Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Stabilitrak on 5th gen?

Is this Stabilitrak thing going to be standard equipment on the 5th gen? I'm not too familiar with it. But it is a must have for me as I will be driving this thing in all types of weather. If its not on the V8 model, it will be a deal breaker for me as far as getting the Camaro.

Anybody have any experience driving cars like the CTS with stabilitrak in rain and snow? Does it work well?
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I don't know for fact if it's going in, but I thought stabilitrak was supposed to be standard in ALL cars here in a few years.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I didn't know that (^)

But if it wasn't at least an option - I'd be very surprised.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i hate stabilitrac. i dont know what other vehicles its on, but i drove a 05 sts that had it and it was terrible in the snow.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I don't even want to buy a vehicle without some kind of stability control.

I have little doubt it will be at least available on the 5th Gen. Especially considering my '02 had some kind of stability control (forget what it was called).

With a RWD vehicle, imo, it is a must if you are driving in all weather.

EDIT- I realize what was on my '02. Traction Control. How exactly does that differ from Stability Control?

Last edited by EllwynX; 12-19-2007 at 09:59 AM.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Stability control must be standard on all new vehicles by law, if not now then in a couple years. The Camaro will have some sort of stability control, though I don't doubt at all that GM will tweak it in the meantime so it won't be exactly like what is out now.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
how will this effect handling/racing/burnouts?

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
My car better not have any of this control stuff!
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
lol if my 2005 colorado pickup came std with traction control has it and all the cars in the chevy line have it now except for the aveo it will be on the production car. also for times when you dont want it you CAN TURN IT OFF. you can still burn out with it, just make sure to get the locking rear diff. so dont fretm, but also dont bash it, my dads friend bought a corvette after getting the fever when he went throught the corvette factory. 1 week after he bought it he decided to see how it handled with out the T/C on...

he hit a patch of gravel, the t/c didn't adjust for his speed on the 2 drive wheels and it spun him off the road and he flipped it twice. True story, moderate HP + crappy road conditions is no bueno. use the T/C its your friend. honestly are you really trying for the best track time every time you are drive around the block.....
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
My Mustang GT has Traction Control, and it sucks. It applies the brakes AND cuts the throttle when it detects any wheel slippage. I can definitely understand how this system could save lives, and it's kicked on at times when I needed it, but here's my complaint with it. It turns on every time the car is turned on, there's no way to change the default setting of this. It would have been better (IMO) if there was a way to have it come on only when needed by the driver. There have been times when I wanted to take off quick from a light and as soon as a wheel starts spinning, the engine would almost stall itself out.

Bottom line: I know when it's raining outside. I know when it's snowing outside. I know when I will need Traction Control activated. A car shouldn't do the thinking for me.

However, it's a moot point because when I installed my Diablo Predator tune, I was able to permanently disable it, which is what I will do on my Camaro also.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
My Mustang GT has Traction Control, and it sucks. It applies the brakes AND cuts the throttle when it detects any wheel slippage. I can definitely understand how this system could save lives, and it's kicked on at times when I needed it, but here's my complaint with it. It turns on every time the car is turned on, there's no way to change the default setting of this. It would have been better (IMO) if there was a way to have it come on only when needed by the driver. There have been times when I wanted to take off quick from a light and as soon as a wheel starts spinning, the engine would almost stall itself out.

Bottom line: I know when it's raining outside. I know when it's snowing outside. I know when I will need Traction Control activated. A car shouldn't do the thinking for me.

However, it's a moot point because when I installed my Diablo Predator tune, I was able to permanently disable it, which is what I will do on my Camaro also.
There's no way to turn it on and off? There was a switch right in the console of my '02 to turn it on and off whenever you wanted.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I owned a 2005 G6 traction control sucked. you pull out and instead of spinning a little and getting traction it cut all power, left me sitting in traffic until i hit the off button more than once took it a lot longer to correct the problem than it did for me to do it manually. I hated it.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
I owned a 2005 G6 traction control sucked. you pull out and instead of spinning a little and getting traction it cut all power, left me sitting in traffic until i hit the off button more than once took it a lot longer to correct the problem than it did for me to do it manually. I hated it.
In my Camaro I was always impressed with how well it worked. I remember a few times the back end started to swing out it would kick in and it'd straighten right up. It was flawless pretty much.

I hope they put one as good in the new Camaro...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
There's no way to turn it on and off? There was a switch right in the console of my '02 to turn it on and off whenever you wanted.
I wouldn't mind having some sort of stability control system as long as I could totally disable it if I want to. Most of the time I'm not driving full out anyway so I doubt it'll be very intrusive and could be helpful in emergency situations.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote