency to NC and all that ridiculously hideous paper work. I don't have time for that.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
Isn't this technically dual residency?
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

i have no idea, my residency is in FL at the moment as far as i know. I'm just station in NC for about 7 months now.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
nukemustang

Drives: 2017 Raptor, 2017 SS
I live in Hawaii and have a Florida driver's license that has my Hawaii address on it and my truck has Hawaii plates/registration and Hawaii Insurance.

Over the last 16 years, I have kept my Florida driver’s license, just kept updating the current address on it, and usually put the local plates on my vehicles (except when I was stationed in Virginia…. But that is another story) so the cat/truck sticks out a little less.

I have kept Florida as my legal residence, I vote through Florida and I intend to return there someday…
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
Hmm, I could be wrong...but if memory serves, I think with regard to military personnel, two of the three items (License, Insurance, Registration) have to be from the same state. So FL License with NC Reg & Ins should be fine. Usually Insurance requires that you are insured in the state where the vehicle has its majority of time spent (primary location).
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i think you are ok.i believe unless you are a permanent resident for over a year,you will not need to change.because you are in the service,i think you are definitely ok.if you are in doubt,you can call the local registration office and they would know the answer.i am sure with a base in your area,they have been asked this many times.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

that's what i thought, My vehicle will be in NC all the time. So no point of having Insurance in FL (which is more expensive than NC) and have my car in NC. We get snow here in NC, so FL insurance policy would be useless.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I think it depends on the State ... I believe in Florida for example, you have 30 or 90 days to update your drivers license after moving here. I'm not sure what time duration defines fulltime resident ...
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

I think i have to ask First Sgt about this. It annoying
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
There are 3 things involved.
Driver's license, Title and Registration. In what State is the car "Titled" (ownership)? It does not have to be in the same state as the registration. The Insurance should comply with the State in which it is registered because the insurance has to meet that State's requirements. Since you are in the Service it probably doesn't matter. Otherwise the driver's license and registration shoul be from the same state in which you are a resident. The original title should also be in the State in which you reside. When you move about the "Title" does not have to be changed but the Registration (license plates) should move with your resedency.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
it does not matter what state you are in. if you are in the military you do not have to change your license. its a service members relief deal congress passed. therefore its federal and overrides any state law about changing your license. as far as your insurance, thats up to the company. if a company wants to insure a car in alaska and they are in texas they can. you can register a vehicle in any state you have an address in. my legal address is illinois, but i live in delaware. i have registerd vehicles in both states in the last 2 years. you are also not required to change your legal address. i would keep it in florida if you plan to return there someday. it is a huge pain to change.
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
jty03

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewelSS View Post
it does not matter what state you are in. if you are in the military you do not have to change your license. its a service members relief deal congress passed. therefore its federal and overrides any state law about changing your license. as far as your insurance, thats up to the company. if a company wants to insure a car in alaska and they are in texas they can. you can register a vehicle in any state you have an address in. my legal address is illinois, but i live in delaware. i have registerd vehicles in both states in the last 2 years. you are also not required to change your legal address. i would keep it in florida if you plan to return there someday. it is a huge pain to change.
That's right. If you are stationed anywhere other than your home state incident to military orders (as it looks like your case) then you are always entitled to pretty much everything either in the state of your legal residence (FL for you) or in the state you're stationed in (NC). For insurance you should have it in the state you live (NC).

Check out the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act, it's pretty awesome and covers wayyyy more than vehicle business. Leases, cell phone plans for deployment, etc.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
This is correct, the "two out of three" rule applies. IN FACT, if your Drivers Licence experied, that would be ok too as long as you have your Military ID with you at all times. I was in that boat for YEARS when I was in. My lincience was expired in TEXAS, had TEXAS plates, and insured in four different states during my enlistment.....you are good to go!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
Quote:
Originally Posted by jty03 View Post
That's right. If you are stationed anywhere other than your home state incident to military orders (as it looks like your case) then you are always entitled to pretty much everything either in the state of your legal residence (FL for you) or in the state you're stationed in (NC). For insurance you should have it in the state you live (NC).

Check out the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act, it's pretty awesome and covers wayyyy more than vehicle business. Leases, cell phone plans for deployment, etc.
yea i couldnt think of the exact name. i had no idea there were so many other military members on here.
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote