Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #29
Jpb972

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
It is more than 80lbs.

Sleeved aluminum blocks have made 2000+rwhp so more than enough. ERL has cars well into the 6s making ~2500hp on their sleeved setups, so the block isn't an issue.
Wow. Didn't think this was possible.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #30
Jpb972

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokum View Post
Im looking at going dart ls next block. Have a friend building one right now and i'm excited to see the outcome in the end. He went with the sleeved aluminum block. And it is getting all the best parts thrown at it.
Keep us up to date.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #31
Jpb972

Quote:
Jesse Rayo is running a ERL block at 1400+rwhp for example.

http://www.erlperformance.com/all-ne...st-and-fastest
awesome video
Old 12-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #32
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Yah, the one I've been talking about the whole time. ERL does 6 bolt sleeved aluminum blocks. Which gen IV aluminum block you start with doesn't matter. ls2,3,7,l76, l99, l92, etc or even the 5.3L truck aluminum blocks. They machine them out and they all land up being the same in the end
Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #33
Jpb972

Quote:
Yah, the one I've been talking about the whole time. ERL does 6 bolt sleeved aluminum blocks. Which gen IV aluminum block you start with doesn't matter. ls2,3,7,l76, l99, l92, etc or even the 5.3L truck aluminum blocks. They machine them out and they all land up being the same in the end
Gotcha. I went on their site and saw what they do. Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #34
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpb972 View Post
Thanks man. I actually did read that the other day.
30lbs !? Can I ask what block you are going to use?
It is the Superdeck... My new motor is a custom proprietary build.

My old motor was a 427 initially and ended up being a 429... Honed it .005ths... It was designed for 800 flywheel hp and we made 1440 RWHP with it... and a bit more on spray... A 150 shot netted us an additional 300 RWHP... Our biggest problem was keeping the heads down and the head gaskets where they belonged... My last mile pass I pushed the Cometic gasket out of three cylinders on the right bank...

The motor they are building for me isn't listed on their website... It's a special order item. It'll be 417 cubic inches with a 3.9 stroke... Callies Dragon Slayer custom grind crankshaft with oversized main and rod journals, Ross Racing Pistons with ceramic tops, AllPro Proprietary Heads, ARP over sized aged studs and a Jesel valve train...a solid roller custom grind Cam in the neighborhood of .800 lift, The deck on the heads is 1" thick.. The motor is good for up to 3,500 flywheel HP... though we will start around 2,600 flywheel and 2000ish on the ground....

Here's the rub... The Darton sleeve cylinders are the same regardless if it's built for 800 flywheel HP or 3,500 flywheel HP...

The biggest difference in the block is the 6 bolt pattern and the girdle they use to reinforce it... It is well designed and located. My motor will be ringed at the heads to help contain the boost... They are using proprietary head gaskets... The block will also be half filled... This is a material they pour into the block to help stiffen it... We are also going to a dry sump system with a five or six stage pump. Hence, I've lost the air conditioning... No biggee... We are also building a custom in house fabricated intake and can spin this motor up to 9,000 rpm if the two big Weldon external fuel pumps can hang...

Bare in mind, this is a very high HP build... There are a ton of options available that are more cost effective and street friendly... I'll drive mine on the streets for very limited distances and times... If I travel over about 60 miles from my house or shop, it goes on the trailer... I certainly can't pull into the local corner garage if something quit working...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #35
Jpb972

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

My old motor was a 427 initially and ended up being a 429... Honed it .005ths... It was designed for 800 flywheel hp and we made 1440 RWHP with it... and a bit more on spray... A 150 shot netted us an additional 300 RWHP... Our biggest problem was keeping the heads down and the head gaskets where they belonged... My last mile pass I pushed the Cometic gasket out of three cylinders on the right bank...

The motor they are building for me isn't listed on their website... It's a special order item. It'll be 417 cubic inches with a 3.9 stroke... Callies Dragon Slayer custom grind crankshaft with oversized main and rod journals, Ross Racing Pistons with ceramic tops, AllPro Proprietary Heads, ARP over sized aged studs and a Jesel valve train...a solid roller custom grind Cam in the neighborhood of .800 lift, The deck on the heads is 1" thick.. The motor is good for up to 3,500 flywheel HP... though we will start around 2,600 flywheel and 2000ish on the ground....

Here's the rub... The Darton sleeve cylinders are the same regardless if it's built for 800 flywheel HP or 3,500 flywheel HP...

The biggest difference in the block is the 6 bolt pattern and the girdle they use to reinforce it... It is well designed and located. My motor will be ringed at the heads to help contain the boost... They are using proprietary head gaskets... The block will also be half filled... This is a material they pour into the block to help stiffen it... We are also going to a dry sump system with a five or six stage pump. Hence, I've lost the air conditioning... No biggee... We are also building a custom in house fabricated intake and can spin this motor up to 9,000 rpm if the two big Weldon external fuel pumps can hang...

Bare in mind, this is a very high HP build... There are a ton of options available that are more cost effective and street friendly... I'll drive mine on the streets for very limited distances and times... If I travel over about 60 miles from my house or shop, it goes on the trailer... I certainly can't pull into the local corner garage if something quit working...

Wow. Thanks man! A lot of good info. This clears up some things for me.
Was your 427 a 6 bolt head?

And good luck with your new motor! I will be waiting to read about that beast!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #36
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpb972 View Post
Wow. Thanks man! A lot of good info. This clears up some things for me.
Was your 427 a 6 bolt head?

And good luck with your new motor! I will be waiting to read about that beast!
No, the old motor was a 4 bolt block... and even with oversized studs and LSA heads, we couldn't keep head gaskets in it...

The material used in an LSA head is substantially harder than that used in the LS3 castings...

Thanks, and I'll be updating progress in my build thread as we go... .Good luck with whatever you finally settle on... It's going to be a beast regardless....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #37
1killer_SS

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

WOW! Very cool....
2012 1SS LS3 R1 Premiere cross drilled and slotted rotors / Hawk HPS pads / Vitesse Throttle controller, 25% SLP under drive pulley Car had full bolt-ons, however, at the moment the car is at santa's workshop getting getting remodded for an AGP Twin Turbo kit. 421WHP/401WTQ
1killer_SS is offline   Reply With Quote