Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
No Spare tire?

I am preparing my 1LE to take on a road trip to see my family for thanksgiving. I went to check the air pressure in the spare and realized I don't have one. Is this normal for 1LE's? IF so, what do people do?
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I believe all of the V8 models have no spare tire since they wont clear the larger brake calipers. There is a company called Performance Spare www.performancespare.com that sells spare tire kits with a spacer and jack that will clear the brake calipers on these cars. It was one of the first things I ordered while I was waiting for my car to be delivered.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
No spare, tire inflator kit.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 11-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Normal
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
So if your on a long trip at night in the middle of no where, what would you do if you got a flat?
Old 11-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
So if your on a long trip at night in the middle of no where, what would you do if you got a flat?
Tire inflator kit or call road side service.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 11-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
I am preparing my 1LE to take on a road trip to see my family for thanksgiving. I went to check the air pressure in the spare and realized I don't have one. Is this normal for 1LE's? IF so, what do people do?
I don't have a 1LE but if I did I would do the same thing that I have already done. I carry a full size stock spare tire and wheel in the trunk along with the hardware to jack the car up and replace a damaged tire/wheel, and be on my way. The thought of being stuck somewhere because I don't have a spare really bothers me. If it were to happen, that a person without a spare had to be towed because the wheel/tire was damaged beyond using the sealant kit. There may be big delays in finding a tire and or wheel to get you back on the road. So a flat tire could turn into a few days of waiting. I can't do it. Got to have a spare, but that's just me.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I plan on keeping a stock rear SS wheel with a used tire on it to bring on road trips. When I'm local I'll just leave it at home. Someone can always run it to me. Not going to catch me depending on road side assistance just to be looking for a 285/35 at Jim Bobs tire in BFE.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
I don't have a 1LE but if I did I would do the same thing that I have already done. I carry a full size stock spare tire and wheel in the trunk along with the hardware to jack the car up and replace a damaged tire/wheel, and be on my way. The thought of being stuck somewhere because I don't have a spare really bothers me. If it were to happen, that a person without a spare had to be towed because the wheel/tire was damaged beyond using the sealant kit. There may be big delays in finding a tire and or wheel to get you back on the road. So a flat tire could turn into a few days of waiting. I can't do it. Got to have a spare, but that's just me.
GMTool,

My thoughts almost exactly. I bought a spare set of stock midnight silver wheels for cheap and I intend to use one in the trunk for trips. My only quandry that I haven't been able to get an answer in Camaro5 is which wheel will work on all corners of an SS. Will a front rim work on the rear, and if not, will a rear wheel work on the front? What's your solution?

Especially with my 1LE taking 285s, the chance of finding a replacement tire while out on the highway is remote. I ordered two spare Goodyear F1s for my 1LE right after buying it to store in the garage and it took a week to get them ordered in from some remote warehouse.

Thanks,

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
I plan on keeping a stock rear SS wheel with a used tire on it to bring on road trips. When I'm local I'll just leave it at home. Someone can always run it to me. Not going to catch me depending on road side assistance just to be looking for a 285/35 at Jim Bobs tire in BFE.

SimpleGreen,

So it's the rear rim/tire that will work on all corners of an SS? My plan is to do the same thing as you for trips out-of-town.

Thanks,

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

No Spare tire?

Delete.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
SimpleGreen,

So it's the rear rim/tire that will work on all corners of an SS? My plan is to do the same thing as you for trips out-of-town.

Thanks,

Tara
Yes it will.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I believe all of the V8 models have no spare tire since they wont clear the larger brake calipers. There is a company called Performance Spare www.performancespare.com that sells spare tire kits with a spacer and jack that will clear the brake calipers on these cars. It was one of the first things I ordered while I was waiting for my car to be delivered.
Fits over the battery with everything OK?
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I bought the performance spare kit a couple of months ago. No complaints and it fits perfectly in the spare wheel well above the battery.
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote