Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Bored of the ZL1 vs GT500, bring on the 1LE vs...

... the Boss. First round between the ZL1 and the Shelby was a tie. Time for the true naturally aspirated muscle to meet head to head on the drag strip and road course. I'm going out on a limb a calling another tie, but it will be fun to see.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I think the Boss will win hands down ... The power to weight will kill the 1LE
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
A tie...no I think the gt500 won unfortunately

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
SynergyMike

Drives: 2012 2SS Synergy Edition, 1979 Z-28
This may have been hashed out already, but why do you think GM didn't tweak the LS3 for the 1LE package just a smidgen? Maybe to not piss off the Corvette guys? I think a factory 20HP bump would have been nice for this car.

2012 Ashen Gray 2SS/RS Synergy Camaro
All stock (so far..)

1979 Camaro Z-28
Sub-frame off resto-mod, Holley Avenger EFI, 355 roller-cammed small-block, TH-400, Flowmaster exhaust
SynergyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Scott 78

Drives: 2014 SIM SS 6M
GT500 won in the straight line war sure. Zl1 more than made up for that on the road course though. Not to mention the skid pad.
Scott 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I think the Boss will win hands down ... The power to weight will kill the 1LE
I'm not so sure. If the suspension allows for higher cornering speeds?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
A tie...no I think the gt500 won unfortunately

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Here is how I look at it or what I read technically.....

The GT500 wins over the ZL1 straight line in stock form. The GT500 motor is more tapped out compared to the ZL1. This means you will be able to squeeze much more out of the ZL1 compared to the GT500. This may not matter to some but it will to 90% of the people who end up modding their cars for improvement.

Simply put, GM could have made the ZL1 even more of a beast but they did not want to challenge their own creation, The Corvette.

Now when the Corvette steps up its game even more then the ZL1 will have even more wiggle room.

My opinion (which Im entitled to) the ZL1 is still a better over all car in regards to performance. There is just so much more to unlock.

Ex) The Mitsubishi Lancer vs. Subaru WRX STI

The Subaru STI had alot of potential to tap into power from a stock form. The Mitsubishi Lancer was maxed out and as you started modding it you pretty much had to start rebuilding the motor. Bad example maybe...

Great job I must say by GM. They played this one smart and Im sure could have went crazy but they made a "business" decision for the best.
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
GT500 won in the straight line war sure. Zl1 more than made up for that on the road course though. Not to mention the skid pad.
I saw the skid pad test. Who ran the road course test? Link please.

I think the boss 302 will beat the 1LE in acceleration. Higher Redline. More horsepower. Lighter Weight. Lower gearing. I don't see the 1LE having a chance here unless GM really did increase hp, but not announce it. Even if they did the Boss still had a weight advantage. I think the boss has run 12.4 sec 1/4 miles in magazine testing. I don't see the 1LE doing that.

I think the 1LE has a chance of beating the boss on the track. The ZL1 beat the boss in a motortrend comparision and they said it was not due to the extra horsepower. However, the ZL1 has magnetic suspension. Will what the 1LE gets be good enough to beat the boss? Not sure. I think it can go either way.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyle007 View Post
Here is how I look at it or what I read technically.....

The GT500 wins over the ZL1 straight line in stock form. The GT500 motor is more tapped out compared to the ZL1. This means you will be able to squeeze much more out of the ZL1 compared to the GT500. This may not matter to some but it will to 90% of the people who end up modding their cars for improvement.

Simply put, GM could have made the ZL1 even more of a beast but they did not want to challenge their own creation, The Corvette.

Now when the Corvette steps up its game even more then the ZL1 will have even more wiggle room.

My opinion (which Im entitled to) the ZL1 is still a better over all car in regards to performance. There is just so much more to unlock.

Ex) The Mitsubishi Lancer vs. Subaru WRX STI

The Subaru STI had alot of potential to tap into power from a stock form. The Mitsubishi Lancer was maxed out and as you started modding it you pretty much had to start rebuilding the motor. Bad example maybe...

Great job I must say by GM. They played this one smart and Im sure could have went crazy but they made a "business" decision for the best.
Please do explain this to me because last time I checked their were LSA's blowing up after 650+ RWHP and the 2011-2012 5.4 doesn't. I'm not arguing I'd just like you to explain how you believe the 5.8 is tapped out...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
cbass

Quote:
I don't think so. I think the forged internals of the GT500 give it an advantage when it comes to modifications. The bigger blower stock is also an advantage.

Quote:
This is where GM is screwed. They can't steal sales from the vette so they are limited with what they can do. I also think that once the vette is upgraded that the ZL1 will see changes, but at that point we might be on a new generation camaro or limited by new CARB standards.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
IMO the 1LE is the one to have. You could make the engine more powerful than the Z with the money you save.
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I don't think GM would call out the Boss as its competitor without them knowing what it can do on the track. With the information we have it should be very close. Maybe there is still more to be revealed with 1LE but we shall see. I'm thinking everything the 1LE has as a package will add up to impressive track results, without a boost in horsepower. This time GM has the advantage of going second and they know what the Boss can do.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
cbass

Quote:
Maybe there is still more to be revealed with 1LE but we shall see
I have been thinking (actually more hoping) that they might considering there is limited information and still no pricing. I am not sure if anything will be revealed with the engine though. The press releases have said it will just get the 426hp LS3.

The transmission cooler and upgraded fuel system will be nice. What does the boss do for cooling? Is there any cooling added to the MT82 of the boss?

I am surprised that with the 1LE claims of 1g lateral acceleration that there are no oiling upgrades. I also haven't seen anything about a differential cooler.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Supposedly, the 1LE ran a faster time around the VIR than the BOSS 302 LS did.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote