Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
And from a straight-up practical standpoint, if you are not a frequent tracker, or, a slowpoke on track, you don't *need*:

- Carbon brakes
- Torsen diff
- Forged wheels
- Dry sump engine
- Tranny and diff coolers
- 50 treadwear race-rubber tires
- DSSV Dampers

Face facts and be honest how you will use a car. If you just like the look of the car, and never plan to visit a track, buy a different model and/or add some cosmetic items and make your wallet happy.

Anyone here know how much those Trofeo tires cost? ~$540 ea. You'll get about 5000-7000 street miles out of a set. Or 4 track days if you're an aggressive driver and are careful to properly adjust hot pressures.

Chevy clearly said, this car is not for most people. You already know "speed costs, how fast do you want to go?" :-)
I agree with this except the fact of "frequent" tracker or not. If you "can" use it, it doesn't matter how often it's used.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I agree with this except the fact of "frequent" tracker or not. If you "can" use it, it doesn't matter how often it's used.
That's a good point, but I think in this case if you track at all, having a Z/28 would be hard to justify unless it was done "frequently".....

For me, with my '11SS, I've thoroughly enjoyed the times I have tracked mine....But, I have yet to do any serious mods for the track, or even reach the limits of stock brakes, tires, etc.....I'll get there soon enough, and I go to the track what I feel is frequently enough for me....but not near enough to pull the trigger on a Z/28...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
That's a good point, but I think in this case if you track at all, having a Z/28 would be hard to justify unless it was done "frequently".....

For me, with my '11SS, I've thoroughly enjoyed the times I have tracked mine....But, I have yet to do any serious mods for the track, or even reach the limits of stock brakes, tires, etc.....I'll get there soon enough, and I go to the track what I feel is frequently enough for me....but not near enough to pull the trigger on a Z/28...
OK with caveat; can afford the car. If one can afford the car and can use it, it shouldn't matter how often it's used. They may not have the time or may have numerous other toys they play with.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:
OK with caveat; can afford the car. If one can afford the car and can use it, it shouldn't matter how often it's used. They may not have the time or may have numerous other toys they play with.
...For sure....no laws regarding how to own one...and probably no two situations will be identical....But, yeah, would seem not wise to stretch yourself thin financially on this one, then not be able to afford to enjoy it as much as you thought you would at the track....
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...For sure....no laws regarding how to own one...and probably no two situations will be identical....But, yeah, would seem not wise to stretch yourself thin financially on this one, then not be able to afford to enjoy it as much as you thought you would at the track....
I agree big boy "toys" are expensive to buy and own.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
IMO Chevy is making a big mistake with the Z28. Pricing it "just north" of a ZL1 is going to put in close to the price of a Z06. Except for a few collectors, I don't think this is going to take off well. A stock ZL1 is a decent track car already. Put a few mods on it and it screams...same goes for the 1LE or even an SS. Hell, the new C7 is priced at 51K.

I love my camaro but I wouldn't spend 65-70K on a new one, even a z28..
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Lookin' very familiar
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Lookin' very familiar
Nice...they should change the design of that sticker on the window, though...

....It almost looks like a lemon....lol....
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
And from a straight-up practical standpoint, if you are not a frequent tracker, or, a slowpoke on track, you don't *need*:

- Carbon brakes
- Torsen diff
- Forged wheels
- Dry sump engine
- Tranny and diff coolers
- 50 treadwear race-rubber tires
- DSSV Dampers

Face facts and be honest how you will use a car. If you just like the look of the car, and never plan to visit a track, buy a different model and/or add some cosmetic items and make your wallet happy.

Anyone here know how much those Trofeo tires cost? ~$540 ea. You'll get about 5000-7000 street miles out of a set. Or 4 track days if you're an aggressive driver and are careful to properly adjust hot pressures.

Chevy clearly said, this car is not for most people. You already know "speed costs, how fast do you want to go?" :-)
What adds to the bellyache is that I think I'm EXACTLY who this car is made for. I would drive it thousands of miles on the roads probably even up to vermont and maybe in the winter too...sneaking between the weather...and during the hpde season I would beat the hell out of it with a set of goodyear slicks (that I can finally carry in the actual car), maybe use the trofeo's as rains...20-40 days in a season at northeast tracks. I would not race it/cage it...been there done that...nope this car would stay stock except for the race rubber on some purner wheels, simpson belts, steel rotors (might need to run some ducts from the fog light openings) hawk blues, ap racing super 600, tow loops, crossbar for belts, and traqmate. I would have much to play with at the Glen.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...capitalism does have it's downside.....ADM....the Z/28 will sit on a 19" square setup. This is the way to go. On the street the front runners will be a bit unruly in tight slow speed turns.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
What adds to the bellyache is that I think I'm EXACTLY who this car is made for. I would drive it thousands of miles on the roads probably even up to vermont and maybe in the winter too...sneaking between the weather...and during the hpde season I would beat the hell out of it with a set of goodyear slicks (that I can finally carry in the actual car), maybe use the trofeo's as rains...20-40 days in a season at northeast tracks. I would not race it/cage it...been there done that...nope this car would stay stock except for the race rubber on some purner wheels, simpson belts, steel rotors (might need to run some ducts from the fog light openings) hawk blues, ap racing super 600, tow loops, crossbar for belts, and traqmate. I would have much to play with at the Glen.
You do sound like the exact target buyer. I feel you brother. We'd surely enjoy hanging out in the paddock together at the track.

Look, lock in a deal now with a dealer. Sign a buyers order noting "MSRP" and your position on the "list". Place a deposit ($1000?), with written "refundable" notation. Then sit tight until GM releases pricing. If it comes in above your affordability level, just give up your order and retrieve your deposit. Easy-peazy. Be happy with how much you will save on tires :-)

Anyone who does not lock in a deal, in writing, now, has no one but themselves to blame if they do not get an allocation or are subjected to ADM. It's how the game works for men who are serious buyers :-) There are plenty of dealers who you can lock a deal with, right now.

For those (not aimed at you BTTT's) that can't afford the $65-70k or whatever this thing comes in at, don't be a hater and a whiner and try to convince everyone how GM should have left off a bunch of the goodies so you could afford to buy one. Instead, put aside your very fully-formed sense of entitlement for one time, and be proud that Chevy, fricken Chevy, had the balls to make a car like this happen. It is a very rare thing in today's world when the true enthusiasts win out. And we did win on this, big time.

So did Chevy- the new Z/28 and Corvette have shown GM reinvented themselves in the most amazing way. In today's FU'd economic, governmental and corporate world, the company my tax dollars continue to bail out, gave me something the F back. And for that, I am appreciative.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #26
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
What adds to the bellyache is that I think I'm EXACTLY who this car is made for. I would drive it thousands of miles on the roads probably even up to vermont and maybe in the winter too...sneaking between the weather...and)
PS- you can't use the Trofeos in the winter, the rubber on the sidewalls will crack. Below 40f the rubber gets brittle. It is a true race compound rubber made in the same vats as their (F1) race tires. The tires actually ship with applied stickers on each one with a warning to not try to mount/dismount them below 40f.

A dedicated set of snow tires will be your friend.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Look, lock in a deal now with a dealer. Sign a buyers order noting "MSRP" and your position on the "list". Place a deposit ($1000?), with written "refundable" notation. Then sit tight until GM releases pricing. If it comes in above your affordability level, just give up your order and retrieve your deposit. Easy-peazy. Be happy with how much you will save on tires :-)

So did Chevy- the new Z/28 and Corvette have shown GM reinvented themselves in the most amazing way. In today's FU'd economic, governmental and corporate world, the company my tax dollars continue to bail out, gave me something the F back. And for that, I am appreciative.
well put!
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
PS- you can't use the Trofeos in the winter, the rubber on the sidewalls will crack. Below 40f the rubber gets brittle. It is a true race compound rubber made in the same vats as their (F1) race tires. The tires actually ship with applied stickers on each one with a warning to not try to mount/dismount them below 40f.

A dedicated set of snow tires will be your friend.
Please don't let friends drive a 5Gen Z/28 in the snow!