Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
My manual V6's night at the track

I hope V6s are allowed to play here? Because yes, I bought mine primarily for a DD, but it wanted to play too. So I hope that's OK.

So being a total newbie at drag racing, my main goal was to not stall. Check. My fifth run, I finally got a time that's not an embarrassment to my car - 15.54. I was very happy to get within a second of GM's advertised time with a pro driver! Temp was about 75 by that time, I left traction control & Stabilitrak alone, drove around the water. My reaction times are still lousy but I had tons of fun and I am now addicted! We'll be going back. I need to learn to shift faster.

Anyone else give their V6 a try? Please share!

And since yes, I know, pics or it didn't happen:
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Great job to be within a second while drag racing. I take it this was your first time as well?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
congrats on getting it out there.

i like that picture with the other guy about to break the beams with his rear tires, and you still sitting there lol
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
What did the other guy run?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
man

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
11.008 @ 117.17 but it shows a higher reaction time which is not consistant with the photo. Plus, an 11 second TA is pretty impressive so my guess is that ticket is not for that run.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Awesome! I am glad you had fun. Told you it's addicting. Hubby grew up at the drag strip and has worked on high performance cars since he was 12. He's worked for Bob Glidden, Larry Morgan and for Reher-Morrison/Bruce Allen for 10 years. I always loved when we went to the races! There is nothing like standing up on the line behind two Top Fuelers as they go down the track.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
Pretty impressive for 1st timer! I'm glad to see some info on how the V6 is performing. Thanks for sharing.
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
What rpm did you shift at? Even with a 2.3 60' time your mph should be a bit higher. Congrats on getting out to the track, it sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Great job to be within a second while drag racing. I take it this was your first time as well?
Thanks! Yes, I am a total noob at this. In my first run I made the acquaintance of the rev limiter - time was too embarrassing to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
congrats on getting it out there.

i like that picture with the other guy about to break the beams with his rear tires, and you still sitting there lol
Hehe yeah, my reaction time sux! Need to work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
11.008 @ 117.17 but it shows a higher reaction time which is not consistant with the photo. Plus, an 11 second TA is pretty impressive so my guess is that ticket is not for that run.
You're right. I did have a photo of the run on the ticket but it was dark by then and it wasn't a very good pic. I was actually up with a super-sweet, blown early-70s Plymouth. I think the TA in the photo was doing low 13s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
Awesome! I am glad you had fun. Told you it's addicting. Hubby grew up at the drag strip and has worked on high performance cars since he was 12. He's worked for Bob Glidden, Larry Morgan and for Reher-Morrison/Bruce Allen for 10 years. I always loved when we went to the races! There is nothing like standing up on the line behind two Top Fuelers as they go down the track.
Yes! My husband didn't have as goood a night - he's very ticked at his car, so it'll be him I have to work to get to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
What rpm did you shift at? Even with a 2.3 60' time your mph should be a bit higher. Congrats on getting out to the track, it sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Thanks, yes it was a great time! I was shifting around 6500rpm. That's also something I'll need to experiment with.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I think you can take it to 7000 rpm, so experiment with how close you can get to that without hitting the rev limiter-it will screw up your time if you do. Take your time getting used to it and have fun.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Great job at getting out there and running!!!

For time trials / Test and Tune, don't worry about your reaction time... concentrate more on your launch and shifting... Remember Reaction Time doesn't mean anything... your ET is strictly based on breaking the beams... RT has no bearing on it!

Also... pulled up the weather conditions for you run... not the best weather! Definitely slowing you down a bit!

Looking forward to hearing more about your track adventures!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote