Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
kismyss

Drives: CGM 2SS Roto-Fab CAI, Mach XL CAT
PLEASE HELP!!! Remove Calipers for Powder Coating

I'm wanting to remove the calipers for powdercoating.
Question 1. Does the entire brake fluid need to be drained to remove calipers or can you quickly remove the hose and clamp it off so as not loose all the brake fluid?
.2 Do you just remove the star bolts on the back of the caliper and spread the calipers apart and them to reinstall use a c clamp to press the cylinder back in?
3.How in the hell do you get those 18 mm bolts off of the back of the caliper. Ive tried everything. Is there something you can recommend
4. What parts of the caliper need to come apart if I ever do get these damn things off

The car is on blocks now with the tires off so I wanted to remove them asap so i can get them to the painters any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by kismyss; 01-14-2010 at 09:47 PM.
kismyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
ZZTOM

Drives: 67 Camaro 350, 2010 2SS
I know some of this, but I would really like to know to from the pro's to.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
kismyss

Drives: CGM 2SS Roto-Fab CAI, Mach XL CAT
and how in the hell do you get those tight ass 18 millimeter bolts off of the back of the caliper. holy crap those things are tight. I've tried a socket, crescent, pipe wrench. please somebody help. I know theres gotta be some [pros that know how to do this shit
kismyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Well first off, pictures would help.

Second... you should always try an impact... it does the most work with the least collateral damage. IE your knuckles!

If you dont have an impact gun, then use the biggest ratchet you have and then take the box end of a huge wrench and slip it over the end of the ratchet to extend the handle out further, this will give you more torque to turn the bolt loose.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
You are going to have to completely disassemble the calipers to powder coat because they have to bake them. I would recommend a mechanic take apart and put back together. The powder coater must be very careful not to coat any parts that have tight clearances on the inside.
You would probably be better off buying some already powder coated and sending yours in as a core.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismyss View Post
and how in the hell do you get those tight ass 18 millimeter bolts off of the back of the caliper. holy crap those things are tight. I've tried a socket, crescent, pipe wrench. please somebody help. I know theres gotta be some [pros that know how to do this shit
To remove the 18mm bolts: I Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left,(with car on stands and wheels removed) then with wheel turned left you can get to the bolts on the passenger side caliper easier. I used a shallow 6 pt 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar, and I used the handle of my floor jack as a cheater bar slipped over the breaker bar. Worked great (impact wouldn't touch it). Then turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and do the drivers side.