Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #57
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
I don't really understand the appeal of carbon fiber. To me it is just plan ugly. It is really going to date the cars once it goes out of style... and it will go out of style and many will wonder why they ever thought it was cool.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #58
Memaat
Proud Dad of 3 Kids

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM w/Red Stripes, Opt Fangs
Yeah, but this one is an overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagitsune View Post
I was JUST thinking about this yesterday! Of course someone would go and do it already, nice!!

It would be nice if Chevy did something like this from the factory, but an actual carbon fiber roof to lower the center of gravity/reduce weight. (ala the Mitsubishi Evo IX)
I just don't see it.

Living Life
Memaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:17 AM   #59
camaro_eddie
Boomer Sooner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
[QUOTE=SS Mike;1092025]Just got my car back from paint where I was having the carbon fiber roof clear coated. It came out beautifully!!! Carbon By Design laid the carbon fiber for me, and as always it looks perfect!!! Check it out.......

is that overlay from their cosmetic line? how exactly is that applied and was clearing over it necessary?

looks awesome
camaro_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #60
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Looks good
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #61
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
I don't really understand the appeal of carbon fiber. To me it is just plan ugly. It is really going to date the cars once it goes out of style... and it will go out of style and many will wonder why they ever thought it was cool.
+1 (Probably thought up by the same group who thought Wood grain panels would look good on the side of vans/station wagons!)
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #62
HotRodPilot

Drives: 1999 Suzuki Wagon R
The new century of Landau tops
HotRodPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #63
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Damron View Post
Did I miss the boat on this one? I can see the book value shoot down the toilet.

This is my humble opinion, which is always open and subject to change.
Of course the "book" value may change due to this mod, but I really don't care about that for a couple reasons:

1.) I plan to keep this car forever

2.) If for some reason I do decide to sell the car, I don't see this making the rice go up OR down, considering all the compliments I get on a daily basis from people when they notice it

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate you voicing it, but my opinion is that this is a cosmetic mod that I've wanted to do since the day I ordered the car. It's for looks, I think it looks damn good, and I'm one of only a handful of Camaro's that has it done so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybyram View Post
Love the CF roof SSmike! Looks great! I do have a question, Im thinking of the temperatures or thermal cycling that the hood as well as the roof,trunk go thru. How will this react to repeated thermal cycling over time? Also were any steps taken for UV protection, as UV radiation breaks CF down?
Thank you very much. Of course heat and cold will affect the cf components, usually not in a good way. The trunk and hood seem to have the most issues and they're minimal to say the least, but I do notice that sometimes the fit is perfect, then on a hot day, or a cold night, the fitment will be off slightly. This will happen no matter what, but none of the products are compromised in any way due to this.

As for the roof, it doesn't flex like that because it is laid on the stock roof itself, and has that for support. Carbon by Design applies UV protection in their gelcoat for all their products to protect them from sunlight in everyday situations. The roof does not have this because they did not do the finishing clearcoat on it, the simply laid the carbon fiber on the roof for me. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
Out of style, I wonder when that will be, I guess we'll have to wait until Formula 1, and every other race series decides that Carbon Fiber isn't "cool" anymore.

The thing people seem to forget is that you can paint carbon fiber easily. I just chose not to because apparently I LIKE the way carbon fiber looks in it's natural state, and so do a lot of other people, including the judges at the shows I compete (and win) in.

[QUOTE=camaro_eddie;1324510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
Just got my car back from paint where I was having the carbon fiber roof clear coated. It came out beautifully!!! Carbon By Design laid the carbon fiber for me, and as always it looks perfect!!! Check it out.......

is that overlay from their cosmetic line? how exactly is that applied and was clearing over it necessary?

looks awesome
This is just a service they can do on the side. It's not a specific product as in it's not pre cut and pre made. It's laid and cut on the customer's car as needed. They do this in house. Yes clear coating was necessary as the carbon fiber when laid on the roof (with the resin in it) dries very rough to the touch and with no protection from the elements. I wish I had a closeup to show you a before clearcoat and after, but I don't, sorry. The clearcoat not only protects the carbon fiber from the elements, but it also really brings out the look and depth of the carbon fiber.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #64
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagitsune View Post
I was JUST thinking about this yesterday! Of course someone would go and do it already, nice!!

It would be nice if Chevy did something like this from the factory, but an actual carbon fiber roof to lower the center of gravity/reduce weight. (ala the Mitsubishi Evo IX)
Agreed, it would be nice if the roof came cf from the factory, of course you know how much more costly that would make the car. I am in the process of working on a replacement cf roof with a shop. When it is completed I will be sure to come on here and let everyone know

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #65
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
I can't say that it's for me, but as they say "different strokes for different folks"!
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #66
Memaat
Proud Dad of 3 Kids

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM w/Red Stripes, Opt Fangs
Nothing personal

[QUOTE=SS Mike;1325086]Of course the "book" value may change due to this mod, but I really don't care about that for a couple reasons:

1.) I plan to keep this car forever

2.) If for some reason I do decide to sell the car, I don't see this making the rice go up OR down, considering all the compliments I get on a daily basis from people when they notice it

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate you voicing it, but my opinion is that this is a cosmetic mod that I've wanted to do since the day I ordered the car. It's for looks, I think it looks damn good, and I'm one of only a handful of Camaro's that has it done so far

Thank you very much. Of course heat and cold will affect the cf components, usually not in a good way. The trunk and hood seem to have the most issues and they're minimal to say the least, but I do notice that sometimes the fit is perfect, then on a hot day, or a cold night, the fitment will be off slightly. This will happen no matter what, but none of the products are compromised in any way due to this.

As for the roof, it doesn't flex like that because it is laid on the stock roof itself, and has that for support. Carbon by Design applies UV protection in their gelcoat for all their products to protect them from sunlight in everyday situations. The roof does not have this because they did not do the finishing clearcoat on it, the simply laid the carbon fiber on the roof for me. Hope this helps.

Out of style, I wonder when that will be, I guess we'll have to wait until Formula 1, and every other race series decides that Carbon Fiber isn't "cool" anymore.

The thing people seem to forget is that you can paint carbon fiber easily. I just chose not to because apparently I LIKE the way carbon fiber looks in it's natural state, and so do a lot of other people, including the judges at the shows I compete (and win) in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_eddie View Post

This is just a service they can do on the side. It's not a specific product as in it's not pre cut and pre made. It's laid and cut on the customer's car as needed. They do this in house. Yes clear coating was necessary as the carbon fiber when laid on the roof (with the resin in it) dries very rough to the touch and with no protection from the elements. I wish I had a closeup to show you a before clearcoat and after, but I don't, sorry. The clearcoat not only protects the carbon fiber from the elements, but it also really brings out the look and depth of the carbon fiber.
I guess you could look at it the same as when the vinyl roofs hit the market in the early 1970's. Good luck Mike.

Living Life
Memaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #67
JBAGREG
Account Suspended

Drives: JBA SUPERSPORT 2SS/RS Vortech Blown
Let me add another perspective to the debate.

The JBA Super Sport also has the Carbon Fiber roof inlay feature.
As a Matter of fact, it was the very first Camaro that Carbon By Design did.
This technique used is a great one if this is on your Mod list.

The JBA Super Sport is a CGM car. We opted for the inlay as a result of our SEMA
build plan. We very much intended a Monochromatic Subtle look. Adding a Carbon
inlay to a Cyber Grey Metallic car worked for our build due to the color of CF and
the CGM color being so close in value. As a matter of fact, very few people even
see the inlay until the walk up next to the car.

We also did an inlay on the front bumper lip and in the scoop.

Up close it is quite nice, but you have to be committed to the look.
We also have the option to mask off and continue the SS stripes over
the roof.
JBAGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #68
Akagitsune

Drives: None currently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
Agreed, it would be nice if the roof came cf from the factory, of course you know how much more costly that would make the car. I am in the process of working on a replacement cf roof with a shop. When it is completed I will be sure to come on here and let everyone know
Cool man, keep us updated!
Akagitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #69
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
did carbon by design do stripes on they jba camaro also?
dr damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #70
carbonbydesign

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr damon View Post
did carbon by design do stripes on they jba camaro also?
The JBA Camaro has all of our stuff on it. JBA just painted the trunk and hood and left the stripes in carbon.

Travis
760-643-1300
carbonbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote