Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Whoops, missed that 1,000 rwhp part.

Yea OP, an LS3 can't safely/reliably make 1,000 rwhp without you having to worry about something breaking.
"Safely/reliably" wow. You can throw a dump truck load of money and expertise at it and a thousand RWHP isn't reality safely/reliably. What about the rest of the car? You need another dump truck load of benjamins for everything behind the motor. Fun to talk about and spend someone else's money though
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
"Safely/reliably" wow. You can throw a dump truck load of money and expertise at it and a thousand RWHP isn't reality safely/reliably. What about the rest of the car? You need another dump truck load of benjamins for everything behind the motor. Fun to talk about and spend someone else's money though
Well yea, I kind of assumed the OP understood that the rest of the drivetrain , axles, suspension, etc. needs to be upgraded as well.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
The best way to go is to do all the labor yourself and get an lsx 416. Price will come down to about 9.5k.

You're going to come in at more than 9.5k, you'll still be at 12-13 with the machining of a bare block, if you do the correct machine work, there's a lot of it.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Well yea, I kind of assumed the OP understood that the rest of the drivetrain , axles, suspension, etc. needs to be upgraded as well.
Not picking on you, or anybody else for that matter. 1000rwhp sometimes gets thrown around like it's easily/safely/reliably done. It's not. Takes a big commitment and a carefully mapped out plan. It's not a street car anymore if the "safely" part of it is even remotely considered. Roll cage, fire supression system, etc. I admire those that do it right. Most, me included, can have a whole lot of fun at rwhp numbers way less than that.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
1000 whp is tough without pushing water on the 4 bolt.. otherwise id be pushing 1000. Ill be keeping mine around 900-925.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
It took me 6 months, on a plan that was to take 3, and I'm not sure ill ever see 4 digits on the dyno. Because to control 1000whp on the track I'll be running a turbo 400, drivetrain loss much? I agree with Motorhead here, the engine is just the beginning of the project.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Contact AES
http://aesracing.net/ Just keep in mind it's silly season lol
Iirc they were welding an ear on the blocks for a 6 bolt head. How much boost will you be using? Will you be going s/c or turbo?
It turbo you won't be needing 6bolt heads. I've seen plenty of Ls1/2/3's with forged internals and ARP head studs IN the 900's you'll be fine.
Good luck
this man speaks the truth, litle ive keep up with alot of ur post , u are a very knowledgeable person on ls stuff.
u run a shop or anything. u and my buddy that owns kyspeed think alot alike

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Not picking on you, or anybody else for that matter. 1000rwhp sometimes gets thrown around like it's easily/safely/reliably done. It's not. Takes a big commitment and a carefully mapped out plan. It's not a street car anymore if the "safely" part of it is even remotely considered. Roll cage, fire supression system, etc. I admire those that do it right. Most, me included, can have a whole lot of fun at rwhp numbers way less than that.
Agreed. Everyone always asks about reliability and alot of people reply back everything SHOULD be fine. Reliability goes out out the window when you are doubling or tripling the hp that this car was designed to be. It is a big daisy chain hp/trq always finds the weak link, and it never stops looking for it. If you know that going in it makes the process a lot easier to stomach.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #23
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDON_DBB View Post
buy already built shortblock from texas speed or other place of recomendation or buy a rotating assembly and try and find someone to install it. Im looking for the least expensive and relible rout togo. Im aiming for 1000rwhp
There is no least expensive/reliable route to 1000rwhp! At least in my experience there isn't. YMMV
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
There are numerous engine builders which can handle this task. You're going to need a LSX with 6 bolt heads (inherent reliability). However, my advise based on your post. I would have a solid LSX shortblock installed and push that to a manageable level. See how like it at that power level. You can always upgrade components at you're own pace if you have that solid shortblock foundation. If you still want more power, you have a foundation installed that will do the job . I will remind you of one thing. The words least expensive and 1000 WHP don't usually work well together.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
BDON_DBB

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS D1SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
There are numerous engine builders which can handle this task. You're going to need a LSX with 6 bolt heads (inherent reliability). However, my advise based on your post. I would have a solid LSX shortblock installed and push that to a manageable level. See how like it at that power level. You can always upgrade components at you're own pace if you have that solid shortblock foundation. If you still want more power, you have a foundation installed that will do the job . I will remind you of one thing. The words least expensive and 1000 WHP don't usually work well together.
FrOm what im hearing. Id have to agree lol. I just want a street car that will beat 1000cc sportbikes. So i have to keepit at 900. I may just do that
BDON_DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDON_DBB View Post
FrOm what im hearing. Id have to agree lol. I just want a street car that will beat 1000cc sportbikes. So i have to keepit at 900. I may just do that

Actually the 700 to 800 range is still expensive but you don't have to anything exotic to get there. Stroker blower cam and some work to the drive train will usually land in the 700 to 800. For 800 you'll probably need to push things a bit. I think 900 is going to take something exotic. Twin turbos.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
If you have a good solid, consistent combination . You can handle most 1000cc bike (riders) with a lot less than 1000 WHP. A 700 WHP car is really good driving street car and 600 isn't too bad either. I'm not sure what your power level is but I wouldn't recomend jumping in head first unless you're extremely committed to your goals. Have fun with it and get a solid short block that you can beat on with some durability. You'll probably be happier in the long run with way less than 1000 whp
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
BDON_DBB

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS D1SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
If you have a good solid, consistent combination . You can handle most 1000cc bike (riders) with a lot less than 1000 WHP. A 700 WHP car is really good driving street car and 600 isn't too bad either. I'm not sure what your power level is but I wouldn't recomend jumping in head first unless you're extremely committed to your goals. Have fun with it and get a solid short block that you can beat on with some durability. You'll probably be happier in the long run with way less than 1000 whp
Im sitting at 700rwhp right now. With d1sc a cam fuel support and othe minor mods. I beat 600s, im aiming for 1000s. And yes it is a streetcar haha
BDON_DBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matt @ fsp