Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
How do I tell which oil separator is installed?

Gents,

I bought my 1le with a few thousand miles on it. I hear about a stock seperator and one that came in the trunk. I don't know which the previous owner had installed.

How do I tell which is installed? Anyone have picks of the 2? Or are there identifying marks.

Also which one are you guys running and why? How did you choose?

Thanks for the help!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
sdmbdad71

Drives: 2013 VR 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
What you are writing about is one and the same. The one in the trunk is the stock separator. It is shipped in the trunk and is sometimes installed by the dealer. It is black plastic and mounts where the oil fill cap is on the passenger side of the engine. It sits above the engine cover.
sdmbdad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Msmall143

Thanks....any chance you could snap a pic and post?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post

Camaro 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit

The increased handling performance of the 2013 Camaro with the 1LE performance package can generate some off-road or track conditions where engine oil can be ingested into the air cleaner through the fresh air tube that connects the port within the right valve cover to the air cleaner. The Chevrolet Performance Positive Crankcase Vent (PCV) oil separator kit can improve this condition. It’s a standard part of the 1LE performance package.

The kit (part number 12653073) is included with other packaged components in the vehicle. It should not be installed during PDI at the dealership. The kit and instructions should be kept in the car. Owners are responsible for installing the oil separator in the car for track use.

The kit is designed for off-road or track use only. The production PCV system should be installed back on the vehicle when driving on public roads.

The kit is not designed for winter driving conditions (ambient temperature should be above 32° F, 0°C).

Kit Contents

The PCV oil separator kit includes:
• Main housing (Fig. 7, A)
• PCV cap/plug (Fig. 7, B)
• Connecting tube (Fig. 7, C)
• Instruction sheet

Fig 7

The kit instructions cover how to remove the PCV tube that features quick connect fittings (Fig. 8), installing the PCV cap/plug over the valve cover PCV port, and installing the PCV main housing in the oil fill neck in the valve cover. (Fig. 9)

Fig 8

Fig 9

For information about other available Chevrolet Performance parts, visit www.gmperformanceparts.com.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Msmall143

Thanks guys, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like mine is installed.

Now I need to find a catch can
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
We need a catch can too?
WTF?
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
We need a catch can too?
WTF?
Yes you do, the one coming from GM is the clean side can and only counts for less that 5% of the dirty oil that builds up in your intake. The catch can works on the dirty side and catches the other 95% of junk if you get a good one. Elite or Apex's cans work well.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
GM oil Seperator is 'supposedly' only for Track days/warm weather and needs to be removed when done.
I talked to my dealer about putting it on during PDI and they told me no - "if I leave it on all the time, and an engine/oil issue arises it may not be covered under warranty, as we did not follow the GM requirements"

Just what I was told - I know 90% of everyone on here leaves it on with no issues.
But if an issue arises, that will be the true test of GM warranty etc.
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
GM oil Seperator is 'supposedly' only for Track days/warm weather and needs to be removed when done.
I talked to my dealer about putting it on during PDI and they told me no - "if I leave it on all the time, and an engine/oil issue arises it may not be covered under warranty, as we did not follow the GM requirements"

Just what I was told - I know 90% of everyone on here leaves it on with no issues.
Prove I had it on........
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Thanks guys, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like mine is installed.

Now I need to find a catch can
Yep it's installed.

In the colder months catch cans tend to catch a lot of condensation. I would suggest removing the 1LE separator in the colder months simply to avoid this condensation being drained back into and contaminating the oil.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Yep it's installed.

In the colder months catch cans tend to catch a lot of condensation. I would suggest removing the 1LE separator in the colder months simply to avoid this condensation being drained back into and contaminating the oil.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Good to know, What am i replacing it with? Just a cap?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Msmall143

Quote:

The amount of warranty speculation on this site gets my panties in a bunch. Can I parallel park or does that void warranty.

The day GM voids warranty's for oil seperators is the same day i buy a ford! The cost of warranty coverage is well known by gm and even replacing an entire engine is a drop in the bucket to what they allocatote for warranty coverage.

They dont want to be known as a compnay that screws consumers on warranty issues.

My engine blew, sorry, cant cover that, we see you have installed a part WE GAVE YOU. That will be 10k out of pocket please!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
The amount of warranty speculation on this site gets my panties in a bunch. Can I parallel park or does that void warranty.

The day GM voids warranty's for oil seperators is the same day i buy a ford! The cost of warranty coverage is well known by gm and even replacing an entire engine is a drop in the bucket to what they allocatote for warranty coverage.

They dont want to be known as a compnay that screws consumers on warranty issues.

My engine blew, sorry, cant cover that, we see you have installed a part WE GAVE YOU. That will be 10k out of pocket please!

Again just the messenger....
But that part GM GAVE YOU also states CLEARLY do not use this part unless it is warm and at the track ONLY, remove it when not tracking(.)
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
MustbeaCamaro
MustbeaCamaro

Drives: "La Bamba" 2SS/RS Blue Ray Met 1LE
Quote:
Again just the messenger....
But that part GM GAVE YOU also states CLEARLY do not use this part unless it is warm and at the track ONLY, remove it when not tracking(.)
I have been on multiple threads on this and many have already had these oil separators pre installed when they picked up their 1LEs, just like mine was. I would be ticked if they voided my warranty on what they installed. No-one seems to have the straight scoop on this. I was thinking the cold weather (below freezing) thing is not an issue for me being in northern california, however what other damage can happen if I leave it on? I dont go to the track very often.

Ive been thinking about what I read on another thread, some say the gm oil separator is not offically certified by some agency to to be called part of a closed system in some states. My thats why GM insists we keep the original Oil cap on the system for road use? Does some one have a clear picture on this with regard to what is behind gm insisting we keep the original caps on (besides the cold weather thing)? Most Delearships dont seem to have a clue.
MustbeaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote