Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Apparently the Carbotech pad compounds are all compatible with one another, but I have no knowledge about how that is accomplished.

I don't personally have any Carbotech street pad experience because I went straight from a Hawk HP+/HPS combination to XP8's at both ends, XP8 representing the beginning of their XP track pad series.

FWIW, XP8's dust slightly less than HP+ but quite a bit more than HPS. As for noise, that seems to be a sometimes nothing, sometimes quite a lot kind of thing, which I guess isn't bad at all for track pads. My wife hears noise more often than I do because her high-frequency hearing is better than mine.

Norm
Lol. Of course she hears it.

The issue I had with the HP+s is that they made noise without braking.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
CrystalRedTintcoat

Problem solved. I bled all four brake bleeder valves on the front calipers. NO AIR. I think the fact I'm using old stock pads (the ones I replaced for track pads) and new rotors and haven't burnished them yet they are soft and compared to the Hawk HP+s they are super soft.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I just removed my Hawk ceramic pads to spray on Permatex disc brake quiet. I retracted the pistons enough to get the pads back in. I didn't open master cylinder or bleed anything, and I haven't had any problems. The pedal dropped on first application, but a couple of pumps brought it right back up. Was I just lucky?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #18
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I just removed my Hawk ceramic pads to spray on Permatex disc brake quiet. I retracted the pistons enough to get the pads back in. I didn't open master cylinder or bleed anything, and I haven't had any problems. The pedal dropped on first application, but a couple of pumps brought it right back up. Was I just lucky?
I think you're meant to leave the master cylinder lid open when you retract the pistons if for no other reason than to make sure you don't "overfill" the reservoir.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
That's what 90% of people will do when doing a pad change, but the proper way is to open the bleeder when compressing the calipers, then do a short bleed once completed. This ensures that you have removed all of the dirty/contaminated and possibly boiled fluid in the calipers. As short bleed of the calipers is not a bad idea to do between track days or every other track day.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote