Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcynet View Post
Does That include a cold air intake?
you should be fine with intake. It would be tough to prove more air caused a major malfunction. But people have had issues.

You wont get a definitive answer on this cause it constantly debted. It warranties what you want, stock is your best option!

My opinion is that if you can afford major mods, you can afford some repairs. Anything that brakes should probably be upgraded anyways
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Holy hell the misinformation in here.

Bottom line is, to go fast you have to pay to play. One of those things is fixing the car yourself if it breaks. But, it won't. This is almost a bulletproof drivetrain. It will take what you throw at it for the most part. If you are running 700hp through the stock clutch, you shouldn't expect them to warranty it. Pay to play, but keep the peace of mind that this is a strong setup, and voiding drivetrain warranty is no big deal.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #31
Msmall143

I did a bit of research. Kooks now makes a set of green hi flow cats and long tube headers that does not need to be tune dr o prevent throwing codes. They're even EPA approved.

The idea is that with these you don't need a tune.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #32
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Holy hell the misinformation in here.

Bottom line is, to go fast you have to pay to play. One of those things is fixing the car yourself if it breaks. But, it won't. This is almost a bulletproof drivetrain. It will take what you throw at it for the most part. If you are running 700hp through the stock clutch, you shouldn't expect them to warranty it. Pay to play, but keep the peace of mind that this is a strong setup, and voiding drivetrain warranty is no big deal.
Completely agree man. And the nice thing about chevy's is they are a lot cheaper to fix than the imports should something go wrong
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #33
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'm no tuner...so take my comments for what they're worth.

It is recommended. But I know a few who have the intake/header combo without a tune with much success. The only real downside...is sometimes bad O2 readings, and therefore trouble codes.

The intake/header combination improves the pumping efficiency of the engine drastically over OE, and leaves some power on the table with regards to tuning to take advantage of this new "breathing efficiency".

If memory serves...it's about right for people to see gains of between 30 and 40 rwhp with intake/headers & no-tune, depending on the products....and in between 50-65 rwhp with the same products and a good tune. Could be off just a little bit.
In the old days of cars with carbs, it was absolutely necessary to re-jet the carb to compensate for the lower backpressure and ensuing lean condition.

Normally, exhaust system/size was changed to let the headers function as they were designed to. Good mufflers and 2.5 - 3" exhaust pipes for small block street motors and 3 - 4" exhaust for big block motors.

The norm was a 1 or 2 jet size increase on the primary side and a 2 or 3 jet size on the secondary side (if using a 1 carb setup)

The 'putters in modern vehicles allow someone in Miami, Florida , to drive up to Pike's Peak (about 10,000 ft elevation) without adjustment. That capability SHOULD allow you to install a cat-back system and CAI without ANY issue. The headers may require a dyno experienced mechanic who has experience with the mods you want.

Header don't cost $165 anymore and you can't get the local muffler shop to install full-length 3" pipe and mufflers for $500. To install the $800 tubes is pointless without free-flowing cats (an X pipe - which I never really understood a purpose for) big diameter pipes and good mufflers. THAT WILL require a tune as you leaned it far beyond what the 'puter can handle (especially at WOT, the thing that makes lean motors go boom).

Get a cat-back system, it will sound good, The CAI will help it breath and be more efficient. Save your money and BUY but not install the rest of the exhaust. Cate to headers will cost you $400 - $500 more in 3 years. Buy it and store it. Then get the cam and the good 1:6 roller rockers if the cam requires it. When the time comes, your car that SOUNDED good and was very efficient will roar to life with 535 - 565 BHP. Being a manual tranny, the 1LE should put out 470 - 520 RWHP - that's an 11 second car with drag radials. A milder roadrace cam (the small BHP figures) should STILL allow you to run 11s and be a Z28 terrorizer.

Hit the lotto and a Lingenfelter 800HP huffer motor, along with brake and suspension/chassis upgrades will have you spending too much lotto money on legal fees.

Mega-power on the street is a hoot. I drove a friend's Lamborghini Miura to my high school prom. From 1980 -1983 while working at a resort for the richest of the self-made rich, North Key Largo's Ocean Reef Club, I got to drive Stutz Bearcats (not a supercar...but coooool), an older right-hand drive Bentley convertible, and my FAVORITE car I've ever driven...a new Maserati Quattroporte. That powerhouse work of art put the fear of God in me (and I was not even stoned.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I did a bit of research. Kooks now makes a set of green hi flow cats and long tube headers that does not need to be tune dr o prevent throwing codes. They're even EPA approved.

The idea is that with these you don't need a tune.
Those green cats are very expensive. $1,000 versus $400 for the standard cats. And I am not certain, but I think those cats are throwing codes too on 2013s. (edit: although I read a post that said this I have not confirmed.) You can't get around the fact that LTs push the rear O2 sensors too far back to work. Somehow Kooks says they did it. I have the standard Kooks high flow cats. I get CELs, I read the codes and turn them off. No big deal.

I think most people who add LTs don't care about the warranty. And with LTs without a tune you are voiding all of the emissions warranty.

Last edited by Fraxum; 11-21-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Those green cats are very expensive. $1,000 versus $400 for the standard cats. And I am not certain, but I think those cats are throwing codes too on 2013s. (edit: although I read a post that said this I have not confirmed.) You can't get around the fact that LTs push the rear O2 sensors too far back to work. Somehow Kooks says they did it. I have the standard Kooks high flow cats. I get CELs, I read the codes and turn them off. No big deal.

I think most people who add LTs don't care about the warranty. And with LTs without a tune you are voiding all of the emissions warranty.
Yea, they cost more. I was quoted $1650 for kooks with hi-flow green cats. I've yet to see them throw codes. It's not the location of the o2 sensors, it's what it's reading. Hence the codes. The green cats are more efficient which keeps what the o2 sensors read within normal range.

I think most with lt's don't care about warranty because they didn't have to tune. Had to tune to stop cel. Hopefully this is an alternative that want the best if both worlds.

I can see how long tubes void emmisions parts warranty. But this are the items I care about. I'm worried about engine and trans and some suspension.

I'll probably ultimata lily tune, but this is a good way to get around the cel issue as a reason you must tune
Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #36
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Personally I never played with NOS but could you not bolt up a simple NOS setup and use it on demand? Sure you would not want to do 125hp shot but 75hp should be doable without a tune. Just need to remove every trace of the setup before taking it to the dealer.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Yea, they cost more. I was quoted $1650 for kooks with hi-flow green cats. I've yet to see them throw codes. It's not the location of the o2 sensors, it's what it's reading. Hence the codes. The green cats are more efficient which keeps what the o2 sensors read within normal range.

I think most with lt's don't care about warranty because they didn't have to tune. Had to tune to stop cel. Hopefully this is an alternative that want the best if both worlds.

I can see how long tubes void emmisions parts warranty. But this are the items I care about. I'm worried about engine and trans and some suspension.

I'll probably ultimata lily tune, but this is a good way to get around the cel issue as a reason you must tune
Msmall143 is right, I cannot find any confirmation so far about Kooks Green cats throwing codes. We are both on a thread in the bolt on section. If you know something on the topic or are interested find more info here. A Kooks rep is posting on the thread. I think my knowledge is limited to urban legends.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329314