Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Does anyone else do this?

So you know when you're at a red light on a two lane (each way) road, and you're first in line? Most of the time it's just some regular cookie cutter car next to you. Well, this was the case today. I wasn't really even paying attention, but it was a couple of young guys in some kind of hatchback. The light turns green and they take off. Not just normal acceleration, but it seemed like they really had the pedal down.

I had no intentions of doing anything wild, but as soon as I see this car next to me take off, I just. Can't. Resist. I didn't floor it or anything, but I was a bit judicious with the go pedal. Of course I was looking at them in the rear view a second later. And of course, I let off the gas when I reached the speed limit (this isn't a street racing thread).

I like to open her up sometimes when I have the road to myself, but I usually try to maintain some road manners when there is traffic around. But damn it, it's so hard to resist. A car takes off hard next to me, and I feel like, what are they thinking? I feel almost obligated to show them the error of their ways. I guess what I'm saying is, other people make it hard for me to drive my car conservatively.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
It's even more difficult when you're nine year old is actively looking for people to race and cheering you on as you pass by minivans and such, haha
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Only every. single. time. It sounds so pompous and douchey, I know, but I have some sort of mental block and can't allow a car that I know is slower than mine jet out ahead of me at a 2 lane stop light. And it's not just an "I think I'm fast" thing, this happens with every car I drive, even my F150. I'm naturally too competitive I think.

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Only every. single. time. It sounds so pompous and douchey, I know, but I have some sort of mental block and can't allow a car that I know is slower than mine jet out ahead of me at a 2 lane stop light. And it's not just an "I think I'm fast" thing, this happens with every car I drive, even my F150. I'm naturally too competitive I think.
I'm glad it's not just me. A lot of times, I get in the car and I think to myself, "OK, I'm just gonna drive normally." Then I'll be stuck behind someone doing 10 under, or someone that blasts off from a light, and well, I just have to let 'er rip. I know what you mean; it does sound kind of douchey, but that's really not me. Most of the time, I don't like all the attention the Camaro grabs, but on the other hand, I do like driving this phenomenal car.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
They always look so much better in the rear view mirror
Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I'm glad it's not just me. A lot of times, I get in the car and I think to myself, "OK, I'm just gonna drive normally." Then I'll be stuck behind someone doing 10 under, or someone that blasts off from a light, and well, I just have to let 'er rip. I know what you mean; it does sound kind of douchey, but that's really not me. Most of the time, I don't like all the attention the Camaro grabs, but on the other hand, I do like driving this phenomenal car.
I hear you. I'm a very down-to-earth kinda guy in all other aspects, but I get mildly aggressive while driving. I can't blame you one bit, especially with that blower. I'm saving up for a maggie 2300 myself. Quick question and I hate to take this thread off topic but did you get the 3.70 before or after the 2300? I'm looking to stay NA but can't decide between 3.70/3.91

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways

Last edited by Bmatth1162; 08-24-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Self control. I let the other vehicle (import, minivan, sedan, or muscle) act the fool.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I hear you. I'm a very down-to-earth kinda guy in all other aspects, but I get mildly aggressive while driving. I can't blame you one bit, especially with that blower. I'm saving up for a maggie 2300 myself. Quick question and I hate to take this thread off topic but did you get the 3.73 before or after the 2300? I'm looking to stay NA but can't decide between 3.73/3.91
I got the gears first (actually 3.70). They were one heck of an upgrade. I love them! When I researched gears, I read that 3.70 or 3.73 was the way to go for the auto, and 3.91 is best for the LS3. Take the 1LE for example, I know the tranny is geared a bit different, but they decided to put 3.91's (or thereabouts) in that bad boy. I do have some traction issues now, but I'm going with a wider tire, wider rims and Michelins very soon, so I'm hoping that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Self control. I let the other vehicle (import, minivan, sedan, or muscle) act the fool.
I know this is what I should do, but instead I end up wasting about a gallon of gas and some tread on my P-zeros it's just too hard to resist sometimes

Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Every moment you're in your Camaro it's tempting to punch it let alone somebody next to you messing around but people ruined old fashioned street mischief with too many crashes and nonsense. Ohio has a lot of harsh penalties for it to.

I have to find corn fields in Nowhere, Illinois just to spin my tires or Smokey will be all over my car.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
EXACTLY. don't think I could've said this better myself
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
I really like to do it when some butt-wipe in an 8,000lb pick-up does it.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
I cant get any play! I dont know if its the license plate, or the supercharger whine or the cam or a combo of all. 5.0, 392, SS, ZL1 you name it with the exception on of my buddies 14 GT500. So sad........
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I kind of do the opposite. I just don't feel like messing with the people. So if I'm at a light beside someone who looks like they want to go then I just wait when it turns green and let them do their thing. Then I casually drive off. I think I'm just too old for it anymore.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Glad I'm not the only one. Im guilty of doing it on the acceleration ramp to the highway also. I point out a car that I don't want in front of me and gun it...And stop lights Im perfectly normal until someone tries to jump out too quickly then i lose it...
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote