Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Actually MTI Racing makes a Bilstein coilover for the 2010+ camaro.
Now that is cool to know. If only people know how good monotubes really are. Not too much people know about them as I see most people getting coilovers which are basically adjustable twin tubes. Thanks for that info.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #30
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Check this out and decide folks. You'll get a better understanding. A video is worth a million words.

That's what I hate about KW coilovers, they don't sell monotube coilovers until you get their race bred sets for like $8000 or so, their V3s are twin tube. Bilstein has their PSS 10s in the works but not released yet. Actually Eibach R1s and R2s are monotubes and are nitrogen filled.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #31
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
That's what I hate about KW coilovers, they don't sell monotube coilovers until you get their race bred sets for like $8000 or so, their V3s are twin tube. Bilstein has their PSS 10s in the works but not released yet. Actually Eibach R1s and R2s are monotubes and are nitrogen filled.
I just looked it up...the R1 and R2s are over 2K and 3K. Great for racing, but I was hoping for just replacement sets. Cost effective for those that just want a little performance, but then again, performance comes at a price.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I love my pedders xa monotube coilovers. I do not know what damping setting would be close to the 1LE but i would like to know so i can test the stiffness. I know it will not be an exact match but i am just curious.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
DanSS24

I'm finding that lots of manufacturers are producing montotube coilovers, which is a good thing for the all out performance and racing, but i'm wondering about those that just want a little bit more performance, without spending thousands. I guess OE replacement twin tubes are good enough, but I wish there were more options other than coilovers.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
I'm finding that lots of manufacturers are producing montotube coilovers, which is a good thing for the all out performance and racing, but i'm wondering about those that just want a little bit more performance, without spending thousands. I guess OE replacement twin tubes are good enough, but I wish there were more options other than coilovers.

I wonder if getting the 1LE monotubes and aftermarket lowering springs will turn out to be a cost effective option for SS owners looking for a good OEM replacement?
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
DanSS24

It'll definitely help with the suspension. don't forget the sway bars also. That alone should help with the inherent SS understeer, but not completely.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
The great thing about monotube coilovers is you can adjust the dampening pressure. This allows you to set them soft similar to OEM settings or all out for the track.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #37
DanSS24

I have yet to experience coilovers much less monotube coilovers. Being that I love firm but controllable handling, I know that rated lowering springs with monotube dampers are a great compromise for monotube coilovers, just not adjustable. Once I get my Camaro, whether it be SS or 1LE, I know that monotube coilovers are for me.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #38
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Yeah OP I plan on getting a 1LE and driving it daily. I'm already used to a hard ride in my current car and couldn't care less about the ride in the Camaro. Obviously this kind of car isn't for you. I'd rather compromise a little ride comfort then compromise handling performance. And another thing, reviews I've read from people who have actually driven a 1LE say the ride isn't that bad.
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #39
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
I have yet to experience coilovers much less monotube coilovers. Being that I love firm but controllable handling, I know that rated lowering springs with monotube dampers are a great compromise for monotube coilovers, just not adjustable. Once I get my Camaro, whether it be SS or 1LE, I know that monotube coilovers are for me.
To me, coilovers are like a big cam. Increase in performance but only for a tracked car. A street car needs to understand the downsides like noisy suspension for starters.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #40
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
To me, coilovers are like a big cam. Increase in performance but only for a tracked car. A street car needs to understand the downsides like noisy suspension for starters.
?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #41
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I kinda see your logic. I'm running twin tube koni's right now...so it's like a mild cam...better than OEM but still too soft for my taste. When I install my Bilstein monotube dampers, that should be like a hot cam. Because my ride ('08 Charger R/T) is still too comfortable, but better than stock, i'm hoping with the Bilsteins, it will be firm but controllable. Now if, big if, I change to monotube coilovers, that will be a different story...kinda like a big cam used only for the race track. Only thing different is with monotube coilovers, the adjustability is there. You can't adjust a big cam.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #42
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
I've been driving a car with a stiff suspension for over 5 years now....

A harsh ride will not stop me from making the purchase.