Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Voided Warranties?

I am hearing conflicting things and haven't read the fine print yet - what's the word on GM voiding warranties for drag racing?

Texas Motor Speedway is hosting drag racing on Friday nights this summer... and I definitely want to go and give my Baby a few runs... that said, I value my warranty more than a 1/4 mile time.

Thoughts?

PS - yes, I did search the forum before posting this message.

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
They cannot void your warranty. However "racing" that causes damage is not covered by warranty. It would be too easy to say that if you do one little "infraction" they would not cover any claims. Not able to be done. The only thing that would void a warranty would be fraud such as odometer tampering.

I had a friend that put aftermarket rims on his truck. The truck had rear end problems and the dealer said it was not covered because of the rims. He fought it and the dealer was wrong. Any mods that are done must be proved to be the leading cause of the failure to not be covered.

Last edited by dayvedayve; 06-30-2009 at 12:01 PM.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
Well unless you pull into their service bay with the track # paint still on your car I don't know how they would prove you were at the track.... Unless they have a employee at the track writing down your VIN #.
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
I really don't think that can/will happen on a "stock" car, now, once you mod it, all bets are off. What I'm saying is, what is the difference between you starting from a dead stop on the street, showing your neighbor the acceleration, vs at the track....1 is racing 1 is not, they are both equally hard on the car. Unless you have modified the vehicle, thus producing more power than stock, thus putting more strain on the engine and drivetrain, the car should have been built to withstand the rigors of "spirited" driving...UNDER warranty.

Of course every dealer will have a different interpretation, but if the car manufacturer is quoting acceleration numbers as a selling point, I don't see where they have a leg to stand on here.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
They can't void your warreaty because of this. If something does break and it could be the cause (dumping the clutch etc), they could then deny warranty work for that item.

Crowley
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Have fun at the track and don't worry about it. Your car will be fine and your warrenty will still be good.

As mentioned, if something did happen (which would be extremely rare for a new car making stock power), have your car towed home. Then have it towed to the dealership to be fixed.

Just don't walk into the service department and say " I smoked my clutch racing at the track."

Quick funny story
I watched this crazy kid with a new Mustang GT at our local 1/8 mile track. The track was basically empty (only a few of us) and he would make one run right after another run. Because the track was so empty, he could pull right up and make another run (with no cool down at all). I was parked on the side of the track (letting my car cool and rest) watching him make run after run. I watched him make 21 runs down the track in a row without letting his car cool down. He finally pulled his car off to the parking area. About 15 minutes later, he decided to make another run. He started his car and tried to put it into gear and it wouldn't go. His tranny was fried. He had to have his car towed home. This was a brand new Mustang GT.

So if you abuse your car anything can happen.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Quick funny story
I watched this crazy kid with a new Mustang GT at our local 1/8 mile track. The track was basically empty (only a few of us) and he would make one run right after another run. Because the track was so empty, he could pull right up and make another run (with no cool down at all). I was parked on the side of the track (letting my car cool and rest) watching him make run after run. I watched him make 21 runs down the track in a row without letting his car cool down. He finally pulled his car off to the parking area. About 15 minutes later, he decided to make another run. He started his car and tried to put it into gear and it wouldn't go. His tranny was fried. He had to have his car towed home. This was a brand new Mustang GT.

So if you abuse your car anything can happen.
Ouch! I bet he blamed it on the tranny, too.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
If you go this is my advice.

1. Don't post about it.
2. Cover up your VIN number.
3. Cover your plate number.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
johnh

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
I'd worry more about my insurance company coverage than Warranty Coverage...

I was told here in Michigan your auto insurance doesn't cover "timed events"...
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh View Post
I'd worry more about my insurance company coverage than Warranty Coverage...

I was told here in Michigan your auto insurance doesn't cover "timed events"...
I bet thats the case for most states and insurance.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post

1. Don't post about it.
I am leaning exactly this way... if I go.

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post

1. Don't post about it.
This would only apply if you break down at the track...

Drag racing is safe and legal and not going to affect your warranty unless you start mods and tune.

Insurance is your only worry... I saw a guy bounce off of two walls in a stock Miata 2 weeks ago due to anti-freeze that got spilled 3/4 of the way down the track. Try expaining that one to your insurance...

Just keep it stock, be safe... and post your numbers here with the rest of us...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
mlee,

I'm coming from a SRT4 and this happened many times. . . guys would take their car to the races and there were "under cover" mopar guys there. They wrote down all the vin's of the cars and "flagged" them in the system.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I was thinking it would make a kinda funny "punked" type of video.

You buy a 1SS and come back a couple days later with a huge blower sticking out of the hood and some headers going into straight pipe. Then add a little 2 stroke oil so it's smoking a bit.

And take it to the service center and start bitching about this and that being broken and how you had nothing to do with it. All while starting up and revving the engine.

Ok so I watch way to much you've been punked.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote