Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
advice from 2nd gen guys?

Hey guys! So im very seriously thinking about getting a late 2nd gen in a few months. In my price range, the car wont be perfect, but im also not looking for a project, as i already have that with my 3rd gen. Ive been looking around, and ive found a few in my price range. Because of my low-ish price, ive noticed that the ones i can afford are either original(but well cared for) engines with great exteriors/interiors, or built up engines with mediocre interiors/exteriors. If i can find one with a built engine in it, thats awesome. But im much more worried with how the car looks. The car is mostly for cruising around! I do want a v8, but im not as concerned with if its super custom or not. But i just had some questions for the 2nd gen guys! Is the 305 really as bad as ive read, or is that just talk? how much better was the 350 than the 305? i know that neither was high in power, but if i find a nice car with the 305, should i skip it and hold out for a 350? I want something with at least a little bit of power. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
2nd/5th Gen

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
Stay away from the 305.....it's worse than a 307.
How late of a second gen are you looking for? That will determine pricing. As a long time second gen owner, only the early one appeals to me. However the 78-81 Z28 is a nice car, and most came with 350 , but automatic. Keep looking but down here a really nice car show quality one runs around 8k. Avoid the 74-77 models as the front and rear bumpers make me wanna puke. A great resource will be nastyz28.com
Happy hunting.

"If there's a new way, I'd be the first in line, but it better work this time"
2nd/5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd/5th Gen View Post
Stay away from the 305.....it's worse than a 307.
How late of a second gen are you looking for? That will determine pricing. As a long time second gen owner, only the early one appeals to me. However the 78-81 Z28 is a nice car, and most came with 350 , but automatic. Keep looking but down here a really nice car show quality one runs around 8k. Avoid the 74-77 models as the front and rear bumpers make me wanna puke. A great resource will be nastyz28.com
Happy hunting.
im looking for a 78-81, i know the bumpers of the middle 2nd gens are pretty bad lol. Not really looking for "show quality", just something cool to cruise around in. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Buy one that has a solid body and have it painted Would be my suggestion. I found my t/a for 4k with a running motor and new interior(was a Pontiac man long before a Chevy one). There are deals out there for the second gen f body's just gotta look harder now days as the price on them has gone up a good bit in the last couple years.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
2nd/5th Gen

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
Check for rust on the passenger side floor
They are known for heater core puking and rust issues.

"If there's a new way, I'd be the first in line, but it better work this time"
2nd/5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd/5th Gen View Post
Check for rust on the passenger side floor
They are known for heater core puking and rust issues.
I definitely will keep an eye out for it, thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
74 Camaro C-2

Drives: '74 Camaro 383 Stroker 4-Speed
No need to be hating on the '74-'77 cars! They can look cool too guys

In all seriousness though, if you're looking for a late second gen you can find some great deals on those cars right now. If you do look at the '74-'77 cars there are also some good deals on those. Here's a quick checklist that I used when buying my car.

- Sub frame condition. (this is hard to replace, so try to find a car with a rust free sub frame)
- Have any body panels been replaced?
- Bondo used?
- Engine condition. (rebuild, original, mileage?)
- Paint quality
- Interior quality (replaced, redyed?)
- How well does is drive?
- Has it been taken care of?
- Take a step back and look at the overall quality of the car. You can see clear signs of previous wrecks sometimes by off-aligned body panels. Look at the interior, see if you can see spots of and previous colors. Dye can wear off sometimes and your interior will be multicolored.

There's my advice! Check out nastyz28.com; it's the best 2nd gen site out there by all means.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 Camaro C-2 View Post
No need to be hating on the '74-'77 cars! They can look cool too guys

In all seriousness though, if you're looking for a late second gen you can find some great deals on those cars right now. If you do look at the '74-'77 cars there are also some good deals on those. Here's a quick checklist that I used when buying my car.

- Sub frame condition. (this is hard to replace, so try to find a car with a rust free sub frame)
- Have any body panels been replaced?
- Bondo used?
- Engine condition. (rebuild, original, mileage?)
- Paint quality
- Interior quality (replaced, redyed?)
- How well does is drive?
- Has it been taken care of?
- Take a step back and look at the overall quality of the car. You can see clear signs of previous wrecks sometimes by off-aligned body panels. Look at the interior, see if you can see spots of and previous colors. Dye can wear off sometimes and your interior will be multicolored.

There's my advice! Check out nastyz28.com; it's the best 2nd gen site out there by all means.
I agree with this guy
But what he said is spot on, make sure there is not very much rust, as well as make sure the trim is in good shape its getting hard to find but it usually keeps its condition for a LONG time so it can usually be polished. I will say dont be scared if body panels dont line up perfectly. They wont, but at least make sure the owner tried to line them up at least.
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote