Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I'm jealous...I would love to run without trays...if I still had my house with garage, I would do it. But now I'm in a complex with trees and airborne crap and it sits out in all the tropical storms down here. I even cover the vents at night to keep the crap out. Small price to pay for the look they give the car....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I know Steve @ HPE never has the drip pans on. He lives in Florida where they get alot of rain at times but then again I don't know how much he drives his car in the rain.
Honestly, I'd love to leave my pans off. Obviously, it lets me heat escape. But, I also have an EmblemPros underhood bowtie and without the tabs on the pans pushed outward to help support the fireblanket it tends to sag so I keep the pans on most of the time.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Rickey
IOM4EVR

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT1/RS
I had the vents installed last Aug at camarofest. In Feb. I had to have a coil replaced at my expense do to not using trays. I thought the engine cover would be enough but it was not. I now run with the trays on
Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
I had the vents installed last Aug at camarofest. In Feb. I had to have a coil replaced at my expense do to not using trays. I thought the engine cover would be enough but it was not. I now run with the trays on
Ever thought about trying to convert the engine cover into a drain tray? Maybe epoxy something to it that would direct any water to drain to a safe area at the front of the engine.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I don't know how much he drives his car in the rain.
I asked him..."not much" was the answer - he's a racer and why he invented them - that and he has one of the most beautiful 3 car epoxy floored garages with every system (elec. air, water) coming down from the wall I've ever seen. He installed mine at his house....His camaro is garaged....
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I know Steve @ HPE never has the drip pans on. He lives in Florida where they get alot of rain at times but then again I don't know how much he drives his car in the rain.
Honestly, I'd love to leave my pans off. Obviously, it lets me heat escape. But, I also have an EmblemPros underhood bowtie and without the tabs on the pans pushed outward to help support the fireblanket it tends to sag so I keep the pans on most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post

I do wonder sometimes if I should install the trays back on to my vents, but I realized the design of them (which is great) is just not practical for quick installation when rain is probable.

I imagine most people only remove their trays for car shows and cruises when they know the weather is gonna be good, which I planned on doing. But once I actually popped my hood after it rained, and saw that the majority of the water hits my engine covers and maybe the frame or some rubber hoses, I decided to run with them off.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Rod knock...

I make a bit of heat under the hood and run the vents without trays.... Sitting at a light, I can see the heat waves rising out of the vents.... take em off.... wont hurt a thing... and you will relieve more heat without them... I also removed the engine cover, and the intake manifold cover...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Just giving an update to any of you guys who are still on the fence about running the vents without the trays daily :

The other day here in KY, it was like a Monsoon for most of the day, pouring down non stop. Of course I didn't put my trays in, because it isn't practical for me to pull over and screw them back in. When it was done raining hours later, I popped my hood just to see where water would be an issue, and with my setup (Roto-Fab engine covers), the only water I see is in three places :

1. The top of the covers. Too easy. A good wax job, and a weekly cleaning will solve that problem.

2. The top of the power steering reservoir. The only "issue" with this, is the reservoir is close to the accessory belts, but once again, it's just water, not oil or any type of POL.

3. The sides of the engine bay. Once again, nothing a good cleaning won't fix.

Obviously I know not everyone want's to spend 500$ + dollars on an engine cover, but with my setup, I Don't even worry about rain. I will continue to monitory my engine bay, but I can definitely tell you none of my coils or any electrical wiring on the top of my motor is even close to getting wet.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Glen e

It all depends on why you bought the vents - mine are purely cosmetic - I have no perf adds - I'll keep the trays on.

If I see the need for lowering the temp of my bay in the future, I'll run without them.

It's that simple - we all have diff needs....
Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
I appreciate the replies and comments. I think I am going to remove the splash trays for daily driving (it has only rained in San Antonio 3 times since May) since my car is garaged at home and at the office. For the occasional road trip back to Kentucky to visit family/friends I will re install the trays.
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It all depends on why you bought the vents - mine are purely cosmetic - I have no perf adds - I'll keep the trays on.

If I see the need for lowering the temp of my bay in the future, I'll run without them.

It's that simple - we all have diff needs....
Agreed with above statement.

Heck I have the Hex Vents and T3 Vents in my hood. Currently leave both in place. I live in Texas 100 + heat and never had an issue with ultra high temps in my engine bay. Two don't want to mess around taking the trays off and on. Third who really cares. My car performs just as well on or off.

In fact incorporating LEDs to my trays this week so will never be removed.

I have seen many custom painted trays which look killer at shows in place. Most people are not looking at trays being off or on at shows anyhow.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
Glen e

Great point...so lets hijac this a bit...what looks better:

The pan itself painted color of the car or black?
The mesh grate painted color of car or left black ?

Or some combo of the choices?

I think I like the black vent, black grate and pan painted to match hood.....
Old 08-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
I run mine with the vent color of the car. Grade black and splash tray black. I wanted it to be a clean look on and underneath the hood. Clean meaning no different coloring accents if that makes sense. Most of my other black accents around other parts of car.

Total different front end and wheels now but this is vents and hood still today...LOL looking at bottom picture and wondering why it took me so long to change out those OEM wheels and move over to the ZL1 front end WOW

CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Great point...so lets hijac this a bit...what looks better:

The pan itself painted color of the car or black?
The mesh grate painted color of car or left black ?

Or some combo of the choices?

I think I like the black vent, black grate and pan painted to match hood.....
I wonder what it would look like with the frame chrome with black grate and pan, sort of like the 69 cheese grater hood trim.
Attached Images