Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
It just sounds wrong to compare a taurus to a camaro SS. you could put a blown 454 in the taurus and it would STILL sound funny to compare the 2, just because its a taurus
Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah it is kinda an odd combo, but I remember my 91 SHO, and DAMN that thing hauled. Was a blast to drive.

I do believe the better comparison is the G8 GXP to the SHO....
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
This is a joke. Ford, if GM can't move the rwd G8, nobody is paying 38k for a Taurus.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #18
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
i think they should have given it a different name. even pinto would have been better,
Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
i wonder how my v6 with CAI and exhausts would do against wone of these.
Could you imagine ford made this their base engine for the mustang?!
Would be cool but i think they are planning to swap it with the v8 eventually, those were the rumors a while ago.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #20
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
This is a joke. Ford, if GM can't move the rwd G8, nobody is paying 38k for a Taurus.
If dodge can do it why can't ford, I read the G8 rebadging thread

Compared to the charger, I don't know why the G8's are not selling ...

anyway ... the charger has 2 more horses ... and should have more torque and the RWD version .... charger should bet it

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon

Last edited by Muscle Master; 04-30-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #21
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
[QUOTE=Muscle Master;445719]If dodge can do it why can't ford, I read the G8 rebadging thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master
Compared to the charger, I don't know why the G8's are not selling ...
My guess(es)?
1: Boring exterior. If Honda made a rwd Accord with a twin nostril grille it would likely look a lot like the G8.
2: Blurs the line between full size and mid size too well for it's own good. The G8 offers the room of a full size car in a vehicle which looks and feels like a mid-size sedan. The problem with that? Costs are more akin to what people expect from a full size domestic offering and that isn't good. If you are going to ask full-size money you had better bring some full size cachet.
3: That arrowhead on the grille isn't doing the car any favors.
4: The name G8 means absolutely nothing to anybody. Maxima, Charger, 300 all those names bring something extra to the table...... say G8 and the screen goes blank. For all the damage Ford has done to the moniker even Taurus is far and away a better choice. (thought Galaxie would have been a much better choice)Seriously, this may be the worst naming scheme in the automotive world right now.

With the G8 the basic car is all GM actually got right and if this car has taught us anything it should be that the devil is in the details.

The Taurus is too much money in SHO trim IMHO, but the lineup as a whole, and the SHO in particular, will have no problem outselling the G8.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post

My guess(es)?
1: Boring exterior. If Honda made a rwd Accord with a twin nostril grille it would likely look a lot like the G8.
Umm..no. It would look like an ugly, awkward angled, riced up Honda Accord.

How can you honestly call this "boring"??:

Quote:
2: Blurs the line between full size and mid size too well for it's own good. The G8 offers the room of a full size car in a vehicle which looks and feels like a mid-size sedan. The problem with that? Costs are more akin to what people expect from a full size domestic offering and that isn't good. If you are going to ask full-size money you had better bring some full size cachet.
The car sure as hell doesn't look small. The Malibu is midsize. The G8 is fullsize, and it looks the part. I don't know what G8 you've been looking at.

Quote:
3: That arrowhead on the grille isn't doing the car any favors.
4: The name G8 means absolutely nothing to anybody. Maxima, Charger, 300 all those names bring something extra to the table...... say G8 and the screen goes blank. For all the damage Ford has done to the moniker even Taurus is far and away a better choice. (thought Galaxie would have been a much better choice)Seriously, this may be the worst naming scheme in the automotive world right now
Maxima?? I hope you're kidding. The Maxima name is about as valuable as the the Pinto name, both are a joke in terms of performance and reliability.

I don't see anything wrong with G8. I like real car names better than letter/number combos, but it works for BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, and Cadillac, so it can't be all that bad.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
Yeah it is kinda an odd combo, but I remember my 91 SHO, and DAMN that thing hauled. Was a blast to drive.

I do believe the better comparison is the G8 GXP to the SHO....
I would say the G8 GT or Charger RT, Ford is carving a slightly seperate niche for themselves with the AWD though.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Think of the SHO as more of an audi S6 for cheap or a larger S4 for cheap. Would compete with an AWD Charger although you can probably easily mod this to over 400hp for a small amount of cash if BMW's TT6 is any indication.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
syr74
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=Wesman;446499]Umm..no. It would look like an ugly, awkward angled, riced up Honda Accord.
How can you honestly call this "boring"??:[\Quote]

I appreciate that I am on a GM website and that GM enthusiasts want to defend their on. But, when it comes to styling, I am genuinely amazed at the sheer amount of defense folks will mount on behalf of the G8.

The car isn't ugly, but it is about as far away from exciting as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman
The car sure as hell doesn't look small. The Malibu is midsize. The G8 is fullsize, and it looks the part. I don't know what G8 you've been looking at.
No, love it or hate it the Chrysler 300 looks like a proper full size car, the G8 just doesn't give off the feeling of size or panache that a full size car of this ilk must have to make it. Like I said, looks more like a rwd counterpart to the latest Honda Accord than a serious jab into the segment the 300 re-awakened.

Quote:
Maxima?? I hope you're kidding. The Maxima name is about as valuable as the the Pinto name, both are a joke in terms of performance and reliability.
Really? In the automotive world perception counts and the Maxima name has a fan-base. Don't believe me? Tell me again, which sells better?

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with G8.
Have you taken a gander at sales figures lately? G8 is one of the newest offerings in it's class and is very competitively priced even without rebates. G8 also offers the best power to weight ratio for the money in that same class and has a deceptively huge interior, and yet it still is one of the slowest selling offerings in the segment.

Something is wrong, no doubt about it.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Wesman

Quote:

The car isn't ugly, but it is about as far away from exciting as you can get.
Whatever, you can't help the blind. Its a damn good looking sports sedan. its styling is suble, like the BMW M5, which is a good thing. It doesn't have any over-the-top ricer add ons like the Mitsu Evo and WRX STI, its just a nice looking car.

Quote:
No, love it or hate it the Chrysler 300 looks like a proper full size car, the G8 just doesn't give off the feeling of size or panache that a full size car of this ilk must have to make it. Like I said, looks more like a rwd counterpart to the latest Honda Accord than a serious jab into the segment the 300 re-awakened.
It looks nothing like a Honda Accord. But once again, whatever.

Quote:
Really? In the automotive world perception counts and the Maxima name has a fan-base. Don't believe me? Tell me again, which sells better?
The G8 has been out for a couple years. The Maxima has been out for around 20 years. I wonder which has sold better?? Use some common sense.

When most people, myself included, think of Maxima, this is what comes to mind:

A boxy, FWD pile of crap.

Quote:
Have you taken a gander at sales figures lately? G8 is one of the newest offerings in it's class and is very competitively priced even without rebates. G8 also offers the best power to weight ratio for the money in that same class and has a deceptively huge interior, and yet it still is one of the slowest selling offerings in the segment.

Something is wrong, no doubt about it.
Have you taken notice of the recent economic crisis?? Perhaps that has something to do with people not feeling comfortable buying a $35,000 V8 RWD car, regardless of how nice it is or how much they'd like to buy it?? Yea, I think that may have something to do with it
Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Whatever, you can't help the blind. Its a damn good looking sports sedan. its styling is suble, like the BMW M5, which is a good thing. It doesn't have any over-the-top ricer add ons like the Mitsu Evo and WRX STI, its just a nice looking car.
A Presidential Blue 67 Mustang fastback is 'subtle', a Pontiac G8 is pure banality. Seems the buying public would agree.

Quote:
It looks nothing like a Honda Accord. But once again, whatever.
Looks like a 5/4ths scale 98 Honda Accord rebadged as a Pontiac.

Quote:
The G8 has been out for a couple years. The Maxima has been out for around 20 years. I wonder which has sold better?? Use some common sense.
Now age sells cars. By chance is your name Wagoner? Maxima sells better because it is perceived by the majority of consumers to be a better car. Can Maxima get away with more because of the cars history? Of course, but Nissan worked for that recognition. Don't blame Nissan because GM can't figure out how to market a vehicle.

Quote:
When most people, myself included, think of Maxima, this is what comes to mind. A boxy, FWD pile of crap.
In good shape, that is so much more attractive than the G8 it shouldn't be legal....and I don't even particularly like Nissans!

Quote:
Have you taken notice of the recent economic crisis?? Perhaps that has something to do with people not feeling comfortable buying a $35,000 V8 RWD car, regardless of how nice it is or how much they'd like to buy it?? Yea, I think that may have something to do with it
That reasoning would work just fine, but for the fact that everybody else competing within this segment is selling more cars than GM is, and at competitive prices. Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger divide up Chrysler sales in this segment, but they still absolutely beat on the G8 in terms of sales, and do so individually, despite being noticeably older designs and not nearly as good dynamically.

So Batman, riddle me this is all due to the economy why is GM's sole offering in this segment the one scraping the bottom of the barrel?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #28
Wesman

Quote:

In good shape, that is so much more attractive than the G8 it shouldn't be legal....and I don't even particularly like Nissans!
After a completely assinine statement like that, I'm not even going to waste my time reponding to the rest of your worthless and ignorant post.

Obviously you're a fanboy with your head up your ass, and nobodys going to change that.