Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Normal - just the 1LE talking to you
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Normal.

It t'aint a Beemer.
Lol
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #17
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I got to say I love how people diagnose these issues over the net. All the "it's normal" responses crack me up. You haven't heard it or seen it? Driveline slop is normal, but you can't determine it's slop based off the description he gave. Wrenches banging together!

Get it to a tech you trust that's willing to spend some TIME with it. If he says its normal then you're good.

Driveline slop doesn't sound like wrenches and the bigger concern is your hearing it at higher gears. At 10 mph if you're off throttle and clutch released you're lugging it bit.

Last edited by Msmall143; 11-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I got to say I love how people diagnose these issues over the net. All the "it's normal" responses crack me up. You haven't heard it or seen it? Driveline slop is normal, but you can't determine it's slop based off the description he gave. Wrenches banging together!

Get it to a tech you trust that's willing to spend some TIME with it. If he says its normal then you're good.

Driveline slip doesn't sound like wrenches and the bigger concern is your hearing it at hire gears. At 10 mph if you're off throttle and clutch released you're lugging it bit.
I get what you're saying, but at the same time one person's description of "banging wrenches" isn't the same as the next guy's.

I've had three vehicles with the T56 in the last 10 years (Vette, GTO and the Camaro) and they all sound the same.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Camaro Dude

1LE DOES emit tranny bearing rattle sounds in neutral without clutch pedal in, and yes, there are some minor clanking sounds if you are shifting from 1st to
2nd in a manner that is undesirable to the 1LE's tastes. That said, I've never heard any clanking or slop type of sounds shifting into gears higher than 2nd.

That brutal hill hold function certainly doesn't help out at all when navigating slowly up a driveway, etc. I get most of that aforementioned clanking either as I'm slowing down to a stop sign and press the clutch pedal in right before the stop sign, and when slowly pulling up my slight incline driveway. Ditto if I must reverse up the incline in a stop and go fashion.

At least our 1LE's don't suffer from that 2nd gear grind many of the earlier SS owners reported on this forum.

Switched out to RedLine ATF, I THINK it's better, but alas car has been put away for winter, still need more data before conclusion is reached.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
IMHO, the manual transmission from inside the car sounds like a semi tractor trailer truck in 1st and 2nd gear.
In neutral at a stop it sounds like the clutch spinning because it stops when u press the clutch all the way down.
Yep, drive line SLOP made in MExico.
Unfortunately this is the case.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #21
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I get what you're saying, but at the same time one person's description of "banging wrenches" isn't the same as the next guy's.

I've had three vehicles with the T56 in the last 10 years (Vette, GTO and the Camaro) and they all sound the same.
Same here, if you were driving around in a Honda Civic with a six-speed or this were your first manual tranny in a Chevy then I would be concerned but after owning various modesl from 1991 vette, 2002 Z06, and now the 1LE Camaro it is just how they build them, noisy. They say it's "heavy duty" and I am sure it is designed to handle the larger amount of torque from our engines but they should refine this tranny a little more. They have been this way since my 1991 vette.

I wonder if the Tremec manual transmissions sound the same in the Dodge Challengers or if they do anything extra to refine them a bit.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Same here, if you were driving around in a Honda Civic with a six-speed or this were your first manual tranny in a Chevy then I would be concerned but after owning various modesl from 1991 vette, 2002 Z06, and now the 1LE Camaro it is just how they build them, noisy. They say it's "heavy duty" and I am sure it is designed to handle the larger amount of torque from our engines but they should refine this tranny a little more. They have been this way since my 1991 vette.

I wonder if the Tremec manual transmissions sound the same in the Dodge Challengers or if they do anything extra to refine them a bit.
I doubt it. They're pretty much the same in the Challenger, Vette, and Viper. The T56 was even worse. In the 6060, you can at least avoid it by being a tad smoother.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Vbh_1LE

Drives: Victory Red 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I have the same issue with my car. I put it on a lift and checked everything out. If I rotate (spin) the drive shaft back and forth by hand you can see that it's slop in the driveline.
Vbh_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:

Driveline slop doesn't sound like wrenches and the bigger concern is your hearing it at higher gears. At 10 mph if you're off throttle and clutch released you're lugging it bit.
Thank you. A voice of reason.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #25
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:

I think people are saying theirs make a similar noise. Mine does too. You have to really finesse it to prevent it.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #26
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
American manual versus the rest of the worlds manual transmission....
1) Germany
2) Japan
10) USA
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
Camaro Dude

Quote:
1) Germany
2) Japan
10) USA
The Camaro is my first American car ever (not counting the wife's car).

Prior to joining in here, I was BMW most of my life with a brief Porsche stint and VW.

I can only say that the "Getrag rattle" in bmw's was well known, especially in their M models.

Seems with my experience, anything high performance equates to a not so buttery smooth sounding experience tranny wise.

Unless you go Lexus or Acura, but that's going sterile if you ask me .
Old 11-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
1) Germany
2) Japan
10) USA
Corvettes (other than autos), Vipers, Challengers, and the GT500 all have variations of the 6060, which are designed and built by a Mexican company, Tremec. You even stated yourself that it's "Mexican Slop". So to attribute a poor trans design to the USA in this case isn't exactly correct. With that said, Tremecs, are known for being relatively tough transmissions.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote